Home > Referrals > What's the best way to ask for a referral?

What's the best way to ask for a referral?

I'm not really into scripting and parroting but I was wandering what word tracks do you guys use when asking for referrals? - by Optimumautomotive
I’m not really into scripting and parroting but I was wandering what word tracks do you guys use when asking for referrals?
I don't have a script but I'd probably say something like:

"Jack, it was a pleasure working with you today and I'm happy we were able to get this deal put together for you. I am always looking for clients like yourself who appreciate what I do so if I may ask, if the occassion arrived where your friends or family were in the market for a new car or truck would you feel confident referring my services?

{yes}

Great, do you know of anyone right now I should contact about a great deal on a new car or truck?

{no}

One more question, in the future if someone mentions they are in the market for a new car or truck can I count on you to tell them about my services?

{yes}

Thanks Jack. That means a lot to me." - by Jolly Roger
I’m not really focused on ASKING for referrals, mainly because I don’t know a good way to do it :cu

As you’ve only had 1 response (a good one from Jolly Roger), maybe everyone is in the same boat?;wi - by Tony Dunne
I’m not really focused on ASKING for referrals, mainly because I don’t know a good way to do it .
If you did know a good way to ask for referrals would you? Not everyone believes in soliciting referrals.

One idea I'd like to pass along about soliciting referrals is do not wait until the very end of the transaction before you bring up the subject. Plant the seeds early and often to establish expectation and allow the client the opportunity to prepare. ;wi - by AZBroker
I ask referrals only with my very close people and friends and thats does not become very hard - by mtajim
Hopefully, even though this thread has been dormant for some while, this will still be relevant.

One of the problems with the traditionally taught method of getting referrals--"do a good job and ask for referrals"--is that both the salesperson and the client are uncomfortable with the request. As a matter of fact, the traditional method of referral training creates a number of problems:
* the salesperson is uncomfortable because the request comes out of nowhere
* the client is uncomfortable for the same reason--it doesn't allow the client to become comfortable with giving referrals and the request comes as an unwelcome last second surprise
* it doesn't let the client know what a good referral is
* it doesn't give the client a reason to give referrals
* it doesn't let the client know how many referrals you expect
* it doesn't give the client an objective way to determine whether or not you've earned referrals
* and the salesperson intuitively knows the client is uncomfortable and feels infringed upon, so the salesperson has no confidence in asking for referrals

But, despite these problems, you can adopt a process that solves all of these problems. A complete referral process should adequately prepare the client to give a large number of high quality referrals.

As mentioned above, start by letting the client know that you're going to be asking for referrals, then help them understand exactly what a quality referral for you is, find out exactly what you must do to earn the referrals by asking your client, then, once the sale has been completed, meet with the client to get the referrals.

With a full process that prepares both your client and you, the element of surprise has been replaced with a full awareness on both parties parts of what is expect and under what circumstances the referrals have been earned. - by pmccord
Excellent post pmccord. thmbp2; - by SalesGuy
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.