Home > Management > How much do you "actually" use your computer?

How much do you "actually" use your computer?

I was thinking about this the other day. I know that 80% of my time is spent between Firefox, Outlook, Quicken and Act. As far as my PC goes, it is totally underutilized. In fact, most of the time it's being used for Internet, which really doesn't use my "PC" much at all. We have huge hard drives, ultra fast processors, powerful graphic cards, and 99% of the time the PC is not really doing anything. Sure, I use Excel and Word, but not that often, and when I do, I spend most of my time thinking, not doing.

I don't want to sound like a Linux hawker (as you can tell, my office PC is windows), but it seems crazy to me to spend so much $$ on computing power when it goes so underutilized, when I can get that and more with Linux on a lesser PC.

By the way, if you want to try something interesting, go to "http://www.thinkfree.com/". It's free. It's an online (Microsoft compatible) spreadsheet, word processor, presentation program. I use this when I'm noodling about something that I want to continue at home, or anywhere else. Oh, and they have a presentation program you can buy ($29.95) for making presentations you can put on your iPod!

Want a presentation that's always a Internet click away?, set one up there. Want a mortgage analysis that you can tinker with any time you want, like when you're bored at the in-laws?, set on up there. You get the idea.

Tommy - by TommyMac5
I use a few applications here and there but 90% of the time I use my computer to get on the Internet. What does Windows have that Linux doesn't Tommy? - by Calvin
I worked my last two computers so hard they both died on the table. I'm usually running 2-4 apps (Illustrator, QuickBooks, etc.) at any given time. I can get by with 1GB RAM, 100GB HD, and a decent CPU (P4 2.2GHz+). - by SpeedRacer
I use a few applications here and there but 90% of the time I use my computer to get on the Internet. What does Windows have that Linux doesn't Tommy?
Windows has the ability to eat up all of your hard drive space, it has the largest installed base of software, it has the ability to barf when you least want it to, it has the ability to make you pay for more computing power to do what you do now .... - by TommyMac5
I can spend a lot of time in front of the computer but I don't actually use the computer for much more than the Internet and printing forms. - by AZBroker
I can spend a lot of time in front of the computer but I don't actually use the computer for much more than the Internet and printing forms.
This sort of confirms my confusion as to the lack of success for the "internet Appliance" concept. For a while, they were touting the idea of a bare bones unit with high speed connectivity, with a low price tag. The idea was that people will use the internet more than anything else, and jobs that were once done using PC based software will run in your browser.

With Google's online suite, Microsoft's rumblings of an online version of Works, websites like the Thinkfree I told you guys about (who, is looking like it's becoming a Google buyout candidate by the way), and online sales management software like CRM's and SalesForce.com, it seems to me the world is ripe for an Internet appliance.

I for one would love an inexpensive appliance in my kitchen with minimal calendaring, a browser, and a "sticky note" manager. I would never forget to pick someone up from brownies, baseball, cheer leading, football, after school club, yada yada..

Any thoughts? - by TommyMac5
I for one would love an inexpensive appliance in my kitchen with minimal calendaring, a browser, and a "sticky note" manager. I would never forget to pick someone up from brownies, baseball, cheer leading, football, after school club, yada yada..

Any thoughts?
That would be cool with wireless and a touch screen. :thup - by Thomas
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.