Home > Marketing > Do you agree?

Do you agree?

Do you agree with this paradox?

To make more money stop trying to make more money. - by Tony Dunne
If you're getting in your own way because you're "trying too hard" then stop focusing so much on the results you want and get back to focusing on the activities that get these results. That's my dime store advice. :re - by Calvin
If you're getting in your own way because you're "trying too hard" then stop focusing so much on the results you want and get back to focusing on the activities that get these results. That's my dime store advice. :re
Calvin

Thatís exactly what I think. Itís not me thatís trying too hard, itís a general question to the forum.

I think most sales people continually fight the urge to sell and get the deal. IMO finding problems or opportunities is a better way to go in almost every situation.

Snowman - by Tony Dunne
Itís not me thatís trying too hard, itís a general question to the forum.
I understood it was a general question. I didn't mean for my answer to sound like it was pointed at you. :fri

IMO finding problems or opportunities is a better way to go in almost every situation.
Agreed. ;wi - by Calvin
cool, thanks for your input:thu - by Tony Dunne
I know it is the truth when it comes to web publishing and Adsense. You are better off creating new content and new websites rather then worrying the whole time about your Adsense income. Once the traffic from the search engines kicks in then the income will follow. - by jimberan
I do a much better job of making money when I am focused on providing a good service to my customers. I deliver my orders promptly and pass out my brochures on time. I send in my orders on time and keep good records. These things all work on my behalf when it comes to making money. - by ozzie

To make more money stop trying to make more money.
I agree. One of the biggest sales killers is desperation.

Pam - by LadySmith
I agree. One of the biggest sales killers is desperation.

Pam
You are right Pam. People can see the dollar signs in your eyes or something because they can tell. Even if you need the money never let them see you sweat. - by Thomas
What is being said makes sense and I would like to point out another point of view. The one who is focused on money can possibly make more money because, were energy flows attention goes (huna). If I am thinking about how to make money all the time I will see new ways of making money. If I am concerned about people seeing the desperation in my eyes because all I really want is money then I will practice harder to get that desperation look out of my eyes. Plus I think that desperation comes more from not having enough money than it does from wanting to make money. Also if customer is not showing signs of wanting to buy I am more likely to move on to the next person. Then waste more time with them.
Also if I am extremly focused on money then I know I will try harder to do all the things that everyone else mentioned in order to attain the money.
You see, the biggest motivating factor(MF) for one salesperson (SP) is not the big MF for all SP. I am in business to make money period. I think more about myself than anyone else. And if you are honest with yourself, you think more about yourself than anyone else does also. So if my biggest motivating factor is money I will work harder to provide excellent service because I know the best way to get a new deal is through a referal, which to me means more money.
If I personally tried to provide excellent service over making money I would find more ways to benifit the customer and less ways to benifit me. Then when I came upon a customer who did not respect all I was doing for them I would get frustrated and change jobs. I say this all in the future tense but for me it is something that happened in the past. I worked my a.. off, I was on call 24/7/365 cut vacations short and ended up getting laid off the same as the guy next to me, who did not work half as hard and asked me many times to go into the office for him in the wee hours of the morning to fix something. I also feel that if I work harder at providing excellent service without the motivation of money but instead of the motivation of feeling I did something good for someone. I would get discouraged when I worked so hard for someone and they did not appreciate my hard work. - by Jorel
I agree and disagree. If i sit on my butt all day I am not trying to make more money and i won't. If i am desparate i will also not make money. So it is a balance you have to be driven but not desparate.. - by benjamin-benjamin
Obviously there is a clear fine line here between
hard work and laziness.

I don't think you can entirely say to
earn more try to stop making more. - by MaxReferrals
As usual, very interesting perspective's. ;wi - by Tony Dunne
The trick to it is focusing on what your purpose or mission in life is. If your whole purpose is to take good care of your customers, love what you do, love your customers, sales will come to you easily and effortlessly.

If you are focused on not having enough sales, or how much money you are making, (or not making) it will be a tough row to hoe for you.

You get what you focus on.

Just my 2 cents. - by Timwelch
Well put Tim thmbp2; - by Tony Dunne
I agree with Tim...don't focus your thoughts, feelings, and actions at work on what you 'lack.' When you focus on the lack you will try too hard to make things happen. You will try to 'force' your success. People will pick up on your lack mindset and things will continue to be tough for you. When you work, and live, in a 'lack mentality' you will continue to attract more negative things to you.

