Home > Resistance > Send Me Literature objection

Send Me Literature objection

I know this is pretty basic but I'll ask it anyway... when a prospect says, "Send Me Literature," what do you say? - by Newbie
Do you have literature you can send him? I know you want an appointment, instead, (and this request is like fingernails on a chalk board), but if he asks for literature, I throw something together and send it to him because trying to convert this to an appointment will just tick him off. If this prospect needs babysteps and is not ready for a presentation, I give him what he wants. Don't send ALOT of info--make is short and effective.

This doesn't work as a "put off indenfinitely" for me though. Then I follow up with a phone call. "Did you have a chance to look that information over that I sent you?" "No? Oh, I know you are busy--no problem. How about if I try you back in a few days?" [now they know you are going to call back because they have seen you do what you say you will do]. Next time if they have STILL not read the materials, they will begin apologizing to YOU. By the time you are both on the same page, you have had several phone conversations and the prospect is starting to feel pretty comfortable with you. You have been patient, friendly and consistent.

If this is too much work for one sale, then I suggest you don't waste your money on the stamp and printed materials. - by RainMaker
We do have literature [a handout] I could mail.

I'm just wondering if this isn't another result that "I" am causing. My sales manager seems to think so. :( - by Newbie
IMO, the first step is to find out "why" your prospect wants the literature. What will that do for him or her? How will that help him/her with the decision? - by Calvin
IMO, the first step is to find out "why" your prospect wants the literature. What will that do for him or her? How will that help him/her with the decision?
Good point, Calvin. This is a good time for qualifying questions. Is this person currently on the market for your product/service? - by RainMaker
I know this is pretty basic but I'll ask it anyway... when a prospect says, "Send Me Literature," what do you say?
Fotr this reason I ant to make sure that each prospect comes into my funnel through my website, so they have all the info they need. Since I have had the website, I've never had this problem.

And since I write in a friendly, entertaining, non-corporate way, most prospects actually love both the content and the style of my web stuff, so they can make the best decision. - by Bald Dog
Fotr this reason I ant to make sure that each prospect comes into my funnel through my website, so they have all the info they need. Since I have had the website, I've never had this problem.

And since I write in a friendly, entertaining, non-corporate way, most prospects actually love both the content and the style of my web stuff, so they can make the best decision.
Bald Dog, I looked at your web site and obviously your selling system is not consistent with the topic here which is really about handling requests for literature during cold-call telephone prospecting.

Yours is a direct response marketing approach cut in the fashion of the late Corey Rudl, and copywriters like Dan Kennedy--both experts in that field.

Frankly, I don't see the connection with the plight of people who are assigned, by their employers, the role of teleseller via cold calling. A lot of people make their living that way. Some do well. Others struggle. If someone in that field would make a decision to sell like you sell and advocate, it would require no less than a career change. - by Gary Boye
Frankly, I don't see the connection with the plight of people who are assigned, by their employers, the role of teleseller via cold calling.
Gary, you've got the point. Calling as an employee is different. I missed this important point.

My mistake. Thanks for pointing it out. - by Bald Dog
I know this is pretty basic but I'll ask it anyway... when a prospect says, "Send Me Literature," what do you say?

Statistically, in most industries over 99 percent of the requests for literature never result in a sale. However, there are exceptions such as High Tech Hardware and Software across many different industries, such as electronics, medical, engineering, etc..

If youíre not in one of those industries, you can do either of the following:

1. Say, "Iím sorry but we donít send out literature; Iím available to meet with you if this product is something you want."

2. Say, "We only send literature by email as attached files. What email address do you want me to send it to?" In that case you sho