Home > Marketing > Spelling Errors

Spelling Errors

I have seen even big players in industry sometimes dont double check spellings on there promotional items, i am sure this really sends a bad message to the customers,

whats your view whether the customer really cares for that if he really wants to buy that product or will keep off - by mtajim
If I noticed a mispelling in an advertisement it wouldn't affect my perception of the product or company but if the mispelling was on the packaging it would. - by Marcus
I knew a guy that use to tell me that spelling errors created attention. In some ways I'm sure he was correct. However spelling errors just like how we dress, hygiene issues, our attitude, etc., all create subconscious attention (or impressions) that may have nothing at all to with the product we are trying to sell.

That first impression tends to drive our initial perception of the product. Generally if someone is turned off by an advertisement or a salesman, the product itself becomes so much harder to sell.

For some, a simple spelling error wouldn't be an initial turn-off. For others, it would subconsciously give an impression of laziness, or lack of caring about details. It could be the thing that starts killing the sale before the salesman ever walked in. Why take the chance? There are many more positive ways to attract attention.

Most word processor programs have spell checkers attached to them. Some browsers even do. (Thank you firefox.);wi I am one of those that subconsciously cringes over poor spelling. To me in this day and age of spell checkers there is no excuse for spelling errors when writing something important.

Pam

(Yes I occasionally make spelling errors....I cringe at my own mistakes too.):un - by LadySmith
I write ads for every home I list and I'm very conscious about mistakes. Mistakes happen but not very often because I'm always checking my work. - by realtor
Thanks for those tips, spelling mistakes does really brings a bad reputataion for companies , if theres a error on product package , then one may think that the product is a duplicate of original - by mtajim
Or.....you could just test.

Send out 50% with no errors and 50% with spelling errors and see which one gets the bigger result.

The results will interest you. - by helisell
The internet lives with horrible spelling. I attended a seminar and they presented each person a book with tips. In this book it used the word jewelry and had tracking that provided information with that word misspelled. They had a higher percentage of people who misspelled the word purchase the product.Whether or not it is true I have no idea nor do I care.

I have listened to many trainers who have made this statement if a client makes up a word you the sales person should use that word.
With advertising I do believe that many do misspell on purpose. That typically would be the advertisement that is remembered. Before thinking it is a mistake due to being a professional you might want to rethink it is a strategy or marketing aha moment.

- by rich34232
The internet lives with horrible spelling. I attended a seminar and they presented each person a book with tips. In this book it used the word jewelry and had tracking that provided information with that word misspelled. They had a higher percentage of people who misspelled the word purchase the product.Whether or not it is true I have no idea nor do I care.

I have listened to many trainers who have made this statement if a client makes up a word you the sales person should use that word.
With advertising I do believe that many do misspell on purpose. That typically would be the advertisement that is remembered. Before thinking it is a mistake due to being a professional you might want to rethink it is a strategy or marketing aha moment.
We have had a lot of trainers aboard SalesPractice and I have never heard or read the advice you say "many" trainers have offered concerning using a "client" made up word. Could you quote specific sources for your statement so that other members can discern it?

Also can you point us to any "advertising" that misspells on purpose? I'm not referring to branding such as Toys R Us--but advertising as you claimed. - by Gary A Boye
why must I prove everything I say to you? I can give you names - by rich34232
why must I prove everything I say to you? I can give you names
Excellent question, Rich.

The site developers are hell bent on living up to the mission of being The Definitive Source of Sales Education on the Internet. They also re