Home > Personal Selling > What are the sales steps you use?

What are the sales steps you use?

What steps do you use to sell? This is after you already have a client and an appointment set. - by Jorel
What steps do you use to sell? This is after you already have a client and an appointment set.
Once I'm at the home I start asking questions so I understand what is going on. When I'm done with that I explain how we do what we do and how it helps them get what they want. When I'm done with that if they haven't already asked me I ask them if they want me to be the one who markets their home for sale. What do you think? - by Thomas
Once I'm at the home I start asking questions so I understand what is going on. When I'm done with that I explain how we do what we do and how it helps them get what they want. When I'm done with that if they haven't already asked me I ask them if they want me to be the one who markets their home for sale. What do you think?

Establish RAPPORT first by discovering commonality with the client.:thup
- by job ready strategist
Establish RAPPORT first by discovering commonality with the client.:thup
How? I work with homeowners who want to sell their homes. How would I discover commonality? - by Thomas
How? I work with homeowners who want to sell their homes. How would I discover commonality?
HOW????? you need to read how to win friends and influence people? for starters, what are they wearing? (if the guy is wearing a usc shirt i would say what do you think of john david booty)
Ask open ended questions that can lead to other rapport info like... why are you selling your house?? Well my husband just got a promotion and we are looking to upgrade...... REALLY, congradulations where does he work...

I could go on and on... - by benjamin-benjamin
for starters, what are they wearing? (if the guy is wearing a usc shirt i would say what do you think of john david booty)
Michael said to establish rapport first by discovering commonality. If that is how you do it then it's not for me. That's like when they say look around the room and make small talk about what you see. ;thd

Ask open ended questions that can lead to other rapport info like... why are you selling your house?? Well my husband just got a promotion and we are looking to upgrade...... REALLY, congradulations where does he work...
I ask questions that are related to the discussion but that isn't first like Michael was talking about. - by Thomas
So if i am understanding you correctly making more money is not for you???? It is proven that it works. I don't enjoy talking to old people about how things aren't the way they used to be. I don't enjoy talking to some woman about her bratty kids. But i do enjoy being successful and making money. If someone came up to me and started talking sports because they noticed something about me i will be much more apt to continue to talk to them. The more someone talks the more they will leak out info about them that will help you close them.... - by benjamin-benjamin
So if i am understanding you correctly making more money is not for you???? It is proven that it works. I don't enjoy talking to old people about how things aren't the way they used to be. I don't enjoy talking to some woman about her bratty kids. But i do enjoy being successful and making money. If someone came up to me and started talking sports because they noticed something about me i will be much more apt to continue to talk to them. The more someone talks the more they will leak out info about them that will help you close them....
I can tell that we approach this differently. Everybody has their own style. The people I talk to don't like me because I talk about their fishing trophy or their children in the pictures. They can do that with every other salesperson they see. - by Thomas
I can tell that we approach this differently. Everybody has their own style. The people I talk to don't like me because I talk about their fishing trophy or their children in the pictures. They can do that with every other salesperson they see.
Every other salesperson doesn't do that otherwise i wouldn't be so successful. I work with 25 other salespeople and very few devolp rapport. I am just curious to why you feel the way you do. I feel the way i do because it has been proven by people that have made millions and been selling for decades (jeffery gitomer, harvay mackay, etc...) where do you base you approach from??? Also if you don't mind me asking how old are you? you don't have to answer that if you don't want to... - by benjamin-benjamin
Every other salesperson doesn't do that otherwise i wouldn't be so successful. I work with 25 other salespeople and very few devolp rapport. I am just curious to why you feel the way you do. I feel the way i do because it has been proven by people that have made millions and been selling for decades (jeffery gitomer, harvay mackay, etc...) where do you base you approach from??? Also if you don't mind me asking how old are you? you don't have to answer that if you don't want to...
Everybody has their own style. I have read before that salespeople should make small talk about trophies and pictures and stuff like that and maybe it was Gitomer or Mackay who said it but I still think they are wrong.

What are the other ways to develop rapport in the beginning other than that? - by Thomas
Everybody has their own style. I have read before that salespeople should make small talk about trophies and pictures and stuff like that and maybe it was Gitomer or Mackay who said it but I still think they are wrong.

What are the other ways to develop rapport in the beginning other than that?
The only other way i can think of is through questions that have to do with business but transfer into personal aspects. - by benjamin-benjamin
Actually Step 1 is set your intention. You can use affermations to make your intention stronger. The one with the strongest intention wins.

