Home > Cold Calling > What are your techniques and tip that work!

What are your techniques and tip that work!

I am new to this site and have to say what a fantastic, helpful and informative site it is. I have been reading many of your replies and find your replies very useful and easy to understand.
I would like to ask for your assistance.
I recently have been hired to make cold call colds for a 6 month period for a Telecommunication company. We provide internet,land line, sattellite, mobile and pay tV solutions to small/medium size businesses. Our service provider is the second largest company in Australia which allows me to use their name in confidence however I feel the script we are using seems to generate NO replys too many times and certainly I stumble on my words when I read it. I have rasied the concern and now have incorparated my own style of script which is getting a better result but I still get some objections.Upon reading the script section i have learnt from others how to overcome some of the objections but would like to know what your opinion is on an effective cold call script. Please keep in mind the company I work for are like a sub contractor to the comapany that is providing the telco solutions so many times when i make calls I dont even know if they are existing customers and if they are, then we are also competing against other sub contracts for new business.
I hope I have made sense and thankyou in advance.....

"I try to be the best I can";sm - by I make appointments
First what are you thinking about when you make the calls? Are you thinking I can help this person or are you thinking this script sucks and they are going to have objections? Which one do you think will yield better results?

Second try and match the rate at which they speak and their tonality. Remember a time when you where talking to someone and they talked really slow, how annoying that was, or when you where talking to someone else, maybe someone with an accent and they talked fast and it was hard to understand. Well if you do the opposite of what may annoy you or confuse you, you stand a better chance at communicating with your customers.

Third what are you doing while you are calling? Are you sitting a computer hunched over? Or are you standing tall with eager to help the next customer. Try this sit down and say "I'm excited" Now stand up and think of something that got you really exicted and then say "I'm excited" I can not hear you but I bet there was a difference. If not you had to make a concious effort not to make a difference. This comes through over the phone and people pick this up.

Finally, what is the script you are using? How much time do they watch cable? When they watch cable what do they watch? Is there anything funny in your script? People love to laugh and hear good stories. - by Jorel
I feel the script we are using seems to generate NO replys too many times and certainly I stumble on my words when I read it. I have rasied the concern and now have incorparated my own style of script which is getting a better result but I still get some objections.
How many "no" replies is not too many and what is that based on? Do you feel your stumbling with the script is part of the reason for the results you're seeing? How did your employer feel about you chaning their script? - by AZBroker
Sorry i havent replied sooner,

The employer didnt mind me changing the script which was good because it has produced better results, however you still have a challenge trying to get though the operator and secretaries of the companies. So many of them feel they can make the decision and SAY NO....or just hang up on you..lol

The operators have learnt to screen the calls and many companies will not accept marketing calls, so For those companies I thought I might start sending out emails instead.

You never know I might get a response. What do you think? - by I make appointments
, however you still have a challenge trying to get though the operator and secretaries of the companies. So many of them feel they can make the decision and SAY NO....or just hang up on you..lol

The operators have learnt to screen the calls and many companies will not accept marketing calls, so For those companies I thought I might start sending out emails instead.

You never know I might get a response. What do you think?
First up, my advice is to treat the secretaries and operators as part of the sales process. Develop an approach that gets them on your side. You'll find that these people have more of a handle on what is going on in a business than the decision makers and after all they may have an influence, on what telco to use as they are the users of the services.

My best approach is to say to the secretary/ pa or whoever "Hi this is **** calling from **** telecommunications and I need your help" 8/10 this gets me to where I want to go. - by Julian
Julian,

Great Idea. I tried it and yes your right it makes a difference.

Although the next time a secretary hangs up on me I am going to SCRRRREAAAMMMM...

LoL....Love my job!!!sn; - by I make appointments
My best approach is to say to the secretary/ pa or whoever "Hi this is **** calling from **** telecommunications and I need your help" 8/10 this gets me to where I want to go.
Fantastic. I do the same.. or very similar. Act like you have been there before and they are more receptive.thmbp2; - by C R Heller
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.