Home > Interview > Non-decision makers

Non-decision makers

I just had another couple come in who said they were looking around for their mother who will will be moving here once her home sells back in another state.

I also deal with people who are looking for their friends who live out of state.

This is frustrating for me because I don't want to show homes unless the person buying is there but the friends and family want me to show them homes so they can tell the buyer about them.

I tell them they can see homes on the Internet but they still want to look.

What do you recommend I do? - by Thomas
This is frustrating for me because I don't want to show homes unless the person buying is there but the friends and family want me to show them homes so they can tell the buyer about them.

I tell them they can see homes on the Internet but they still want to look.

What do you recommend I do?
Ask to speek with the decision maker and then conduct your sales interview over the phone. If that goes well you can show the friends and family the homes you recommend. Follow up by asking for feedback and sending the decision maker photos and information on the homes you recommended. Without talking to the decision maker chances are good you're wasting your time. - by Houston
Without talking to the decision maker chances are good you're wasting your time.
I'll second that.

What could you gain by spending time with these 'friends' and what could you lose? ;bl - by AZBroker
Ask to speek with the decision maker and then conduct your sales interview over the phone. If that goes well you can show the friends and family the homes you recommend. Follow up by asking for feedback and sending the decision maker photos and information on the homes you recommended. Without talking to the decision maker chances are good you're wasting your time.
I can do that. Thank you. :thu

I'll second that.

What could you gain by spending time with these 'friends' and what could you lose? ;bl
I could get a sale if the friend likes and recommends the home. The most I could lose is the time I spent showing the home. Right? :bl - by Thomas
I say that, by being gracious and spending the time, you are building a relationship with someone who, at the worst, may do nothing for you. Fortunately, they may very well, if you leave a great impression on them, recommend you to the buyer they have in mind, and may go on further to recommend you to others as well. I don't think that any opportunity to build this sort of relationship is a bad one. In fact, it might be called "networking."

Case in point; back in the late 50's my father would ride his bicycle down to the local Chevrolet dealer to look at the cars. Most salesmen would ignore him, since it was quite obvious that he was too young. One salesman though took the time to speak with my father. Usually, in a joking manner, he would go over which new Chevrolet was the best one for him, and how it could be financed. A waste of time? No. As my father approached his high school graduation, he decided to go buy his first new car. Any guesses as to where he went? In fact, other than to look at one other brand, he never shopped around for that car, he simply went to the one man who had treated him well back when there was no way he could have purchased a car.

Wear the right hat!
Bill - by Bill_Kistner
When you work from the belief that your time is an asset and should be spent in front of qualified prospects decisions like this are easy to make. ;wi - by BossMan
When you work from the belief that your time is an asset and should be spent in front of qualified prospects decisions like this are easy to make. ;wi
Well written Boss Man - by Snowboy
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.