Home > Approach > Need advice - Selling to Franchisors

Need advice - Selling to Franchisors

We are really looking to open ourselves up to the franchise market - we have 3 under our belt now with pretty successful marketing/selling to these. We would like to make our services available to addition franchise operations.

My question is how and who would you approach with a target audience such as this. I did speak to one of the CEOs of one of our franchise clients and he said that he WOULD NOT be the one to contact - he doesn't read e-mail unless he's specifically looking for something from someone and he has "guards" that screen his phone calls for him.

We "happened" upon these clients by servicing some franchisees of these franchisors.

What we do is QuickBooks support and Merchant Services - we help out their new franchisees by giving them the QuickBooks Pro software for free with the merchant account...we also customize the software to fit their specific franchise needs as well as write SOP manuals and/or create a template data file for them...we have multiple services to fit these clients....how to I target this audience?

Thanks for any advice... - by brandonmorris
You want a list of franchisees to market to? Will lead companies sell a list like that? - by Thomas
You want a list of franchisees to market to? Will lead companies sell a list like that?
Not really looking for a list of them, I have run across a few different books that list up and coming franchises - my pain point is basically who to contact, if it's not the CEO, then who? Obviously it's a solicitation - but :) as with any "sales person" we have something we think that would be of value to them - how to we get them to listen to us? - by brandonmorris
Starting at the top doesn't sound bad. What's the worst that could happen? :hu - by Thomas
Are you talking about the CEO of the entire franchise? For example, the CEO of Starbuck's?
Does each individual franchise decide wht they're buying or does the corporation decide?
IMO, if it's the corporation, you need to come up with a marketing piece to send them, and then follow up with a phone call.

Susan - by susana
Are you talking about the CEO of the entire franchise? For example, the CEO of Starbuck's?
Does each individual franchise decide wht they're buying or does the corporation decide?
IMO, if it's the corporation, you need to come up with a marketing piece to send them, and then follow up with a phone call.

Susan
Yes, I'm talking about the CEO of the entire franchise...most franchise stores are individually owned and operated, but the franchise still interacts a lot with the stores b/c what they have bought with the franchise is an operating system or a way to do business. If I get corporate in on my products then I have an easier sell to the franchisees.

Marketing peice followed with a phone call...okie dokie - considering this is the only idea I've received so far, it's top on my list :) - by brandonmorris
Brandon is there any reason you would prospect different for a franchisor than you would other prospects? - by SpeedRacer
Brandon,

I sold to CEO's for years. If you want to pm me, I'd be happy to look over whatever letter/marketing piece you develop.

Susan - by susana
Brandon is there any reason you would prospect different for a franchisor than you would other prospects?
I have different services for a franchisor and reasons for doing business with me than any other prospect...sure the other prospects benefit from some of the same services I guess...but I guess my prospecting would be about the same. The only difference is a larger corporation, especially franchise operations it's harder to get to "the person" to make the sale. - by brandonmorris
Brandon,

I sold to CEO's for years. If you want to pm me, I'd be happy to look over whatever letter/marketing piece you develop.

Susan
Susan, I'll take you up on that once I get a firm marketing piece/letter developed and appreciate your offer. - by brandonmorris
Brandon,

Susan
Is prospecting methods for CEOs much different than other types of prospecting like cold calling or direct mail? - by Thomas
Is prospecting methods for CEOs much different than other types of prospecting like cold calling or direct mail?
I'd have to steer that question back to Susan - I'm trying to learn how market to them...I will say that the one CEO that we've sold to we got to him through a franchisee - the CEO told me that he's hard to reach, someone screens his phone calls and he doesn't look at e-mail unless he's looking for a specific e-mail from someone...so where do ya go? - by brandonmorris
Brandon,

CEO's have an admin who screens their calls, opens mail and filters email.
Usually the only way you get put through is if the CEO puts you on a list of people he's expecting to call.
For example, many times when I was returning a call to a CEO I had never spoken with, the admin would say, 'He's expecting your call'. I got to know several admins very well and actually asked them what the process was. If they don't know you and, you're not on a list, they'll take a message.
Hope that helps.

Susan - by susana
CEO's have an admin who screens their calls, opens mail and filters email.
What are better ways to reach these CEO Susan? - by Thomas
What are better ways to reach these CEO Susan?
Thomas,

It depends on a lot of factors:

What are you selling?

Is it something they'll have resistance to or something they'll want to hear about?

Do you have someone to use as a referral source?

Can you joint venture with someone who can write a letter on your behalf?

Can you invite them to an event where the product or service will be showcased.

I sold to Fortune 100 CEO's, so you can try different approaches with smaller companies.

Susan - by susana
If you seek out the admin of the CEO's, and treat them as if they are the CEO, about 30% of them will cooperate to get your message to the CEO.

The percentage of that group of CEOs who will meet with you is dependent on how well your products and services meets their needs - and how well you have communicated your message. - by JacquesWerth
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.