'Shift' your thoughts, feelings, and actions to an 'abundance mentality.' Be grateful for all the good things you have in your life, no matter how small, on a daily basis. Think of how you want your life to play out and focus all your energy on this 'vision.' Imagine that the abundance you want to have is on it's way to you RIGHT NOW. Imagine how it's going to feel emotionally and physically when you have this abundance. Taste it, feel it, smell it, and make it REAL to you in your mind. Focus on this constantly, every day, and your thoughts, feelings, and actions will become much more in line with your desires, automatically.

And when you live with an abundance mentality success seems to come to you much more easily than trying to 'force' it with a lack mindset. You begin to think and feel and act in a much more calm, collective, directed manner when you live with an abundance mindset.

Do you know someone who seems to have everything they want, works less than you do, always seem to be in the right place at the right time, and breezes along in life? They live with an abundance mentality...and this mindset attracts more abundance to them.

Excellent question Snowman... - by Dougd55
Well said coach Doug! - by Tony Dunne

To make more money stop trying to make more money.
Yes, I agree.

1 Did you noticed when you were single and looking for someone to date, it was often a struggle? Yet, when out on a date, you found the opposite sex flirted with you. The same dialectic dynamic is at work regarding money.

2 Also, when focused on money you are not focused on the prospect standing in front of you and he or she will feel your absence.

3 Furthermore, when focused on money you are focused on fulfilling your own needs rather than the one who is best able to fill it.

4 By focusing on the result you are taking away the building energy to get there.

5 Finally, we all remember that when we stopped "trying" to drive a car, it became easier.

These are just few thoughts. I expect others will have many more. - by John Voris
It is dependent upon your state of mind. Using Johnís analogy of dating the same opportunities were there when you are by yourself as there are when you are with a date. The issue is the person alone missed the signals or opportunities by searching for a single type. When you are focused with an open mind the opportunities will be present and noticeable.

I disagree with the statement. If you miss an opportunity there will be someone like me that will take your opportunity away from you. I am focused and I look at each client as an opportunity. It is also an opportunity for the client to make the issue a thing of the past as well as an opportunity for me.

When sales people get in a rut sometimes he or she will press on without investigating how the rut happened. The issue is not pressing on; the issue is not discovering what is preventing the success. If I want to be successful I must be spot on daily and there are days I am not feeling it however I must be able to put aside my own feelings and emotional stance in order to be successful. There is a reason why a sales person fails and discovering those reasons will enhance your ability to make sales.
Sure there are clients who will not buy today and I must also accept that as part of doing business. However never write off a person that is not willing to move forward today.

Stop trying to sell will get you exactly that no sales.
- by rich34232
These posts synchronistically connect with an abstract thought I had this morning.

If all of us were only salespeople--and nothing else--there would be only ONE factor that steers our course and gets us to where we would like to be: Level of Consciousness.

It would be the great separator that makes every law, principle, cliche, methodology, or platitude, pale against it.

But in Life, which encompasses a heck of a lot more than closing the next sale, Level of Consciousness rules.

Snowman has hit on a heavy topic. - by Gary A Boye
These posts synchronistically connect with an abstract thought I had this morning.

If all of us were only salespeople--and nothing else--there would be only ONE factor that steers our course and gets us to where we would like to be: Level of Consciousness.

It would be the great separator that makes every law, principle, cliche, methodology, or platitude, pale against it.

But in Life, which encompasses a heck of a lot more than closing the next sale, Level of Consciousness rules.

Snowman has hit on a heavy topic.
Art has been used as prison torture in Barcelona.

In 1938 the artist Alfonse Laurencic designed and painted the interior of prison cells with: geometric abstractions, surrealistic images, of mind-altering cubes, squares, lines, spirals with color variations, that caused mental confusion and stress. The prisoners became transfixed upon walls with dizzying patterns staring for hours. The overall affect was prisoners lost their sense of resistance and became withdrawn with melancholy.

Alfonse simply reflected the earlier Cubist movement with the influence of the current sensation Salvador Dali.

Placed in a gallery it is art. Place it in a prison cell it is torture. Here, the level of consciousness directs our perspective in a way that generates a virtual reality cloaked over the "real."

Our likes and dislikes may go deeper than subjective opinion.

How would this observation apply to selling?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Gary, you are always exercising our "little gray cells." Thank you for being with us. - by John Voris
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.