I was at a hotel last holiday season with some friends talking about old times and every day events these are friends that we have known each other for over 20 years. One of the girls says something about Alec Baldwin being on Celebrity fit club. I happened to see the episode (don't hold this against me) and knew that there was a Baldwin Brother but not Alec Balwin. We argued about it and even bet a bottle of Cristal on it. She continued on how she is positive it was Alec and even called her mother to have her look it up on the internet. At this point I was doubting myself because she had such a strong belief that it was Alec. If you would have asked anyone else at the table who was on the show based on the arguements presented they would all have said Alec, because my friend had a strong intent than I did. That night when I got home I checked and I found it was actually Billy Baldwin. For New Years eve I got a bottle of Cristal Champagne, but more importantly I learned a lesson. The one who has the strongest intent ussually wins.

Think about this next time before you go on a sales appointment.

Now that you know what Step 1 is, what do you think Step 2 is? - by Jorel
but didn't she have stronger intent then you, by calling her mom??? - by benjamin-benjamin
but didn't she have stronger intent then you, by calling her mom???
Yes that is my point. Even though I knew I was right, I was now starting to doubt myself. Even though I knew I was right everybody else believed what she was selling over me. She won the debate at the table that night.

Many times potential clients have objections to our presentations. If we have a strong intent going into the presentation then we will doubt our abilities less and our clients will be less likely to have objections. - by Jorel
not to be argumentive, but i don't think that story conveyed what you were trying to say. the person with the most intent was wrong and lost... - by benjamin-benjamin
not to be argumentive, but i don't think that story conveyed what you were trying to say. the person with the most intent was wrong and lost...

You're right the person with the most intent was wrong and lost. And most salespeople have encountered a prospect who has more intent than the salesperson. And even though we as salespeople may be right we will not win if we do not have more intent than prospect even if he is wrong.

BTW ... Thank You for your observation. My intent with that story was to make people think about the power of intent. And I may be wrong ... but I believe you have done just that. - by Jorel
You're right the person with the most intent was wrong and lost. And most salespeople have encountered a prospect who has more intent than the salesperson. And even though we as salespeople may be right we will not win if we do not have more intent than prospect even if he is wrong.

BTW ... Thank You for your observation. My intent with that story was to make people think about the power of intent. And I may be wrong ... but I believe you have done just that.

for the record i do agree with you about the power of intent... - by benjamin-benjamin
What was your friend's intent? - by Thomas
What was your friend's intent?
She had the same intent as just about every other person walking around with their head in the clouds, to be right.

The problem with that is you often don't learn a lot when you are right, people tend to learn more from their mistakes.

Now the second step as already posted would be rapport. This topic is covered in other posts so I won't delve into it.

But who can guess what the third step to the sale process is? - by Jorel
But who can guess what the third step to the sale process is?
When do you start the interview step? - by Thomas
When do you start the interview step?
That all depends, how do you define interview?

Do you define interview as when you first start talking to the person?

Do you define it as when you start asking the person questions?

Or did you have something else in mind? - by Jorel
That all depends, how do you define interview?

Do you define interview as when you first start talking to the person?

Do you define it as when you start asking the person questions?

Or did you have something else in mind?
I start the interview when I say, "Let's sit down and talk about it". Sometimes they just start spilling the beans and sometimes I have to start by asking questions. The time it takes from when they first walk in the door until they are sitting at the desk talking with me is less than 2 minutes.That doesn't leave much time for your rapport step. - by Thomas
I start the interview when I say, "Let's sit down and talk about it". Sometimes they just start spilling the beans and sometimes I have to start by asking questions. The time it takes from when they first walk in the door until they are sitting at the desk talking with me is less than 2 minutes.That doesn't leave much time for your rapport step.

Thomas, have you read the book Blink by Malcom Gladwell?

If not it says people make a judgement of you within the first two seconds of meeting you so not having much time for my rapport step I just can not agree with (although I can understand how others who develop rapport slowly could fall prey to not having enough time to develop rapport). Especially since the first step is to assume rapport, before I even meet with my clients. Also I believe rapport can be built during what you call the interview process.

You may be asking how do I develop rapport that quickly, the answer lies in another book called Instant Rapport by Michael Brooks.

Now for me the third step for me is to tell a story. My story continues to develop rapport and lets them see things through my eyes while giving them an analogy to my way of thinking.

Dale Carnegie Uses stories through out his book how to win friends and influence people to support his theories. - by Jorel
Thomas, have you read the book Blink by Malcom Gladwell?
No I haven't read that one.
If not it says people make a judgement of you within the first two seconds of meeting you so not having much time for my rapport step I just can not agree with...
I believe people size you up quick I just didn't know that is what you meant by building rapport. I thought building rapport was something that you did that rapport was a step.

