Home > Resistance > How to stop a "Best Price Shopper"

How to stop a "Best Price Shopper"

I know this is a difficult one and i know there are a number of variables.I have used a few different methods.
Just thought i would ask for some new suggestions!!
Your thoughts???
;sm - by Muzza
Start by building excellent rapport and getting to really know what the customer wants. After that provide a value based solution that fits there needs and wants. Do all of these things in a professional and courteous sales process and they will want to deal with you as a logical conclusion. At this stage offer to save them the hassle of shopping around by doing a deal with you.
If this doesnít work, buy doing the above things youíll get the last chance at the business and if itís at a level your happy with then write the business
:thup - by Tony Dunne
muzza,

have seen this work and tried it on the odd occassion; Snowman makes a valid point. Ulitmately you want to try and befriend the client and give him enough reasons to want to buy from you with out appearing desperate.
if they are intent beyond your best efforts to go shopping and you want to make a lasting impression. you could try "the envelope"
On a peice of paper write down "100 dollars off the best price you've had" fold it a couple of times place it in the envelope seal it sign the back of it tape it staple it what ever you need to do.
explain to your customer that whilst you'd like to save him the drama of going elsewhere you understand his want to get the best price. invite him to take your envelope. shop around and once his done shopping come back to you and if the envelope is still sealed on his return you promise to honour your offer inside the envelope. I have seen it done and it was a priceless moment and some of the best refferals have come from these customers...just a thought. - by Meloz
Now thatís a good idea:thup - by Tony Dunne
I know this is a difficult one and i know there are a number of variables.I have used a few different methods.
Your thoughts???
Are you asking about the prospect who after meeting with you "wants to shop around" or the prospect who comes in to your store/office and just wants to know your lowest price? - by AZBroker
Muzza

What do you sell? - by marky
Your thoughts???
;sm
I once read about an appliance store being price shopped to death. It was decided to stock a refrigerator with half gallon containers of ice cream. So going forward when a price shopper wanted to think about it, he was given the ice cream as a way of saying thank yoy for stopping by.

On hot summer days the price shopper immediately went home with the ice cream before it melted. This prevented further shopping around that day and helped to increase sales at the appliance store (from Jeff Slutsky's book Streetsmart Marketing). - by Wonderboy
I once read about an appliance store being price shopped to death. It was decided to stock a refrigerator with half gallon containers of ice cream. So going forward when a price shopper wanted to think about it, he was given the ice cream as a way of saying thank yoy for stopping by.

On hot summer days the price shopper immediately went home with the ice cream before it melted. This prevented further shopping around that day and helped to increase sales at the appliance store (from Jeff Slutsky's book Streetsmart Marketing).
What is your opinion of that tactic? - by Calvin
What is your opinion of that tactic?
A little sneaky but not unethical because it's common practice to give away things for free from time to time. Also the prospect still has the option to check out the competition if he or she wants to (in effect the store captured more attention from the prospects to help even the odds).

A good tactic overall. - by Wonderboy
The consumers could always throw away the ice cream if they didn't want to take the ice cream home. Cool (as ice cream) idea. - by Calvin
The consumers could always throw away the ice cream if they didn't want to take the ice cream home. Cool (as ice cream) idea.
if the ice cream were offered to you? - by Wonderboy
if the ice cream were offered to you?
Are you asking if I'd throw away the ice cream if it were offered to me? I would have no trouble throwing away a $10 bucket of ice cream if I thought I could go somewhere else and get what I wanted at a price I wanted. - by Calvin
Far be it from me to agree with wonderboy on much of anything, however, I have to agree. Great tactic. If they choose to throw away the ice cream so what?

The thing is, this particular tactic is awesome, if nothing else you have created good will with the customer. In my business the good will and respect my customers have for me is my most important asset.

Hence, I'm always running some sort of contest and giving away things like hats and pocket screwdrivers (mechanics being closely related to ferrets, they love Shiny Objectstm .)

