Home > Sales Promotion > Do You Need a Sample to Sell Your Product ?

Do You Need a Sample to Sell Your Product ?

In food, beverages and other diiferent types of sales, the sales people very often using samples that they show to potential customers, hopping to make a sale.

Does anybody familiar with this way of Selling ?

Do you really need a sample to make a sale or not ? - by vista
I give out a lot of Avon samples and I think it helps with my sales. I don't think it is "necessary" though. With my products, many people already know what fragrances and make-up items they like. Because of the guarantee with Avon products, people aren't afraid to buy something without having sampled it. - by ozzie
In food, beverages and other diiferent types of sales, the sales people very often using samples that they show to potential customers, hopping to make a sale.

Do you really need a sample to make a sale or not ?
In food sales I'm fairly certain that samples are the norm. The chef wants to see what you're offering. - by Sensei
I sell some digital content in the form of written articles and produced music.

The sites I use offer a portion of the articles for reading, and a portion or all of the music with an audio watermark for auditioning them. - by Ricardo
It simply depends to the kind of product you're promoting. I'm selling handphones in my place. I always have different models of phones for testing for them to be aware of the special features of my product. A sample is always a plus factor in selling. - by shinningstar
A sample can come in my shapes and forms. When you go to buy a car you will normally take it for a test drive. This is the dealership's way of letting you "sample" the product, so to speak. Some products you just have to try to determine if you want to buy or not. With other products it is sufficient to learn more about the features and benefits. To stay with the car example, if I need a new set of tires, I would probably not need to test drive the tires. Having the sales person tell me the difference between different tires I am looking at will be enough for me to make a decision. - by MarkS
Yes , i do give samples if the client request for it, but most of the time they dont, so its not big issue - by mtajim
Try before you buy, samples are good if they donít cost your business too much ;wi - by Tony Dunne
The doctor need to know how good your prouct is. So we have samples to give them. The sample of pharmaceutical products is printed with the sentences like "SAMPLE. NOT FOR SALE". - by kenny0011
I sell a 12 talk audio sales training programme - and give away one of the talks as a sample donwload and 2 free talks when I give away sample CDs. This is from the point of view that my prospect has to test the 'tools' in their own experience; that the value of our product is in the way it makes information usable, not in the cleverness of the information.

So for us, one 15 minute free seminar (1/12th of a complete process) is enough for someone to audition on their commute; to pick up a useful insight and to put it to work that same day.

Andddd..... I could be totally wrong since this is the first such product we've produced! sn;

Ref. Snowman's point - it's inexpensive for us because it's digital content. - by Sam Deeks
I think it depends on what it is you are trying to sell. Sure samples will work fine for food items, but you can't really do that with couches or houses. Some sellers do let people try out items though for a trial period. I hear announcements all the time for the Temper Pedic Beds, where you can use the mattress for a month at no obligation. Hopefully you will become hooked on the product and then buy. - by Boxurian

It depends on what you are selling. If you are in the window treatment trade, you would be advised to have fabric and design samples. In insurance, a minority might use "sample policies" if only to reinforce a verbal statement.

BUT...MUCH more important is the fact that if you DO use samples, you should MASTER how to present them...ALWAYS with complete control. NEVER allow yourself to compete with a sample for the prospect's attention. - by Ace Coldiron

If you have noticed not only Avon but Mary Kay and many others offer samples also when larger corporations come out with a new product that is one of the ways they use to promote the product. They will offer discounts or coupons to get you to try it. So I believe if you can use a sample then by all means do so. - by MPrince
It all depends upon the type of product you deal with. According to the product you said, food & beverages generally needs a sample to go with (unless it doesn't costs you too much). - by dowal1
As mentioned above it depends on product.

However, it also depends on venue as well. For example: When you go into a grocery store and you see a sample lady, shes wanting you to try a sample. Sometimes it's for a sale and other times it's simply a product promotion.

How about those door-to-door meat and ice cream salespeople? I like the ice cream people because they will give you a taste ;bg of the product before you buy.

I sell promotional products and my customers don't mind looking through a paper or digital catalog. But put a sample in their hands and it's a whole new game.

I've tried selling both ways. Personally, having the sample seems to close more sales for me. - by ThePromotionalGuy
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.