Now for me the third step for me is to tell a story. My story continues to develop rapport and lets them see things through my eyes while giving them an analogy to my way of thinking.
If the third step is you telling a story when do you find out if and what the people will buy? - by Thomas
my two cents - call rapport a step or not but, if your would be client doesn't like you their not going to buy from you.

Building rapport is merely estabishing common interest...sometimes I have clients in which don't want anything like this - that makes it super simple...make the pitch and close the sale. The majority of my clients could buy from 1000s of different people but they come to me or stay with me because I am personable and likable and because I have taken an interest in them and/or their kids or dogs or where they went to school.

Although I may not really care about the extra things, but I do make notes about these things - now, when I go back to them I can "recall" what we had talked about and what was important to them at the time.

IMHO - rapport makes or breaks a sale and building it is imperative unless the client comes in with a "let's get down to business" attitude. - by brandonmorris
If the third step is you telling a story when do you find out if and what the people will buy?
I am only on step three and I feel you have forgotten or skipped step one. Am I wrong? Step 1: What is your intention?

Is it to find out when and if the people will buy?

Or is it to make a sale? Assume the sale! No 100% of my clients do not buy (I can not be any more honest than that). But I assume when I start that everyone of them will. It has raised my closing percentage from when I had doubts if they would buy or not. I believe you wanta higher closing percentages don't you? - by Jorel
I am only on step three and I feel you have forgotten or skipped step one. Am I wrong? Step 1: What is your intention?

Is it to find out when and if the people will buy?

Or is it to make a sale? Assume the sale! No 100% of my clients do not buy (I can not be any more honest than that). But I assume when I start that everyone of them will. It has raised my closing percentage from when I had doubts if they would buy or not. I believe you wanta higher closing percentages don't you?
With the best intention (step 1) and rapport (step 2) you still have to discover what and if the prospect will buy. Where is your discovery step? It looks like you skipped it and went right into a presentation. - by Thomas
my two cents - call rapport a step or not but, if your would be client doesn't like you their not going to buy from you.
I did not like the salesman I bought my boat from. He was not someone I could trust. He was not someone I who called me back when he said he would. He was not someone who completed the order the way it was written in the contract. However because I did not like him and because I felt like he did not have my best interest in mind I did not mind using tactics to get the lowest price for my boat as I could. And the price is the only reason I bought the boat where I did. So I can not agree with your statement that if a client likes you their not going to buy from you.

Building rapport is merely estabishing common interest...sometimes I have clients in which don't want anything like this - that makes it super simple...make the pitch and close the sale. The majority of my clients could buy from 1000s of different people but they come to me or stay with me because I am personable and likable and because I have taken an interest in them and/or their kids or dogs or where they went to school.
This is old school building rapport and I am happy to hear it works for you. If someone tries to do this to mean it screams sales person and I am totally turned off. I will then treat the salesperson like they are acting.

Although I may not really care about the extra things, but I do make notes about these things - now, when I go back to them I can "recall" what we had talked about and what was important to them at the time.
This really bothers me why do you bother to ask about their kids, dogs and school they went to if you don't actually care? To get the sale? Well if that works for you and you can sleep at night being manipulative like that, then it is no wonder so many people do not like sales people.

IMHO - rapport makes or breaks a sale and building it is imperative unless the client comes in with a "let's get down to business" attitude.
Again I point to my first example of my boat buying experience. I probably would have bought faster and not have negotiated so hard on the price had this sales person taken the time to treat a customer the way a customer wants to be treated. - by Jorel
With the best intention (step 1) and rapport (step 2) you still have to discover what and if the prospect will buy. Where is your discovery step? It looks like you skipped it and went right into a presentation.

Oh I have not even started my presentation yet.

Actually step 4 is give an overview of what I will be covering.

Example: Since you are considering ______ let's go over the three biggest factors That will create the biggest amount of _________ (their criteria) for you. A lot of _____ (your competitors job title) will tell you one or even two of these, but I want you to have it all. This way your decision to work together will be comfortable and obvious.

