Home > Referrals > Referral email

Referral email

Instead of asking people to give you a name and contact number of someone, just get them to email a friend and copy you in. This is much less threatening and far more effective.

You must;
  • Tell the referrer what you'll do. Just email an introduction note and nothing more.
  • Never STALK someone you get referred to, go easy, be a pro.
  • If you don't get to meet them stright away then ask for permission to send a newsletter every month or so.
  • Go easy, relax, it's a world of abundance!!!
- by Tony Dunne
Great point, snowman. I've done this and it's been successful for me. Great part about it is that if the person doing the refering forgets, or even if you get to it first, you can e-mail that person the points you'd like him or her to include in the introduction, and most of all WHY you want the introduction. For example,

"Hi there Diane, great to see you at that conference last week. If you recall, we spoke about Bob from XYZ Company. I think a service similar to what we do for your company would be great for his, too. Just a reminder that you were going to pass along my contact info to him. Feel free just to forward this, and he'll have my e-mail address."

Then end with name and telephone number. - by Coda1108
This approach didn't work well for me and I'm wondering why. I sent an email to my online customers asking them to send me referrals and offering a free gift to any customer who referred someone who purchased something. I had no responses at all. Did I go about it all wrong? - by ozzie
This approach didn't work well for me and I'm wondering why. I sent an email to my online customers asking them to send me referrals and offering a free gift to any customer who referred someone who purchased something. I had no responses at all. Did I go about it all wrong?
Try something like this....
To all my happy customers,

Who do you know who would benefit from the ____________product that I supplied to you? Just send my details to some of your friends and I’ll give both you and them a gift a free gift as a little thank you.

You’ll already know from dealing with me that I treat customers with the highest levels of respect and service so you can be confident that I’ll do the same with your friends.

Please email them with this note and copy me in and I’ll email an introduction to them and tell them how to claim their free gift.

Hope this works...... - by Tony Dunne
Thank you Snowman for your great idea. I'll try it soon and see if it works better than what I've already done in the past. The wording you posted sounds pretty good to me! ;sm - by ozzie
Referral email works for me. It's easy to gather more cliets using referral system but of course it depends to the kind of business you have. Some clients simply ignored your emails. - by shinningstar
Thank you Snowman for your great idea. I'll try it soon and see if it works better than what I've already done in the past. The wording you posted sounds pretty good to me! ;sm
Ozzie

how did it work for you? - by Tony Dunne
Instead of asking people to give you a name and contact number of someone, just get them to email a friend and copy you in. This is much less threatening and far more effective.

You must;
  • Tell the referrer what you'll do. Just email an introduction note and nothing more.
  • Never STALK someone you get referred to, go easy, be a pro.
  • If you don't get to meet them stright away then ask for permission to send a newsletter every month or so.
  • Go easy, relax, it's a world of abundance!!!
I use this exact method in my business and it works well. I provide the referrer with an email intro template and ask them just to modify a small part to suit the situation. I'd love to compare notes about this approach and learn other people's experience.

Sincerely,
Howard - by freedomcoach
Howard

Can you share the wording that you use with the forum?

Tony - by Tony Dunne
I ask my 'source' to call the person. Referrals are not just customers - they are any thought maker that can get you into someone's office. A referral is also different from a lead. If they aren't willing to call and grease the sled for you either your relationship with them is weak or theirs is with the referral.

That process sacrifices quantity for quality and is probably best in B2B. I can see the advantage of email and referral prospecting that is really lead gen and not really setting up relationship selling. - by Russ_Emrick
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.