Home > Advertising > Radio Marketing

Radio Marketing

Does anyone here use Radio Advertising? - by Newbie
We've advertised on the radio before. Why do you ask Grasshoppa? - by Calvin
We haven't used radio before but I wouldn't rule it out.

Maybe I should check it out.... hmmm. - by Gilbert
Does anyone here use Radio Advertising?
A handy rule-of-thumb:

If you can successfully advertise your business in your local newspaper, the odds are that radio can work for you, too.

Best,
Dan O'Day - by danoday
A handy rule-of-thumb:

If you can successfully advertise your business in your local newspaper, the odds are that radio can work for you, too.

Best,
Dan O'Day
Good to know. Why is that? - by Gilbert
Good to know. Why is that?
A local newspaper ad targets a specific audience via a mass medium.

Newspaper advertising reaches a very broad market.

Radio advertising can reach a broad market (hence, "broadcasting") but can target much more precisely than newspaper.

And it can deliver a much more personal message, because radio (when done well) is a much more personal medium. - by danoday
Radio advertising can reach a broad market (hence, "broadcasting") but can target much more precisely than newspaper.
Besides general demographics what else could be targeted? - by Gilbert
Besides general demographics what else could be targeted?
Demographics, psychographics, lifestyle, social, political....You name it.

Again, radio is a very personal medium.

People have their favorite stations, their favorite programs, and their favorite hosts. - by danoday

People have their favorite stations, their favorite programs, and their favorite hosts.
This is all very interesting.

Out of curiosity, how do the radio stations zero in on lifestyle and/or psychographics? - by Gilbert

People have their favorite stations, their favorite programs, and their favorite hosts.
Dan,

First let me say what a wonderful addition your presence is on this forum. Welcome. I visited your site and I will return many times.

My own success in Direct Response Marketing has led me to believe that radio is king--if done right.

"Demographics, psychographics, lifestyle, social, political...." -all important. But they are secondary to the focal point of any successful radio campaign.

First--find and retain a proven radio "spokespersonality" with an audience. If you can't do that, then find a "spokespersonality" from outside the medium--and bring/him her aboard your radio campaign.

When you find a sales staff from a radio station that understands that--and is willing to help you do it--you're probably talking to the right people. - by Gary Boye
...But they are secondary to the focal point of any successful radio campaign.

First--find and retain a proven radio "spokespersonality" with an audience. If you can't do that, then find a "spokespersonality" from outside the medium--and bring/him her aboard your radio campaign.
Gary, in your opinion why is that the focal point? - by Gilbert
Gary, in your opinion why is that the focal point?
Results are the litmus test. I have spent tons of money on Direct Response Marketing on radio over many years. I also studied the history of DRM and found a pattern. A large portion of my own income over those years has been as a direct result of the aforementioned strategy. A few companies have copied my exact model with excellent results. - by Gary Boye
A few companies have copied my exact model with excellent results.
Which model is that? - by Gilbert
Which model is that?
I'm referring to a specific model which I created in 1991 and is still in use. Details of our specific marketing plan are not for public posting. However, the strategy is consistent with what I have briefly mentioned here. My own activity in buying radio commercials started back in 1975. Actually in 72--but then I was spending somebody else's money.

If you would like some backgound information on the history of that type of marketing, you might want to research Paul Harvey, and the lead generation used by Mutual of Omaha on Wild Kingdom for years which was on television but based on the same principle. Also, if you really have more than a passing interest in effective advertising, the life of David Olgivy is a terrific study. - by Gary Boye
Thanks guys for the great information. :) - by Gilbert
I used radio advertising before and will do it again, it will pay out. - by Sanddollar
I used radio advertising before and will do it again, it will pay out.
For real estate? - by Jolly Roger
For real estate?
Yes:) for real estate and it was less expensive to go with the radio advertising then to place adds. Also alot of people don't read adds but listen to the radio. - by Sanddollar
This is all very interesting.

Out of curiosity, how do the radio stations zero in on lifestyle and/or psychographics?
Sorry -- For some reason I wasn't aware that you'd asked that question. (That is, I didn't receive an "update" e-mail alert.)

Well, you have radio stations who themselves target a very specific audience. With 12,000+ stations in the U.S., for example, most stations attempt to serve only a narrowly defined portion of the population.

For adult males, you might be looking at a News/Talk station.

For females 18 - 14, probably a "CHR" (Contemporary Hit Radio) station. For women 25 - 49, it might be Adult Contemporary.

Young males? Probably a "New Rock" station.

These are broad generalities, of course.

