Home > Personal Development > Salespersonship is Relationship.

Salespersonship is Relationship.

Being in sales is not who you are but what you do.

You are defined in many different ways: Father, Mother, Brother, Sister, Son, Daughter, Cousin, smart, needs improvement, Rich, Poor. The list goes on.

I believe in order to be a top (sales) person, you need to seek, create, and build long term relationships. It takes time, patience, knowledge, understanding, forgiveness, love and nurturing The relationship should be mutually beneficial. It means putting the relationship above product/service. In my opinion, people do business with people they most relate to on an emotional not logical level. Isn’t most if not all sales, emotional?

You want to be the best salesperson, be the best person you can be first. - by job ready strategist
I am on the fence about if sales is emotional. - by Thomas
Great day Thomas,

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

In my opinion, most decisions are based on how the product/service will make us feel, hence emotion.

What say all of you. - by job ready strategist
IMO, much of what people do in life can be traced back to the feelings they believe they'll achieve by such actions. - by SalesCoach
Great day SalesCoach,

YES...:thu - by job ready strategist
I believe that emotions play a big role in the sale of the Avon products that I sell. Womens feelings about themselves help them to make decisions about which products if any to purchase. I think most women want to buy some beauty products to help them feel better about themselves. - by ozzie
Great day Thomas,:thu

In my opinion, most decisions are based on how the product/service will make us feel, hence emotion.

What say all of you.

michaelc.
I agree 500 per cent!!!! The greatest thing I ever did for my sales efforts was take the Dale Carnegie Sales Training Course. I'm not here to tout their ways, however I will say this... Your original post cuts right to the heart of how I've made a success of their teachings... Basically, finding out the true buying criteria of who you're dealing with. It's often emotional, and not always a logical choice.

Don't get me wrong, this is not a "technique" or something slippery... It is simply a tremendous understanding of finding out what it is a buyer wants, and being the person to sell it to him or her (or his or her organization).

In the end, such success builds great relationship, trust and sometimes friendship. I assure you, I couldn't live with myself if I didn't believe selling what I sell to someone isn't of great benefit to them. - by Coda1108
Emotion surely plays a large part in the buying process. Many people who have studied the sales cycle have uncovered this on one level or another. According to Robert Jolles, “Customers do not make decisions based on needs. They make decisions based on problems” (Customer Centered Selling, pg. 83). A need, in my mind is a logical thing, something totally rational, while a problem is something much more emotional. While not necessarily on the level of “fight or flight,” it most certainly is driven more by emotion than by logic.

Beyond this, it seems to me that there is a very good reason why we focus heavily on “relationship building” in today’s sales environment. After all, relationships are by nature an emotional setting. Jeffery Gitomer, in his “Little Red Book of Selling” gets to this point quite quickly; page 7 in fact. On page 7 he goes into a list of the items that need to be on the positive side of the relationship ledger before a customer feels comfortable to buy. Number 1 of these items starts off with “I like my sales rep” and follows with “Note Well: Liking is the single most powerful element in a sales relationship.” Now, I don’t know about you, but the term “like” is about as emotional as you can get in most people's book.

To appeal to this emotional side of people without ethics of course is dangerous. Yes, you can probably make a lot of one-time sales, and if you don’t depend on repeat business this might work well for you. But, like the title of one of John C. Maxwell’s books, “There’s No Such Thing As Business Ethics,” the idea being that ethics are ethics no matter where you are standing, or what you are doing. I like very much what Michaelc said in his post, “You want to be the best salesperson, be the best person you can be first.” I don’t think anyone could say it better.

Bill - by Bill_Kistner
“Customers do not make decisions based on needs. They make decisions based on problems” (Customer Centered Selling, pg. 83). A need, in my mind is a logical thing, something totally rational, while a problem is something much more emotional. While not necessarily on the level of “fight or flight,” it most certainly is driven more by emotion than by logic.

The above paragraph makes a lot of sense to me especially the statement that "they make decisions based on problems". A lot of women especially, see something as a problem and they want to make it better. So many of us are into anti-aging products which makes my job easier. It's a problem they are addressing. - by ozzie
I believe that emotions play a big role in the sale of the Avon products that I sell. Womens feelings about themselves help them to make decisions about which products if any to purchase. I think most women want to buy some beauty products to help them feel better about themselves.

Great day Ozzie,

Amen...or shpuld t be said...Awomen...:thup - by job ready strategist
Emotion surely plays a large part in the buying process. Many people who have studied the sales cycle have uncovered this on one level or another. According to Robert Jolles, “Customers do not make decisions based on needs. They make decisions based on problems” (Customer Centered Selling, pg. 83). A need, in my mind is a logical thing, something totally rational, while a problem is something much more emotional. While not necessarily on the level of “fight or flight,” it most certainly is driven more by emotion than by logic.

Beyond this, it seems to me that there is a very good reason why we focus heavily on “relationship building” in today’s sales environment. After all, relationships are by nature an emotional setting. Jeffery Gitomer, in his “Little Red Book of Selling” gets to this point quite quickly; page 7 in fact. On page 7 he goes into a list of the items that need to be on the positive side of the relationship ledger before a customer feels comfortable to buy. Number 1 of these items starts off with “I like my sales rep” and follows with “Note Well: Liking is the single most powerful element in a sales relationship.” Now, I don’t know about you, but the term “like” is about as emotional as you can get in most people's book.

To appeal to this emotional side of people without ethics of course is dangerous. Yes, you can probably make a lot of one-time sales, and if you don’t depend on repeat business this might work well for you. But, like the title of one of John C. Maxwell’s books, “There’s No Such Thing As Business Ethics,” the idea being that ethics are ethics no matter where you are standing, or what you are doing. I like very much what Michaelc said in his post, “You want to be the best salesperson, be the best person you can be first.” I don’t think anyone could say it better.

Bill
Great day Bill Kistner,

Great words of wisdom.

Thanks for mentioning your truely's name with all those other great writers.

I appreciate your input.:thu - by job ready strategist
I agree 500 per cent!!!! The greatest thing I ever did for my sales efforts was take the Dale Carnegie Sales Training Course. I'm not here to tout their ways, however I will say this... Your original post cuts right to the heart of how I've made a success of their teachings... Basically, finding out the true buying criteria of who you're dealing with. It's often emotional, and not always a logical choice.

Don't get me wrong, this is not a "technique" or something slippery... It is simply a tremendous understanding of finding out what it is a buyer wants, and being the person to sell it to him or her (or his or her organization).

In the end, such success builds great relationship, trust and sometimes friendship. I assure you, I couldn't live with myself if I didn't believe selling what I sell to someone isn't of great benefit to them.
Great day Coda1108,

Thanks for your wise remarks. I appreciate it.

To thy own self be true.

michaelc.:thu - by job ready strategist
I believe people buy on emotion and justify their purchase with logic. (due diligence)

Susan - by susana
Great day susana,

People do, don't they?

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. - by job ready strategist
Great day susana,

People do, don't they?

You're welcome.

Are you familiar with Joe Sugarman's Buying Triggers. It lists quite a few emotional ( and non emotional) buying triggers.

If you'd like the PDF, let me know and I'll email it.

Susan - by susana
Great day Susan,

Absolutely. Thanks.
michaelc. - by job ready strategist
I do not recall who said it, but i read it when i started in sales 7 years ago, and it has always stuck with me.

"if you and i do not like each other, the price doesn't matter. If you and i get a long great, the price doesn't matter."

Over the years, i notice it all comes back to this point. Sales start with relationships. Relationships start with trust, understanding, and a willingness to get along. - by zen_gar
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.