Home > Jobs > King of the buggy whips

King of the buggy whips

If your industry was fast becoming the King of the Buggy whips, what industry would you jump to and why? - by TommyMac5
If your industry was fast becoming the King of the Buggy whips, what industry would you jump to and why?
I don't know. :dun

I would look at real estate because that is close to what I am doing. I decided against selling cars so that's out. What good sales jobs are out there? - by Thomas
If your industry was fast becoming the King of the Buggy whips, what industry would you jump to and why?
I'd find another niche market for whips besides buggies.;tmt(Mostly kidding.)

Anyway, I'm in the process of finding another occupation. I use to be in retail sales (15+yrs). I got out of it thinking I was burnt out from making the hard decision to shut my store down.

I moved on and went into another industry. A year and a half ago I got hurt on the job. Two arm surgeries later, I still can't lift much with without shooting pains up my arm. I'm looking at the possibility of a third operation, and most likely finding yet a new career.;thd

I've looked at a lot of options in many industries and many states. I kept coming back to sales. Once I decided sales was the most likely option given my limitations, I started figuring out what I, personally and professionally wanted out of sales this time around.

I decided that, if at all possible, I'd like to own my own business verses working for someone else. I wanted to live in an area that had amenities that would attract me to having a decent life outside of my career. I decided I wanted to do something that took me out of an office or store on a fairly consistent basis. It had to keep me mentally challenged and was likely to keep my interest for quite a few years. However, I also wanted something that I could plan an exit strategy within 10 to 12 years if I so chose. Now it was time to do some serious research.

I didn't find anything in a retail store environment that interested/challenged me that I think would be viable enough to create an exit strategy within my time frame. I looked at the possibility of opening a coffee shop and found a couple of areas that had a real viable market, but nothing that I felt was somewhere that would have enough other amenities to keep my interest. I looked at the idea of real estate sales, but really didn't want to be attached to a specific broker.

Finally I met someone that was doing brokering of pre-owned manufactured homes in parks in WV. If you look back at some of my posts you'll find that in WV it is an extremely viable market with next to no competition. I went to college in WV and worked in various places within the state. I would actually really like to move back to some of the areas I've put on the top of my list as most viable. I continued to look at other ideas, but this one kept coming back to the top.

I have a bunch of challenges to meet before I can get licensed, and open up this business, but it looks like it will happen. All of my research points to a very viable business option that will allow me to have a excellent exit strategy in 10 to 12 years if I chose to.

Anyway that's my take on your buggy whip scenario.

Pam - by LadySmith
Thanks for your insight LadySmith. You really have taken the time for a self assessment. It's interesting how the mind works, and double interesting how free sales people think. Sales gives you options that most people dream about.

I wish you the best, it sounds like you have a firm plan with a path to success!! - by TommyMac5
If I was no longer involved with real estate I'd start my own small business. I would be using the same sales and marketing skills the only difference would be the product. I haven't given it much thought but I think I'd first check into business opportunities in travel and leisure. - by AZBroker
If I was no longer involved with real estate I'd start my own small business. I would be using the same sales and marketing skills the only difference would be the product. I haven't given it much thought but I think I'd first check into business opportunities in travel and leisure.

With the do it yourself nature of the internet, do you think money can be made in the travel and leisure business? What opportunities do you think will emerge in the next 3-5 years as a result of the aging of America? - by TommyMac5
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.