Home > Sales Promotion > How do you prepare for a trade show?

How do you prepare for a trade show?

Let's all help one another out.
Personally, my favorite activity is to pre-contact as many people as I can prior to the trade show. If I can set up one meeting for every day I am at a trade show, I feel I've prepared successfully. I attempt to find out prospects who are located a long distance away from me who will be at the same trade show as I will be attending. Then, I suggest we set a specific time and place to meet. OR, at the very least a promise to call one another via cell phone during the show to arrange a meeting.

The most effective part of this is that I can prepare specifically for this prospect. At the end of the trade show, I'm often the only one they've met with who was specifically prepared for them, as opposed to a general catch-all type of information packet.

Who else has a good trade show practice they can share with the board? - by Coda1108
Personally, my favorite activity is to pre-contact as many people as I can prior to the trade show. If I can set up one meeting for every day I am at a trade show, I feel I've prepared successfully. I attempt to find out prospects who are located a long distance away from me who will be at the same trade show as I will be attending. Then, I suggest we set a specific time and place to meet. OR, at the very least a promise to call one another via cell phone during the show to arrange a meeting.
I have not gone to a trade show before. Do they let the public in or is it just for businesses? - by Thomas
Trade shows are open to anyone interested, and willing to pay the admission fee if there is one. There are all kinds of trade shows, so attendees and interested parties vary. For example, most industries have trade shows that are geared toward companies in that industry. As a result, the admission can be as high as $500 to a thousand dollars or more. This usually includes panels of experts whom attendees learn from, and plenty of networking opportunities. Then there are other trade shows such as home and garden shows, bridal shows, chamber of commerce shows, etc. that are open to the community free of charge. Vendors set up booths to show off what they offer. They pay the organizers of the show for the booth space because it is a way to reach new customers. - by Coda1108
Trade shows are open to anyone interested, and willing to pay the admission fee if there is one. There are all kinds of trade shows, so attendees and interested parties vary. For example, most industries have trade shows that are geared toward companies in that industry. As a result, the admission can be as high as $500 to a thousand dollars or more. This usually includes panels of experts whom attendees learn from, and plenty of networking opportunities.
I didn't know that. :bl

Then there are other trade shows such as home and garden shows, bridal shows, chamber of commerce shows, etc. that are open to the community free of charge. Vendors set up booths to show off what they offer. They pay the organizers of the show for the booth space because it is a way to reach new customers.
this is the kind of show that I'm used to. - by Thomas
Who else has a good trade show practice they can share with the board?
Be well prepared for the 'crush' time that occurs during breaks. Be ready w/ personnel, literature and good elevator pitches for each product.

Susan - by susana
I have heard that 80% (+/-) of the leads generated at trade shows don't get followed up on. If that number is accurate maybe the best preparation would be deciding on what to do with the leads you get. :re - by Marcus
I have heard that 80% (+/-) of the leads generated at trade shows don't get followed up on. If that number is accurate maybe the best preparation would be deciding on what to do with the leads you get. :re
80%? What's the point of even going? :cu - by Thomas
I've been to multiple trade shows, both as a vendor, and as a visitor. As a vendor at the local Home and Garden shows, nothing gets you more leads than being prepared with a professional presentation. This goes from having a nice presentable booth, to having something to hand out that explains who you are, and why they should buy your product. Also, if you are a vendor, having some kind of "coupon" or some kind of give-away also helps people to buy your product now instead of just browsing through your booth. We are a type of construction company, and we offer a coupon for $ off each phase of construction for those that sign up at the home show, or at least fill out the coupon and send it in with the contract. We also have a lead sheet, where we ask people to fill out their name and number to schedule an in-house estimate, in case they don't want to sit there and listen to our pitch while their kids are screaming at their feet. Bottom line, don't let someone interested in your business walk by without making sure your get a chance to talk to them. - by kpm1976
80%? What's the point of even going? :cu
If you're not going to pursue the leads then you're doing your employer a disservice. ;thd - by Liberty
I agree that preselling, preplanned presentations, and follow up are all important to getting the most from a trade show or for that matter any sales encounter. - by BossMan
Trade shows are great shows to show up your prouducts, i had gone to a Computer Hardware trade show last month and i found lots of new customers in that show - by mtajim
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.