Home > Management > Business Plan vs. Strategic Plan

Business Plan vs. Strategic Plan

What is the difference between a "Business Plan" and a "Strategic Plan"? :confused: - by Newbie
What is the difference between a "Business Plan" and a "Strategic Plan"? :confused:
In my opinion, nothing. It's all just semantics.

As long as you can answer these 10 questions (article link removed) about your business, you have what you need to be successful!

Peace,
Terri Z - by Terri Zwierzynski
Thanks Terri for the input and the article. :) - by Newbie
In my opinion, nothing. It's all just semantics.

As long as you can answer these 10 questions (article link removed) about your business, you have what you need to be successful!

Peace,
Terri Z
I don't think it's semantics, Terri, because the vast majority of people who contemplate starting a business--even those with a business plan--don't even know what "strategy" means.

With that said, I think your article is great, and I think you have a good understanding of strategy. - by Gary Boye
I don't think it's semantics, Terri, because the vast majority of people who contemplate starting a business--even those with a business plan--don't even know what "strategy" means.

With that said, I think your article is great, and I think you have a good understanding of strategy.
The reason I say it is just semantics, is because for most small and solo business owners, what they call it doesn't matter as much as getting them to write a plan at all! So if I can get folks past the jargon and get them to take action, preferably with professional help ;) , said professional can guide them to include strategy in their plan.

Just my coaching approach. :cool: - by Terri Zwierzynski
Terri, what percentage of small and solo business owners do you think actually write out a business plan? - by SalesGuy
Terri, what percentage of small and solo business owners do you think actually write out a business plan?
I know of one study of 29,000 business startups which noted that 26,000 of them failed. Of those failures, 67% had no written business plan.

I also recently participated in a survey of solo entrepreneurs which showed that almost half had a written business plan.

I'd say in general, less than half. I'd sure like to see it be a lot higher -- because I truly believe that having a written plan (both going through the thought process AND writing it down) is a key element to achieving success.

Peace,
Terri Z - by Terri Zwierzynski
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.