Home > Personal Selling > Sales Process or not?

Sales Process or not?

I belive that if you want do anything well and continue to improve performance you have to first come up with a standardized way of doing things and then consider where you may be able to improve various aspects of what you do.

From there the next step is to implement any of the changes in a controlled and measured way.

Some if my more experienced sales people are more resistant to change, whatís the best way to handle this situation?
- by Tony Dunne
That is my approach to Search Engine Marketing. Other SEM's make several changes at the same time and cannot isolate the cause of the effect they are experiencing. Even I do that sometimes because I assume that some of the changes are too small too matter. :bl Without this control though you can't measure accurately. - by SpeedRacer
Some if my more experienced sales people are more resistant to change, whatís the best way to handle this situation?
If you align the desired change with the goals of the salesperson you might see compliance. ;co - by Jolly Roger
Were the employees in on the decision to make the change? - by Marcus
I think it would be good to explain in detail the reasons for the changes. If people understand why something is being changed, I think they will be more likely to accept the change. - by ozzie
Snowman,

I could get in to a long answer to your question, however, I am going to assume you understand the steps in the sales process.

The answer to your question lies in your utilizing the sales process on your sales staff. Do your homework and determine what the problems are, what is your solution to their problem and then sell it to them as you would any prospect.

One key point I use with all salespeople is I relate it to professional sports. The top athletes all have coaches, they master the basics and continually practice and refine the basics every single day.

I hope this answers your question. - by Jim Klein
Were the employees in on the decision to make the change?
Marcus

One of my guys has been selling for 25 years and is so set in his ways and a fairly good producer that he just didnít want to change. As he said to me, ďare you trying to say Iíve been doing it wrong all this timeĒ?!#

I wasnít and he knew it as heís since admitted but he just didnít want to change something that works pretty well for him.

I can understand that and he understands that everything either evolves or goes backwards, itís been good for both of usÖ.

One of my guys has been selling for 25 years and is so set in his ways and a fairly good producer that he just didn’t want to change. As he said to me, “are you trying to say I’ve been doing it wrong all this time”?!#
I saw this happen in the aircraft industry. There were several reps in their 50's, who had been selling for a long time; however when mangement insisted they start using the computer for customer management (Program similar to ACT!). The company gave it about a year, and then started offering retirement to those individuals who wouldn't get with the program. Some of them were top producers.

Susan - by susana
The key to ANY change I believe takes PATIENCE and UNDERSTANDING....as well as the will to. I have worked with people that have been in the sales industry for well over 24 years, and I can tell you that sometimes....it is true when they say that you can only help people that want to help themselves. So...the obvious question is....how do you convince them that change is good? To do that is easy,as long as they are open to change......THAT PRODUCES MORE PROFIT!;bg
Sales is and always will be very "self-driven" when it comes to the salesperson's desire to create more revenue, and if you introduce your idea as more of an "IMPROVEMENT" on something that already works...then you might find that even the most STUBBORN salesperson is ALWAYS willing to make $$$ MORE MONEY $$$

Hope this helps!

-David - by truesaxman
The company gave it about a year, and then started offering retirement to those individuals who wouldn't get with the program. Some of them were top producers.

Good point. There is always a way to improve top producers' performance. If I know only the first two gears in my car, I can be a top producer by speeding at 20 mph. But if you show me the other three gears and how to produce $120 mph, but I refuse to do it to improve my performance, then you should fire me on the spot. - by Bald Dog
Good point. There is always a way to improve top producers' performance. If I know only the first two gears in my car, I can be a top producer by speeding at 20 mph. But if you show me the other three gears and how to produce $120 mph, but I refuse to do it to improve my performance, then you should fire me on the spot.
Bald Dog
They didn’t refuse it was more of a reluctance.
If they where only in second gear after 25 years it definitely wouldn’t have been at my business.

He was traveling in 3 or 4 and doing better that average. He now knows where 5 is but doesn’t use it all the time. Not everyone wants to or has the capacity to travel at top speed all the time, with a lot of my guys I actually want them to slow down and be more detail and quality orientated.

Snowman;sm - by Tony Dunne
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.