Home > Consumer Behavior > Need or Want or both?

Need or Want or both?

Do customers buy based primarily on what they want (emotion), what they need (logic) or both?

Snowman - by Tony Dunne
I'm going with "want". ;wi - by SpeedRacer
I'm going with "want". ;wi
me to..........:thu - by Tony Dunne
Come on, don't just read, get involved!!!!:thu - by Tony Dunne
I might "need" a new car but I "want" a certain model and that's the model I'm going to buy. Besides that I'm certain that people buy a lot more than they 'need' because they 'want' it. - by Marcus
In my opinion, "wants" satisfy "needs" so ultimately the answer is "both". - by AZBroker
For most chosing to buy, and from what company, involves taking an emotional desire of want to an often equally emotional decision of need.

If a salesman cannot help the customer take that step from a want to a need, there is no sale. Logic can help be a valadation to make that step. However, logic by itself, doesn't totally define a need.

Pam - by LadySmith
Snowman,
I believe the answer is BOTH...and the reason for this is that, although we as a society are driven PRIMARILY on novelty and luxury, that we cannot IGNORE the basic functions that we NEED in order to move onto what we WANT. Though I believe if most people had a choice, we would eliminate the NEED and only have the WANT.;wi

Thank you again for your insightful perspective,
Sincerely,
David - by truesaxman
Thanks David, how you doing buddy, i've been off the air for a few weeks;bg - by Tony Dunne
I am going with want. Customers buy with emotion(want) and then justify it with logic(need).

After all what do we really need? food, water and shelter. Shelter can be a small house, a hut or a cave. But how many of us buy things beyond those three things? - by Jorel
I am going with want. Customers buy with emotion(want) and then justify it with logic(need).

After all what do we really need? food, water and shelter. Shelter can be a small house, a hut or a cave. But how many of us buy things beyond those three things?
We all do, thankfully ;sm - by Tony Dunne
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.