Top Tips?

If you where going to give a new sales person one piece of advise, what would that be? - by Tony Dunne
Know your product, and know how it benefits your target customer base. - by Coda1108
My advice is learn how to find the people who want to buy your service right now. - by Slick
Invest at least 1 hour a week set aside to make you successful. Reading a sales book, working on public speaking, join a networking group, etc. It is the people that do the little extra things that end up being successful… - by benjamin-benjamin
If you where going to give a new sales person one piece of advise, what would that be?
Want to succeed at sales and you're halfway there. I know that when I get discouraged, my desire to be successful kicks back in and I am once again on the road to being successful. - by ozzie
Good advise, how about;

If you study successful sales people youíll find that without exception, the first thing they developed was an abundance of ambition and determination to succeed. - by Tony Dunne
If you want to succeed at sales, my one piece of advice to a newcomer would be a small list;

1. Get organized; make lists everyday (besides it feels great to cross the things off as you do them) Get a day planner and use it. Get a good hardbound notebook and keep notes on you customers. Keep your desk neat.

2. Learn how to look things up; Everybody concentrates on becoming knowledgeable. Itís a great idea of course, but itís very hard to know most of anything much less everything about your products. If you learn how to get the information fast, youíll look much better to your customer.

3. Get a great attitude; We canít necessarily affect the things that happen to us, but we can affect how we react to those things as they happen. The way we react is all about our attitude. Get a good one, or get out of sales!

4. Get the right appearance; You donít want to over or under dress, but you always want to look right in front of your customer!

5. Learn, learn, learn; Read something about sales, salesmanship, organization, attitude, etc. every day!

Wear the right hat! In the end, salesmanship is about selflessness. You need to be selfless to build a good, solid relationship with your customer. You need to be selfless so you can add value to your customerís business or life so your customer can see that you represent more than just some product or serve. If you are in sales for selfish reasons you might make it for a while, but sooner or later your customers will see through you.

Bill - by Bill_Kistner
If you where going to give a new sales person one piece of advise, what would that be?
Snowman,

Make an effort to listen to your customers as much as you can. Listening creates likeability and also helps you really understand what's going on in their world.

Susan - by susana
Great ideas, thanks guys. - by Tony Dunne
Build the foundation first. Many salespeople try to build their sales career on a foundation that won't support a chicken shack.

The foundation consists of the proper sales success mindset, and clearly defined, written goals. - by Jim Klein
To simply just "sell something" to make a living...lacks passion. And Passion...is the key to winning ANYONE over, from hot dogs to hot rods...if you don't sell something that you PERSONALLY believe in...then that "indifference" will hence be passed onto your customer.
Find out how the product relates to YOU....and find that value first and play the role of the customer and evaluate its strengths and weaknesses so that you can have a clear understanding of "their" perspective so that you can most accurately build up your sales presentation.

"Much like a good parent never forgets what it is like to be the child....the best salesperson NEVER forgets what it is like to be the customer."

Best of Luck!!
-David - by truesaxman
I was just thinking that the reason why Iíve succeeded and over achieved for years is because I try to do more than my customers or prospects expect me to, this way I stand out.

You tend to forget this stuff youíve been doing as habit for years :bl - by Tony Dunne
"Much like a good parent never forgets what it is like to be the child....the best salesperson NEVER forgets what it is like to be the customer."
That is a very good way of relating to selling with empathy David. ;thmbp - by Calvin
That is a very good way of relating to selling with empathy David. ;thmbp
Ditto:thup - by Tony Dunne
"you have two ears and one mouth use them accordingly"...
says it all really.:thup - by Meloz
Tip #1: Clarity - Have a clear understanding of what you want and what you are offering.

Tip #2: Leverage - Leverage your resources including time, relationships, money, etc.

Tip #3: Act! - Take action now! - by SalesGuy
Tip #1: Clarity - Have a clear understanding of what you want and what you are offering.

Tip #2: Leverage - Leverage your resources including time, relationships, money, etc.

Tip #3: Act! - Take action now!
Salesguy

Thatís all good advice.
If you had to pick just one, would it be your number one?
I think it's your number 3.:thup

Snowman - by Tony Dunne
Salesguy

Thatís all good advice.
If you had to pick just one, would it be your number one?
I think it's your number 3.:thup

Snowman
If I had to pick just one it would be, "Clarity - Have a clear understanding of what you want and what you are offering."

IMO, too many people go through life without a clear idea of what they want and too many salespeople leave the office every day without a clear idea of what it is they are offering.

You can take all the action you want but if you don't know where you are going how will you know when you're there? ;wi - by SalesGuy
If I had to pick just one it would be, "Clarity - Have a clear understanding of what you want and what you are offering."

IMO, too many people go through life without a clear idea of what they want and too many salespeople leave the office every day without a clear idea of what it is they are offering.

You can take all the action you want but if you don't know where you are going how will you know when you're there? ;wi
Salesguy

Maybe just one point isnít enough.

Clarity is good, butÖÖ

If you know what you want with absolute clarity but donít take any action you wonít actually go anywhere; youíll be exactly where you started and no further.

Snowman
- by Tony Dunne
Salesguy

Maybe just one point isnít enough.

Clarity is good, butÖÖ

If you know what you want with absolute clarity but donít take any action you wonít actually go anywhere; youíll be exactly where you started and no further.

Snowman
Without a doubt action is required however unguided action rarely, if ever, leads to success. - by SalesGuy
"Without a doubt action is required however unguided action rarely, if ever, leads to success."

for sure;co - by Tony Dunne
Learn how to embrace rejection.:thu - by job ready strategist
Learn how to embrace rejection.:thu
How do you embrace rejection?

Iíd love to know how but I must confess I still get that fellingÖ.Ēwill I be rejectedĒ, when I cold call for instance. :bl

I still make the call but I get the feeling everytime.:cu - by Tony Dunne
Great day Snowman,

Let me see if I can offer simple advice to a complicated question.

Michael Coritsidis Laws of Rejection:
  • Do not take it personal. Leave emotion out of the equation.
  • They are not rejecting you but themselves.
  • The more rejections you have, the closer you come to success.
  • If you are given rejections, you are provided with the opportunity to Resolve and Succeed.
  • Rejections are part and parcel of life. Embrace it.
michaelc.
Job Ready Strategist - by job ready strategist
Listen with yor ears, eyes and heart.

Listen to not only what is being said, but how it is being said.

7% of communication is the words
38% is visual cues
55% is body lanuage

The better you understand you clients point of view the closer you are to getting them to yes - by Jorel
Snowman,

Make an effort to listen to your customers as much as you can. Listening creates likeability and also helps you really understand what's going on in their world.

Susan
I agree, this is the best advice I have seen. Most sales people talk too much. - by stevehilliar
I agree, this is the best advice I have seen. Most sales people talk too much.

As the saying goes...God gave us two ears and one mouth so we can listen twice as much as we speak...:thup - by job ready strategist
Great day Snowman,

Let me see if I can offer simple advice to a complicated question.

Michael Coritsidis Laws of Rejection:
  • Do not take it personal. Leave emotion out of the equation.
  • They are not rejecting you but themselves.
  • The more rejections you have, the closer you come to success.
  • If you are given rejections, you are provided with the opportunity to Resolve and Succeed.
  • Rejections are part and parcel of life. Embrace it.
michaelc.
Job Ready Strategist
I totally agree with your advice and have done for years; I still get the feeling in the gut.erm; - by Tony Dunne
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.