Home > Advertising > Convince me in five words or less!

Convince me in five words or less!

Elevator speech, tagline, sales message, value proposition, unique selling proposition... aren't these all pretty much the same thing? - by Thomas
Elevator speech, tagline, sales message, value proposition, unique selling proposition... aren't these all pretty much the same thing?
I'll give you my interpretations...

An Elevator Speech is a quick rundown (in a nutshell) of what you're offering.

A Tagline and Slogan are similar except that a tagline acts like a memory jogger and a slogan acts more like a short advertisement.

A Sales Message is the unique approach or light that you're presenting your product or service in. Your sales message would change depending on the target audience.

A Value Proposition is a "Who-What-Why" message used for advertising purposes.

A Unique Selling Proposition (USP) is about a unique (can't get it anywhere else) and compelling (worth the jump) benefit the customer will receive by using your product or service. - by SpeedRacer
Elevator speech, tagline, sales message, value proposition, unique selling proposition... aren't these all pretty much the same thing?

What puts you in the market? - by benjamin-benjamin
What puts you in the market?
What do you mean? :cu - by Thomas
What do you mean? :cu
sorry, i was just giving you a hard time. I try to make my spill change based off of what is important to someone.. - by benjamin-benjamin
sorry, i was just giving you a hard time. I try to make my spill change based off of what is important to someone..
What is your opinion B-B do you think these are all pretty much the same thing? - by Thomas
What is your opinion B-B do you think these are all pretty much the same thing?
I believe that if you plan to talk to someone about anything and you have a set plan on what you are going to say, i don't believe that is effective. now don't get me wrong, i am a huge believer in pre-call planning, but you must find out what is important to someone. If i am selling something and my sales message (or whatever you want to call it) is how great our prices are and someone has a budget of whatever they want to spend, then it was ineffective.
as far as the 5 things (USP, value, etc...) I believe that they can all overlap depending on what you are selling. sorry to be so vague.... - by benjamin-benjamin
I believe that if you plan to talk to someone about anything and you have a set plan on what you are going to say, i don't believe that is effective.
How else would you advertise your products besides figuring out what your going to say and then saying it? :cu - by Thomas
How else would you advertise your products besides figuring out what your going to say and then saying it? :cu
sorry i misunderstood, i thought you were talking about when you meet someone, not advertising.... sorry.. - by benjamin-benjamin
Yes , they all seem to be same , but theres diffrence in the way you take them - by mtajim
Yes , they all seem to be same , but theres diffrence in the way you take them
How do you take them? :cu - by Marcus
I'll give you my interpretations...

An Elevator Speech is a quick rundown (in a nutshell) of what you're offering.

A Tagline and Slogan are similar except that a tagline acts like a memory jogger and a slogan acts more like a short advertisement.

A Sales Message is the unique approach or light that you're presenting your product or service in. Your sales message would change depending on the target audience.

A Value Proposition is a "Who-What-Why" message used for advertising purposes.

A Unique Selling Proposition (USP) is about a unique (can't get it anywhere else) and compelling (worth the jump) benefit the customer will receive by using your product or service.
Thanks for breaking that down SpeedRacer. This will help anyone who is trying to sort out the differences. :thu - by Jolly Roger
sorry i misunderstood, i thought you were talking about when you meet someone, not advertising.... sorry..
No worries. ;sm - by Thomas
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.