Home > Direct Marketing > How to get your mail piece opened

How to get your mail piece opened

I want to start sending direct mail to a few subdivisions. I know you're suppose to use a first class stamp and hand address the envelopes. What other ways help to get the mail piece opened? - by realtor
Realtor,

If you're going to send a postcard, try offering some kind of free report. That may generate some warm leads.
Also, if you're looking for a card that comes in a 'greeting card' envelope, check out www.uniquefollowup.com.
It's the system I use for my business.

Susan - by susana
If you're going to send a postcard, try offering some kind of free report. That may generate some warm leads.
I'm considering this idea Susan. I also found a company that sells real estate postcards. - by realtor
The reason I chose this system is the ability to insert a photo on the front of the card.
Next month, I the book I co-authored (Million Dollar Marketing Secrets) will be published.
I've uploaded the front cover image to a card. Anyone who purchases the book will get the card sent to them with a personal thank you from me.
I can't figure out how to get the image in this thread. If you pm me, I'd be happy to email it to you.

Susan - by susana
Put a coin into the envelope. - by Wonderboy
There must be quite a few books and essays written on the subject of how to get your envelopes opened. The Direct Marketing Association Inc Manuals that I own from way back in the 80s( I do not know if they still are in print) have good references to this area. But the comment I most wish to make is that if you read these articels somewhat laterally, most of the suggestion can help to get pepole to click open your emails as well. So its probably worthwhile to go dig up and review these old materials. - by alexhar
Don't use a #10 envelope. Use an envelope like the one your grandmother sends on your birthday.
I use Jorel's idea and hand-write the envelope. I never use company name, only mine.

Also, I sometimes FedEx the letter. It's always received. And in the letter I refer to the letter's importance, thy the reader knows why I decided to Fed Ex it.

It's been quite successful. - by Bald Dog
I use Jorel's idea and hand-write the envelope. I never use company name, only mine.

Also, I sometimes FedEx the letter. It's always received. And in the letter I refer to the letter's importance, thy the reader knows why I decided to Fed Ex it.

It's been quite successful.
Interesting facts you've got going on here. I agree, when sending a low volume person to person letter, using a handwritten odd sized envelope would be choice.

FedExing a letter would no doubt increase your views and response but would be incredibly costly over a .41 first class live stamp.

Obviously you know what works best for you so congrats on your success with this method!

I send mine out by the thousands. They are personalized letters, highly targeted, #10 window, 1st. class live with my company name as the return.

I too, have numbers through the roof on my return. So it's obvious it goes to say that experimentation in finding what works best for your application is key. With first class stamps alone I'm spending 2k per week on my direct mail. I couldn't imagine the expense I'd have FedExin' these babies lol.

It took me about a year of experimenting to reach a national return of approx. 2.25% which is practically unheard of with a direct mail in the 21st century. This provides me with more super hot leads than I can call and never running out of hot leads/prospects is a salesman's wet dream. I'm very pleased with where I'm at. ;sm - by bluenote
FedExing a letter would no doubt increase your views and response but would be incredibly costly over a .41 first class live stamp.
But do I really care about the cost of a $15 FedEx letter when my letter can bring me million plus over time? I don't?

And I send it to the highest level where normal letters can't reach.

But this is my approach. I don't send mass letters. Let's say I read an interview with a CEO about a problem I can help with. I FedEx a letter to the CEO and refer to the interview. In my letter I outline the related problems and the consequences I've seen companies suffer from. And then I ask...

Maybe it's not even appropriate for us to discuss this, but if you think this problem could happen to your company, do you think it would make sense to compare notes over breakfast?

If the company is not local, then over the phone or Skype.

I've found that good buyers from good companies agree.

It took me about a year of experimenting to reach a national return of approx. 2.25% which is practically unheard of with a direct mail in the 21st century. This provides me with more super hot leads than I can call and never running out of hot leads/prospects is a salesman's wet dream. I'm very pleased with where I'm at. ;sm
This is brilliant. Lots of salespeople would kill for that knowledge. - by Bald Dog
It took me about a year of experimenting to reach a national return of approx. 2.25% which is practically unheard of with a direct mail in the 21st century.
What is your secret to success? - by realtor
You can put an appropriately, strongly scented card in the envelope with a message related to your product or service. - by Wonderboy
What is your secret to success?
There's no secret involved. I achieved these results through trial and era over the course of a year by testing what works and what doesn't with my mailing.

However, there are key factors involved with direct mail that are indeed crucial, for a maximum return, regardless of your line of work.

I've posted a thread titled Direct Mail Tips which includes a link and summary of techniques. It's about half way down the DM page.

IMO, junk mail has things like confidential, time sensitive, 2nd or final offer, etc... on the front of the envelope. This is nonsense. What would your impression be from a letter that had that from a person/company who you haven't done business with in the past?

All mail is opened. What gets read is another story. Keep your mailing as professional as your presentation would be. This is your first impression. Afterwards, it's all a numbers game.

Here are some absolute ingredients for a max DM return.

1. Highly targeted list.
2. Superior quality list - You get what you pay for; buy from a reputable firm.
3. Content of your letter/offer.
4. How does the prospect reply to you?

These are in no particular order of importance. They are all crucial.

People are not stupid so don't treat them like they are. Your letter should read as if you are having a face to face conversation with someone. Lose any and all corporate mumbo jumbo. There are professional and proper ways to write a letter/offer. Follow them.

How many ways does the prospect have to get in touch with you? I offer 4 of them. Phone; fax; website; mail. The more the better.

1. I get phone call inquiries - which I turn into hot leads (I do not present my offer to these people when they call in the first time. Don't act hungry, they'll read it immediately). I answer their questions and take the same info as if they visited my website, faxed or mailed me.

2. They fax me the filled out form I included in my direct mail.

3. They log on to my website and submit this form online.

4. They mail the form back to via the USPS.

My max closing ratio comes with presenting my products and service between a 10 and 20 day follow-up on their inquiry.

In summary, the greatest determining factors of a direct mail return are:

1. Contacting the right people with the right product/service.

2. The content of your letter/offer.

3. How do they reply?

As always, whether you're mailing or in your actual presentation, stick to the basics and keep it simple.

Simple works. - by bluenote
Thank you for the tips Bluenote. I'm writing them down in my ideas log. thmbp2; - by realtor
Glad I could be of some help Realtor.

Another important key is to triple check your grammar and spelling if you are writing your own letter. Then have someone else read it again.

"Errors", like the one I made below will make a horrible impression and kill your return.

"I achieved these results through trial and era over the course of a year by testing what works and what doesn't with my mailing."

On the not so humorous side, I'm from New York and that's how we pronounce error. ;bg - by bluenote
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.