Home > Technology > Email Newsletter

Email Newsletter

Does anyone put out an email newsletter? Do you think people would read these? - by Newbie
Do you think people would read these?
I guess that would depend on who you're sending them to.

For instance, if you're sending them to opt-ins and/or previous clients then I think the response would be favorable.

On the other hand, if your doing nothing more than sending SPAM then your email would probably not be very welcome. ;) - by Jolly Roger
Does anyone put out an email newsletter? Do you think people would read these?
SalesPractice does now and I hope so. :p - by Jeff Blackwell
Along similar lines...I'd like to know more about offering a free report. Bald Dog, you have mentioned this on many occasions--"getting people into your 'funnel.'" Since I have decided to follow your lead on this...I'm curious--if you don't mind sharing:

1. How many requests (a range) do you get for your free stuff/report?
2. How frequently do you follow up with them after they have received their free goods?
3. What type of content do you use on follow up (ie: sales pitch? or other free stuff? advice?) Do all sales pitches come wrapped in "free beneficial stuff" to your target market?
4. Do all your sales come from this lead list? In other words the goal of your website is to first, get them on the list. Then, sell them later on. Or do you sell directly from the website, as well? - by RainMaker
Bald Dog, do you have any how-to articles on how to use free reports and autoresponders? - by Newbie
OPTin Newsletters is definitely the way to go. But it must be used properly to get the response you like.

Before any online business thinks of adding a newsletter feature to their marketing strategy, they need to sit down a figure out "why" they are doing it, "how" they plan on using it (just to give, to accomplish a sales strategy, a step in your aquisition process, a customer retention tool, etc), and "who" the targeted Newsletter should address. I suggest looking at your primary market, and analyze the response. Then if you have the resources, create a flank market strategy to address your minor markets.

Once you figure out what the primary objective of the campaign is, make sure the content and material, and all supporting links given in the Newsletter are created to move the "visitor" towards your campaign objective.

Best,

Ritchie - by cs_obd
Bald Dog, do you have any how-to articles on how to use free reports and autoresponders?
I'd be interested in learning more about free reports and autoresponders too. :) - by BossMan
Once you figure out what the primary objective of the campaign is, make sure the content and material, and all supporting links given in the Newsletter are created to move the "visitor" towards your campaign objective.
Good point, Richie! - by RainMaker
Along similar lines...I'd like to know more about offering a free report. Bald Dog, you have mentioned this on many occasions--"getting people into your 'funnel.'" Since I have decided to follow your lead on this...I'm curious--if you don't mind sharing:

1. How many requests (a range) do you get for your free stuff/report?
I'm not sure if this answers your question, but on my membership site we recently changed from just offering a newsletter, to offering a newsletter PLUS a special report. I don't have exact numbers yet but my guess is that our signups have doubled...
2. How frequently do you follow up with them after they have received their free goods?
We have a series of autoresponders where they get a personalized message from us about 5 times in one month, plus our newsletter every 2 weeks. I should mention, though, that our conversion rate from newsletter to signing up for membership has been dismal, so we experimented with offering a complimentary 30-day trial, and our signup rate went up by a factor of 10. Needless to say, we are now doing away with the newsletter altogether and will just offer the free trial (plus the report) shortly.
3. What type of content do you use on follow up (ie: sales pitch? or other free stuff? advice?) Do all sales pitches come wrapped in "free beneficial stuff" to your target market?
My advice is to give away as much as possible, especially if it doesn't cost you anything. You are trying to build trust with potential clients...and it takes 7-9 touches before they are going to buy from you anyway, and then only if they need what you have right now. We made this mistake with our newsletter early on, putting too much emphasis on asking people to sign up -- and thankfully someone gave us that feedback so we could fix it!
4. Do all your sales come from this lead list? In other words the goal of your website is to first, get them on the list. Then, sell them later on. Or do you sell directly from the website, as well?
My business is a little different in that it is completely online, so yes all the leads come from people who sign up. Getting them on your list should absolutely be the focus of your website. Then, don't sell them, offer value, build trust, and educate them about your offer.

If you sell from the website (at least the main page) too, then people get confused...your home page needs to have one call to action, and only one! Get them on your list!

Hope this helps!
Terri Z - by Terri Zwierzynski
Great information Terri. Thanks. :) - by SEO-LAD
Terri, this post was incredibly packed with valuable information. Thank you very much. I visited your page to better understand how you were applying these points. BTY--great copy. You do an excellent job at plucking the heartstrings of the solo-e's pain.

Your 30-day free trial sounds like the way to go. I had a disasterous experiment with this concept, but my product requires several hours to create upfont (unlike simply allowing access). When prospects got it for free, they did not take it seriously, did not utilize it, and ultimately, they did not get good results (or did not recognize the results).:(

Your last statement is really giving me cause for pause. (I hate when I hear something that really strikes a chord that requires a total re-group! I am very tired of re-grouping!) Needless to say, I am doing both (sales pitch plus get free report) on my marketing page.

If you don't mind my asking, what does membership to your service cost? - by RainMaker
Terri, this post was incredibly packed with valuable information. Thank you very much. I visited your page to better understand how you were applying these points. BTY--great copy. You do an excellent job at plucking the heartstrings of the solo-e's pain.
Thank you! Believe me, it took a lot of time to get to that copy...I learned a lot along the way!

If you don't mind my asking, what does membership to your service cost?
Currently, we have an introductory price of $9.95/mo. We are raising it to $27 Oct. 1 -- quite simply, we got a lot of feedback that the price was too low and we were probably hurting our perception in the marketplace! But folks that join between now and Sept. 30 will get a chance to lock in at the intro rate for 6 months. - by Terri Zwierzynski
This thread has been very informative and helpful to me. I wish I could add something--I can't. Just trying to soak it up.

I do have one question for all. Are their any definitive guides or books out that offer a comprehensive strategy involving this subject? - by Gary Boye
I do have one question for all. Are their any definitive guides or books out that offer a comprehensive strategy involving this subject?
I can't say that there is. There are guides to building a list...I've picked up tips here and there. But since there is so much variation among different types of businesses, it's hard to find a definitive guide.

A lot of it comes down to experimenting, measuring, adjusting, experimenting some more. In other words, trial and error.

Sorry I don't have a silver bullet!

Terri Z - by Terri Zwierzynski
Thanks, Terri. - by Gary Boye
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.