Home > Personal Development > A question of ethics

A question of ethics

Where do you draw the line between sales and ethics?

I brought this question up in the "selling ice to eskimos" thread. If you want to follow the where and why, please start there. - by kpm1976
As John C Maxwell says, "there is no such thing as business ethics."

Your sales tactics must be ethical, and that's all there is to it.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill - by Bill_Kistner
There isn't a line for me I'm honest with everyone. - by Thomas
If the question is when do you cross the line between right and wrong behavior in the pursuit of a sale then my answer is never. This begs the question, what is right and what is wrong? ;wi - by SalesGuy
Theres should be a line i think , one should not go on begging to the client to persude him to buy the product - by mtajim
If it feels like it is right.....then you are doing right. There should NEVER be a question of whether you should "pull the wool over your customer's eyes" any more than you would appreciate it being done to you.;wi The largest mistake I see sales people make is by them thinking that somehow that they are "above" their customer in ANY way. A sales relationship is based upon TRUST, and even though you may get away with "fooling some", it is my belief that the rest you DON'T hear from again after the sale did NOT believe in your "sincerity....and were just "too polite" to point it out.;sm

We are not HALF as clever as we think we are....the only REAL solution is not to "twist" ANYTHING, but to do the RIGHT thing and just learn the product intricately enough to react to ANY situation.:thu .

This....will set you light years ahead of other sales people in the future.

Slow and steady wins the race...take the time to do things right and straight forward as if you were the one being helped.

GOOD LUCK!

-David - by truesaxman
My personal integrity was always more important than a sale. If you start fudging the truth about a product or service, it's probably time to look elsewhere for employment.

Susan - by susana
My personal integrity was always more important than a sale.
If you start to bend the rules sooner or later there will be no rules. :sa - by Slick
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.