Nothing unethical about giving stuff away and even as a sales person I'd be inclined to give my business to a store which took the time and money to attempt to build rapport with me and give me good service.

Pat
- by toolguy_35
If you are so desperate that you have to play clever tricks on your prospects, you might consider learning how to find and close "High Probability Prospects."

That means people who need, want and can afford to buy, and want to buy from you - now.

That way you won't have the time or inclination to attempt to maximize every sales opportunity. - by JacquesWerth
If you are so desperate that you have to play clever tricks on your prospects, you might consider learning how to find and close "High Probability Prospects."

That means people who need, want and can afford to buy, and want to buy from you - now.

That way you won't have the time or inclination to attempt to maximize every sales opportunity.
JacquesWerth

Most of my customers are "high probablity prospects" in that I see them every week. My business is a retail sales business and I deal with the same customers in the same shops and dealerships every week.

Running contests and giving away things like pocket screwdrivers (which mechanics absolutly love and can't live without, literally,they are about the most useful tool I have) is simply a way of building goodwill with my customers.

My mechanics all love a good contest and they like free stuff.

Doing things that increase your sales and create goodwill is not desperation, it's good business.

Pat - by toolguy_35
Sometimes with price shoppers, you can mix this in to your initial call: "We're not the cheapest". or, "John's Appliance Store is the cheapest" People hate the word cheap.

Susan - by susana
Sometimes with price shoppers, you can mix this in to your initial call: "We're not the cheapest". or, "John's Appliance Store is the cheapest" People hate the word cheap.

Susan
Price is one of my big selling points over Snap-on or Mac, (mine is much lower). I always make a point of saying "My tools are of comparable quality but much less expensive." I never use the word "cheaper" or "cheap" My tools are not cheap, they are inexpensive.

Pat - by toolguy_35
Price is one of my big selling points over Snap-on or Mac, (mine is much lower). I always make a point of saying "My tools are of comparable quality but much less expensive." I never use the word "cheaper" or "cheap" My tools are not cheap, they are inexpensive.

Pat
That's the point I was making. If I was your competitor, I would say, "They're the cheapest".

Susan - by susana
Build value in working with you and your company. ;)

Do you offer a guarantee that others won't?
Is your service location closer than others?
Is there prestige associated with buying from you?
etc., etc., etc. - by Marcus
I've heard that Crazy Eddie's used the idea of carrying unique items that can't be found elsewhere ("Our prices can't be beat!"). If your item isn't unique, try creating an unusual combo that would be appealing and not easily matched (if at all). - by Wonderboy
I've heard that Crazy Eddie's used the idea of carrying unique items that can't be found elsewhere ("Our prices can't be beat!"). If your item isn't unique, try creating an unusual combo that would be appealing and not easily matched (if at all).
Another sales tactic you like, Wonderboy?

"Crazy Eddie" Antar was accussed of all kinds of fraudulent business practices.

One accussation was that he did sell at the lowest prices - even if he took a loss. That was a scheme to defraud his suppliers. His sales volume grew so quickly that his credit was far greater than his payments. He had $7 million in cash when he suddenly disappeared and left the country.

Eventually he returned to the USA and in 1992. Eddie Antar finally pled guilty in 1996 for conspiracy and racketeering and spent seven years in prison. - by JacquesWerth
Another sales tactic you like, Wonderboy?

"Crazy Eddie" Antar was accussed of all kinds of fraudulent business practices.

One accussation was that he did sell at the lowest prices - even if he took a loss. That was a scheme to defraud his suppliers. His sales volume grew so quickly that his credit was far greater than his payments. He had $7 million in cash when he suddenly disappeared and left the country.

Eventually he returned to the USA and in 1992. Eddie Antar finally pled guilty in 1996 for conspiracy and racketeering and spent seven years in prison.
I don't think I will try that one. - by Snowboy
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.