And then you need to deal with "foreground" vs. "background" stations, the programming environment in which you'll be heard, and the advertising environment in which you'll be heard.

A "Smooth Jazz" station, for example, might have an affluent, adult audience. But a "screaming car dealer"-type commercial is likely to make them change stations....While that same commercial (although I'm not endorsing the "screaming car dealer" approach) might generate a stronger response from a station whose programming itself is loud and aggressive.

Within a given station, you might find certain programs that strongly appeal to your own target audience. It might be a specialty program, where the topic is the magnet. Or it might be a very compelling show host.

NOTE: Don't buy a specific program simply because of the focus of its content. A highly focused program with no listeners won't help you much.

Best,
Dan O'Day - by danoday
Dan,

First let me say what a wonderful addition your presence is on this forum. Welcome. I visited your site and I will return many times.
Thanks very much for your kind words, Gary!

Best,
Dan O'Day - by danoday
For real estate?
Real estate is perfect for radio.

Lots of reasons why, and lots of models for you to utilize.

For example, if you have a well-developed website that allows buyers to visually "tour" your listed properties, smart radio advertising will drive lots of traffic almost immediately.

Radio has proven to be the best mass medium for driving targeted Web traffic.

That fact, by the way, took the radio and advertising industries by surprise; no one predicted it.

But in hindsight, it makes sense:

How often do you read a newspaper or magazine while seated at your computer?

How often do you watch television while working on your computer?

The answer to both of the above questions: Not very often.

But....How common is it for people to be at the computer...with the radio on in the background?

"Real estate" is just one example of the many professions that never used to use radio (I say "use," because I teach my clients to use more strategies than just commercials).

But if you're a professional who serves the general public, radio probably can work for you. - by danoday
Real estate is perfect for radio.

Lots of reasons why, and lots of models for you to utilize.

For example, if you have a well-developed website that allows buyers to visually "tour" your listed properties, smart radio advertising will drive lots of traffic almost immediately.

Radio has proven to be the best mass medium for driving targeted Web traffic.

That fact, by the way, took the radio and advertising industries by surprise; no one predicted it.

But in hindsight, it makes sense:

How often do you read a newspaper or magazine while seated at your computer?

How often do you watch television while working on your computer?

The answer to both of the above questions: Not very often.

But....How common is it for people to be at the computer...with the radio on in the background?

"Real estate" is just one example of the many professions that never used to use radio (I say "use," because I teach my clients to use more strategies than just commercials).

But if you're a professional who serves the general public, radio probably can work for you.
Very nice input danoday

- by Sanddollar
Yes:) for real estate and it was less expensive to go with the radio advertising then to place adds. Also alot of people don't read adds but listen to the radio.
I can't remember the last time I heard a radio ad by a real estate agent.

I would think that print ads would be the top advertising choice for real estate agents.

Your thoughts? - by Jolly Roger
I would think that print ads would be the top advertising choice for real estate agents.
You're correct in that it's the most common choice, but it's not necessarily the most effective.

If print is used well, it certainly can be effective for real estate agents. Most of the time, though -- as with all media -- it's used poorly.

But there certainly is no inherent reason why print is "better" than radio for real estate agents.

Because so few real estate agents even think of using radio, the relatively few who do automatically will stand out from the crowd.

And if they have a wise strategy combined with a solid execution, they'll quickly seize an exceptional top-of-mind awareness among consumers.

Best,
Dan O'Day - by danoday
...a wise strategy combined with a solid execution....
Dan, I read your other post where you also mentioned "strategy". Can you give an example? - by Agent Smith
But there certainly is no inherent reason why print is "better" than radio for real estate agents.
For promoting and "Agent" I like the idea of radio. For promoting "Properties" I like the idea of print.

Your thoughts? - by Jolly Roger
For promoting and "Agent" I like the idea of radio. For promoting "Properties" I like the idea of print.

Your thoughts?
A full-page newspaper listing of properties, with photos you actually can see and specific neighborhoods & prices included, can be good.

Here's what's better:

1. A well-designed, easy to navigate website that allows you to search at your leisure for the kind of property you're interested in -- price, neighborhood, # of bedrooms, school system, etc.

2. A well-designed radio commercial inviting the listener to come find their dream home at dreamhomes.com. (I just checked; that URL already is taken. But you get the idea.)

When used properly, radio is the most personal mass medium.

Buying a home is an exceptionally personal experience.

Newspaper advertising, however, is impersonal. (That's why it's better suited for "price & item" advertising than for establishing an emotional connection with the targeted consumer.)

Best,
Dan O'Day - by danoday
Thanks for the advice Dan. :) - by Jolly Roger
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.