But to be a bit more direct about your discover step. As that seems that is what you are focused on. I do this at the very end, with a statement of "Is there anything else you need to hear to get started." Why would I waste any further time with them if I knew they where not interested? - by Jorel
But to be a bit more direct about your discover step. As that seems that is what you are focused on. I do this at the very end, with a statement of "Is there anything else you need to hear to get started." Why would I waste any further time with them if I knew they where not interested?
Okay so discovery is step 5 for you? - by Thomas
Okay so discovery is step 5 for you?
No, reread my last post. - by Jorel
But to be a bit more direct about your discover step. As that seems that is what you are focused on. I do this at the very end, with a statement of "Is there anything else you need to hear to get started." Why would I waste any further time with them if I knew they where not interested?
You do this at the very end of giving an overview of what you'll be covering? - by Thomas
No, I apologize for not being clearer. I do this at the very end of the presentation right before I walk out the door with a signed contract. - by Jorel
No, I apologize for not being clearer. I do this at the very end of the presentation right before I walk out the door with a signed contract.
I think I must be the one who isn't being clear. BEFORE I show homes I ask the prospect questions like what budget do you want to stay in and tell me about the home you're wanting and AFTER I know that I show them homes based on their answers. The discovery step comes before the presentation step. It's probably different in your business. - by Thomas
I think I must be the one who isn't being clear. BEFORE I show homes I ask the prospect questions like what budget do you want to stay in and tell me about the home you're wanting and AFTER I know that I show them homes based on their answers. The discovery step comes before the presentation step. It's probably different in your business.
Actually the way you do it probabley works well for you. I wonder if you where to first tell them a story about how you have helped others find homes and maybe even a few things you have learned. That may be why you now suggest your clients get prequalified with financing that way when you find the home of their dreams their offer will look strong as it is prequalified not just preapproved. This will also let you know that they are serious and that they have access to the funds to purchase the homes that you are showing them.

Every time I meet a new couple I get excited about showing them homes, because I know that I will be helping them fulfill one of their dreams. And I believe dreams are important to have. And because of that I am going to do everything I can to help you with your dream because I know first hand how it feels to have my dreams crushed. You see back when I bought my first home the Realtor showed me and my wife some wonderful homes. My wife feel in love with this one cottgage over on Malberry Lane. We put a bid on it and it was accepted that same day, we where so exicted. We went out to dinner to celebrate, we told the waiter and he even gave us a complimentry bottle of wine with dinner, my wife could not drink because she was pregnant, but the next day my wife started looking at how she was going to decorate the nursery and some of the new furniture for the house we would soon be calling our home. The process was going fine untill I learned I had been a victim of idenity theft and my credit was ruined. I could not find a bank to loan me the money and my wife was in tears when I told her we could not get our first home.
I don't want my customers going through that same painful experience that my family went through so I always suggest they talk to their bank or a mortgage broker to make sure you can get the financing to purchase your dream home when I find it for you. If you like I can recomend one I work with who I have worked with before who I know is excellent in helping people just like you. - by Jorel
Jorel if you were in my shoes selling homes how would you know which homes to show if you didn't go through the discovery step? - by Thomas
I did not like the salesman I bought my boat from. He was not someone I could trust. He was not someone I who called me back when he said he would. He was not someone who completed the order the way it was written in the contract. However because I did not like him and because I felt like he did not have my best interest in mind I did not mind using tactics to get the lowest price for my boat as I could. And the price is the only reason I bought the boat where I did. So I can not agree with your statement that if a client likes you their not going to buy from you.
Perhaps you are the exception to the rule...there's an exception to every rule, maybe I am, who knows? I would ask for a new salesman...I'm still going to haggle on price to a point...just because I know how the game works...

This is old school building rapport and I am happy to hear it works for you. If someone tries to do this to mean it screams sales person and I am totally turned off. I will then treat the salesperson like they are acting.
Please! Old school? A sales person is weather you're trying to build rapport or not, just that, a sales person.

This really bothers me why do you bother to ask about their kids, dogs and school they went to if you don't actually care? To get the sale? Well if that works for you and you can sleep at night being manipulative like that, then it is no wonder so many people do not like sales people.
Now, perhaps I didn't express myself quite right...obviously I'm going to ask about something that I AM interested in....I would never, ever lie to get the sale....I am a people person, I like learning about people in addition to learning about people and increasing my network of friends and influence - I like helping people, if I can help them and make a sale, even better.

It doesn't appear that my statements before would bother you at all, as you state that it does, as it doesn't appear that people mean much to you at all - you're in it for the sale and if wasn't for the people in the way you wouldn't even talk to them.

Again I point to my first example of my boat buying experience. I probably would have bought faster and not have negotiated so hard on the price had this sales person taken the time to treat a customer the way a customer wants to be treated.
Your boat buying is an example, one example. Perhaps, I say this and I've never spoken with you before...so it's merely a guess...perhaps, you were the one with the bad attitude when he approached you or when you approached him, whichever the case may be.

All this being said - I'm here to learn something and to exchange information. I'm not here to offend anyone or make enemies, please do not misunderstand anything I have posted, I am in no way trying to offend anyone. - by brandonmorris
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.