Home > Follow-up > Would you follow up after sending a mail piece?

Would you follow up after sending a mail piece?

I plan to start sending direct mail to different subdivisions. All together I'll be mailing about 500 people. Would you follow up by phone after sending the mail pieces? - by realtor
If you're mailing to a highly targeted list of prospects, for sale by owners for example, I would follow-up with a phone call. I would also send the mail out in batches so I could make all the calls before the next piece hits the mailboxes. - by BossMan
Or you could make the call first. I know when I go through my mail box I dump the junk before I get to the door. If I recognize a name or company, I might at least read it before I throw it out. - by Jorel
What is the goal of the direct mail campaign? - by AZBroker
What is the goal of the direct mail campaign?

Lead Generation - by Jorel
What is the goal of the direct mail campaign?
I want to get my name out to the homes in the subdivisions so they will know who I am and call me if they are looking for a realtor. - by realtor
I want to get my name out to the homes in the subdivisions so they will know who I am and call me if they are looking for a realtor.
With that type of general mailing I wouldn't recommend making contact with each household as a follow-up. IMO that isn't the highest and best use of your time. - by AZBroker
With that type of general mailing I wouldn't recommend making contact with each household as a follow-up. IMO that isn't the highest and best use of your time.
What do you think about leaving flyers instead of sending mail? Is one better than the other? - by realtor
What do you think about leaving flyers instead of sending mail? Is one better than the other?
Better based on what... reach, cost, prospect receptiveness? Will you deliver the flyers in person and attempt to make direct contact with the homeowner or will you simply leave a door-hanger? Will your mail piece compel the homeowner to drop everything and call you immediately or will it be viewed as just another piece of junk mail? - by AZBroker
Better based on what... reach, cost, prospect receptiveness? Will you deliver the flyers in person and attempt to make direct contact with the homeowner or will you simply leave a door-hanger? Will your mail piece compel the homeowner to drop everything and call you immediately or will it be viewed as just another piece of junk mail?
My brain hurts. ;pi - by realtor
Or you could make the call first. I know when I go through my mail box I dump the junk before I get to the door. If I recognize a name or company, I might at least read it before I throw it out.
I agree. Save your marketing budget and get dialing. msnwnk; - by Julian
No hard and fast rules. One would have to compare what a reminder mailing campaign would cost and the possible responses vs that of a phone call. My mail order experience seems to suggest that a reminder mailing is often worth 30-50% of the initial mailing in terms of response rates.

Often we may be able to reduce the cost of the reminder mail to about 60% that of the initial, and the sums work out OK.

Its also important to remember that there may be a cost involved in staggering activities vs pushing out in one go.

Important thing is to do your sums and TEST, TEST & TEST - by alexhar
I plan to start sending direct mail to different subdivisions. All together I'll be mailing about 500 people. Would you follow up by phone after sending the mail pieces?
I wouldn't call them at all. It takes too much time. I would write a sequence of 3-4 letters.

The first one would invite them to come to the website to download a free special report written around this market segment's biggest problem and frustration.

Marketing Sherpa surveys indicate that some 79% of your prospects (depending on the copy and the report's title) will download the report.

The downloaders would go into a lead nurturing programme.

The non-downloaders would receive the remaining pieces of the letter sequence.

If they still don't respond, I'm done with them.

I prefer writing because the phone is far too time consuming.

And once they are in my lead nurturing programme, I don't really care when they become clients. Sooner or later they will. Some sooner, some later.

There is one problem with this approach. It's not instant. Since many businesses are nothing more than organised chaos, desperately needing instant sales, this approach is only for the rest. And then the rest seems to be the most profitable.

At least in the B2B world I've found that the later I ask for the money, the more I get. So, I'm not in a hurry. Instead of chasing them all over hell's half acre, I let people come to me when they're ready to buy.

And once you set up this momentum, you're set for life. You never run out of "ready to buy" sales leads.

Thoughts? - by Bald Dog
And once you set up this momentum, you're set for life. You never run out of "ready to buy" sales leads.
How effective would this be for real estate? - by realtor
How effective would this be for real estate?
Humans are humans are humans. It's not industry-specific. It just works.

It can be adopted to any industry from astrology to zoology. You can find lots of great examples in Dan Kennedy's Magnetic Marketing programme. - by Bald Dog
Humans are humans are humans. It's not industry-specific. It just works.

It can be adopted to any industry from astrology to zoology. You can find lots of great examples in Dan Kennedy's Magnetic Marketing programme.
Much appreciated Bald Dog. thmbp2; - by realtor
I would also suggest a mailing with a special report. Top 10 Ways to Increase the Value of Your Home. Direct them to a website, where those who sign up for the report are now warm leads. - by susana
I would also suggest a mailing with a special report. Top 10 Ways to Increase the Value of Your Home. Direct them to a website, where those who sign up for the report are now warm leads.
This is nipplepiercingly brilliant. This approach can also be used in press releases.

Top 10 Ways to Increase the Value of Your Home.

Four of them are... [these four go into the press release]

For the other 6 Ways to Increase the Value of Your Home... visit [www.yourwebsite.com/reportpr.html]

This is a dedicated page for the report and allows you to track traffic from the press release.

You can also set up a goal for this report in Google Analytics for better tracking. - by Bald Dog
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.