Home > Public Relations > Free publicity article

Free publicity article

I'm thinking I could write a short article on the differences between manufactured home loans and real estate loans and then ask the newspaper if they wanted to use it. That would be free publicity for me and I'd look pretty savvy right? Do you see any problems with doing this? - by Thomas
That is actually a great idea, position yourself as the expert. You may want to consider taking it one step further write 6 months worth of articles and tell them that you would like to start a new colum in the paper and you submit one every week. If you have at least 6 months worth they will see you as serious and also see your writing style and how it works in with their paper.

I would not approach them with the I want to write an article for your paper. I would go with the I have had comments from some of my clients that they like my weekly, monthly emails, blogs that I send them and one of them said this is something I wish my local newspaper had. This will show them that you are not doing it for you but you are doing it for the community. You can even get a list of signitures requesting that the paper have a weekly, monthly article like the one you want to write so that your local paper sees the need from several of it customers. Good Luck. :thup

P.S.

Why not post an article here so we can give some extra input? - by Jorel
That is actually a great idea, position yourself as the expert. You may want to consider taking it one step further write 6 months worth of articles and tell them that you would like to start a new colum in the paper and you submit one every week. If you have at least 6 months worth they will see you as serious and also see your writing style and how it works in with their paper.

I would not approach them with the I want to write an article for your paper. I would go with the I have had comments from some of my clients that they like my weekly, monthly emails, blogs that I send them and one of them said this is something I wish my local newspaper had. This will show them that you are not doing it for you but you are doing it for the community. You can even get a list of signitures requesting that the paper have a weekly, monthly article like the one you want to write so that your local paper sees the need from several of it customers. Good Luck. :thup

P.S.

Why not post an article here so we can give some extra input?
Thanks Jorel. I haven't written the article yet. I'm still deciding if it will be worth the effort. erm; - by Thomas
Thanks Jorel. I haven't written the article yet. I'm still deciding if it will be worth the effort. erm;
yes it will be worth the effort. What better way to get your name out. Also i agree with 6 months min. I would try to get on fulltime. Maybe down the line you can have people ask you questions and you answer them in your column... - by benjamin-benjamin
An article a week for 6 months is a lot of articles. I was thinking one or two articles tops. ohn; - by Thomas
An article a week for 6 months is a lot of articles. I was thinking one or two articles tops. ohn;
Not if you were featured once a month... that is just 6 articles.... - by benjamin-benjamin
Not if you were featured once a month... that is just 6 articles....
That's better. ;sm Now all I need to work on is my writer's block. hpy3; - by Thomas
Start with one article Thomas. See how it goes. When you're done with that see how you feel about writing another. Rinse and repeat. msnwnk; - by SalesCoach
Newspapers in Singapore are pretty hardnosed and it is not easy to get news from PR releases published unless it truly has societal appeal, significance or is an event with a strong human angle. PR Releases and events concerning minorities and minority interest tend also to get better coverage. A recent PR event publicised by my company Media Consultancy Asia, where a Chinese traditonal Medicien company introduce a "halah" range of products for the minority muslim malay population in Singapore for got pretty good coverage. More information on this event may be found at http://www.media-asiaconsult.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=24&Itemid= - by alexhar
In my experience editors are attracted to articles which are professionally laid out and they can simply mark-up for typesetting and - they like a hook! A hook is something that captures the attention of their readers.

If for example you feature a real life situation, about a couple that saved thousands on their loan, it has more impact than a piece of “fluff” that editors can buy for a few dollars from a syndication company. Also using real examples will probably help you to get over writer’s block. Darwin - by dicivi
Thanks everyone. I'm feeling more confident already. sn; - by Thomas
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.