Home > Marketing > Branding

Branding

Does anyone have any quick tips on Branding? - by Newbie
In a nutshell, consistency of message and perception! - by Jolly Roger
Does anyone have any quick tips on Branding?
Tip #1: Strike when the iron is hot. :) - by AZBroker
Does anyone have any quick tips on Branding?
Make sure your brand image appeals to your target audience. - by Bobette Kyle
Make sure your brand image appeals to your target audience.
Bobette, can you expand on that? Thanks. :) - by SpeedRacer
Bobette, can you expand on that? Thanks. :)
Sure. :)

There are certain values, lifestyles, etc. that will appeal to your target audience. Also, they will respond to certain types of imagery, colors, etc. better than others. I guess what I am getting at is if you know all about your target audience, then you can build your brand image - and deliver your marketing message - around elements that appeal to the people you are talking to.

An example could be the colors you choose to reflect your brand. Packaging on some of the deodorants targeted to teens, for example, use a lot of sparkly, bright colors. Which appeals to teenagers.

Another example is the feelings you want to be associated with your brand. If your target audience wants to be seen as sexy, then you may want to incorporate that into a brand image. Keeping on a deodorant-like theme...Tag Body Spray for Men has commercials showing women being severely attracted to men who use it, and their fragrance names suggest intimate situations (First Move, After Hourse, Lucky Day). These work together to create an image that appeals to the target audience.

In a nutshell, it's related to positioning...know your audience, position the brand to appeal to that audience (while fulfilling important need(s)), and create a brand image that will trigger that appeal. - by Bobette Kyle
In a nutshell, it's related to positioning...
What is the difference between "positioning" and "branding"? :confused: - by Mikey
What is the difference between "positioning" and "branding"? :confused:
I think of positioning as focused on the users' (or buyers') perceptions (in other words, helping the consumer or customer "see" the product in a certain light)...the things that make a person perceive it as different from its competitors.

I think of branding as more product focused and broader...the processof all the things that go into making the product a brand and assuring the positioning strategy is implemented correctly (developing logos, appealing packaging, advertising campaigns, making product available in the "right" places, pricing it correctly wrt its positioning strategy, etc).

I guess I am saying I see positioning as a part branding. - by Bobette Kyle
I agree with Bobette. But, the other thing to keep in mind is that all these terms are used differently by different people and in different contexts. I think if you understand the concepts, you shouldn't get too hung up on the terminology.

Another way I look at it is this: Your brand has a definition in people's minds. You want your brand definition to reflect how you've positioned yourself in the market.

Take Walmart, for example. The definition they want folks to think of when they hear Walmart includes: large selection, one-stop shopping, reasonable prices, helps their customers get more of what they want, etc etc

As opposed to say, Neiman Marcus, whose position or brand definition would be more: expensive, upscale, prestigious, outstanding customer service, etc.

The way I think of it, first you figure out who your customers are and what your position is in the market, which you can call your positioning or brand definition.

Then, you figure out what you have to do to burn your brand definition into people's brains when they see your brand. That's called branding, or a branding process, and it includes designing a logo, packaging, where and how to advertise, etc.

Hope that helps rather than muddy the waters!

Kathleen - by KSA-Mktg
Here is how I view the two:

Who is involved and what characteristics are associated with this product/service? [Brand]

How does product/service compare to the competition? Low quality/High Quality, Low Price/High Price, etc. [Positioning] - by SalesGuy
I think if you understand the concepts, you shouldn't get too hung up on the terminology.
Yes! The important thing is that your audience loves and buys your product/service. Get that connection right and precise definitions are a mute point.

When it comes down to it, in marketing exact terminology really only counts when you have to take a test...and then it's only the instructor's interpretation of the terminology that matters. :p - by Bobette Kyle
An example could be the colors you choose to reflect your brand. Packaging on some of the deodorants targeted to teens, for example, use a lot of sparkly, bright colors. Which appeals to teenagers.
I agree that "colors" are important. For instance:

--I associate Federal Express's (Fed/Ex's) colors with "official documents". So when I want to mail a "document" I think Fed/Ex.

--I associate Uinited Parcel Service's (UPS) colors with a brown "package". So when I want to mail a "package" I think UPS. - by Jackie
Thanks for the article. I joined the forum this evening and found this thread right on target for what I am contemplating.

Dave - by KeysToFlorida
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.