Home > Networking > Business Referral Network

Business Referral Network

I’m actually going write this with two different hats on.
I’m the president of my local rugby club and I’m also a car dealer. This has worked very well for me, the local business community and the not for profit rugby club that I help to run.

I started a “Business Referral Network” with three goals in mind;
1.Generating business for the members of the club with their own business or if they worked in sales of some type.
2.Generate sales for the local business community.
3.Raise much needed funds for my rugby club.

We have about 300 families in the club so the potential is not huge but it works very well, here are some of the results of last years networking scheme. As a medium sized car dealer with a huge competitor on my doorstep and selling into my area I had to stop them.
  • My dealership sold 96 cars new and used through referrals generated from this scheme and I paid the club $200 AUS for each unit delivered. $19200 for the club and everyone attached to the club bought from me, the small guy local dealer instead of a huge dealer just down the road.
  • Local real estate office paid $50 per listing and between $300 - $600 for every home sold; plus a flat $100 for every rental listing. They sold over 25 homes in a competitive market and the club generated about $10000.
  • We have a pool service guy who now has everyone in the club on his books as do some plumbers, the local bakery, liquor shop, you name it!!!
This works really well for my dealership, for the small local businesses and the club, win-win-win, give it a try. - by Tony Dunne
Snowman,

That's a great idea! Perfect way to give back to the community and still generate needed business for you. You're right, it's a wonderful win-win situation for everyone!

Thanks you! ;tks

Pam - by LadySmith
That is a very helpful idea Snowman. Thank you for sharing. :thup - by Houston
We are a tourism promotion company, Snowman. We sell tourist packages to people outside our local area. Do you see a way of adapting your idea to this sort of business? - by rlabston
We are a tourism promotion company, Snowman. We sell tourist packages to people outside our local area. Do you see a way of adapting your idea to this sort of business?
rlabston
If you have some target cites you could find out who the bigger kids sporting clubs are and offer them a referral fee for any of their members that booked with you. This could work very well as you could also get that club to advertise free to their members, website links etc.

The beauty of this type of system is that it is totally measurable in terms of cost, it’s one of the best types of marketing this side of free referrals!!!:thu
- by Tony Dunne
rlabston
If you have some target cites you could find out who the bigger kids sporting clubs are and offer them a referral fee for any of their members that booked with you. This could work very well as you could also get that club to advertise free to their members, website links etc.

The beauty of this type of system is that it is totally measurable in terms of cost, it’s one of the best types of marketing this side of free referrals!!!:thu
We have one target city in mind because of its proximity to our region. I guess my biggest question would be how much benefit we might get from this sort of effort and how much effort it would cost to get that benefit. I have no idea how many members these clubs might represent. If we are talking a potential in the range of a 1000 new visitors, it could be interesting. If we are talking about 10 here and 10 there, we could probably find more valuable ways to put that effort to work.

One thought that seems plausible would be to offer incentives to a national ski organization that represented ski clubs across the United States. Here we would be looking at a large enough market to make the effort interesting.

Another thought I had, but havenčt figured out how to approach it is to develop a college and university program. Our target city has over 200 colleges and universities. Any ideas? - by rlabston
What about a referral fee to the university or the fraternity on behalf of the individual or their fraternity? - by Tony Dunne
Its realy very innovative idea, making money out of social work is just great. - by mtajim
What about a referral fee to the university or the fraternity on behalf of the individual or their fraternity?
rlabston

would this work?

Snowman - by Tony Dunne
Originally Posted by Snowman
What about a referral fee to the university or the fraternity on behalf of the individual or their fraternity?
rlabston

would this work?

Snowman
It would be possible to pay the university or fraternity, but for our initial promotion, it would mean taking money out of an already pared-down price. We are trying to keep the price under $500 which fits conveniently on the typical new credit card that each student receives upon entering college.

I like better the idea of giving a vacation away for a set number of packages sold. The reason is that the extra vacation includes a room that would have been empty otherwise and a lift ticket that would have gone unsold. The only out-of-pocket expense is the seat on the bus, so the value to the referrer is greater than could be paid in dollars. - by rlabston
rlabston

Would you look at doing a joint promotion with other likeminded businesses that are also targeting the same prospects as you, college kids that want to party, Red Bull or similar……there should be plenty of companies out there. ;co

This would reduce your marketing spend, increase coverage / visibility and link your company to good times for collage kids. Property owners may not be as eager though.

Snowman
- by Tony Dunne
rlabston

Would you look at doing a joint promotion with other likeminded businesses that are also targeting the same prospects as you, college kids that want to party, Red Bull or similar……there should be plenty of companies out there. ;co

This would reduce your marketing spend, increase coverage / visibility and link your company to good times for collage kids. Property owners may not be as eager though.

Snowman

Good point, SnowMan.

I am looking for a beverage distributor and national company that wants to be associated with sports, like maybe Coors. I didn't think about Red Bull. Isn't that a tobacco company? Or is it a beverage?

Anyway, the beverage distributor can put the materials for the drawing in all of the locations that it services, like restaurants, grocery stores and bars. And a beer brewer could become the ski resort's official beer. - by rlabston
Good point, SnowMan.

I am looking for a beverage distributor and national company that wants to be associated with sports, like maybe Coors. I didn't think about Red Bull. Isn't that a tobacco company? Or is it a beverage?
Red Bull is the energy drink that is associated with extreme sports throughout the UK, Europe and Australia anyway. Look at www.redbullusa.com , I know they are on a big push to get into the US market.

Don’t have too many Red Bull and Vodka’s when you meet with them.

Good Luck

Snowman - by Tony Dunne
Keep the brilliant ideas coming Snowman. ;sm - by Jolly Roger
Red Bull is the energy drink that is associated with extreme sports throughout the UK, Europe and Australia anyway. Look at www.redbullusa.com , I know they are on a big push to get into the US market.

Don’t have too many Red Bull and Vodka’s when you meet with them.

Good Luck

Snowman
Wow, Snowman. That is a great idea. I hadn't thought about energy drinks. That is definitely a good taget for sponsorship!!! - by rlabston
I’ve been off the air for a while, hope things are going well for you with this;sm - by Tony Dunne
Keep the brilliant ideas coming Snowman. ;sm
Thanks for the encouragement and kind words Jolly Roger;bg - by Tony Dunne
Great idea! I will pass this message a friend who is trying to sustain a community of Muslims in Singapore. I think it might work for him. I do help put in some of the community marketing programs which you may view at http://www.media-asiaconsult.com.

I would certainly appreciate more ideas like this - by alexhar
Great idea! I will pass this message a friend who is trying to sustain a community of Muslims in Singapore. I think it might work for him. I do help put in some of the community marketing programs which you may view at http://www.media-asiaconsult.com.

I would certainly appreciate more ideas like this
What specific ideas can you share with the forum from your experience? - by Tony Dunne
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.