Home > Personal Selling > How would you describe Selling?

How would you describe Selling?

Is selling getting people so excited about a product that they push aside any concerns they might have about the purchase and buy anyway?

Is selling helping people make buying decisions even if that decision is to not buy your product?

What is selling to you? - by Slick
What is selling to you?
Sales involves selling and prospecting. Selling is helping prospects make purchase decisions like what do I need, when would I need it, and how well would it fit with our current culture? - by Mikey
When I think of selling I think of salespeople finding prospects who are ready, willing, and able to buy and then meeting with these prospects and putting a deal together. - by Houston
Selling, not prospecting, is helping buyers decide how to make a buying decision, helping buyers design a solution, and when possible supplying the solution the buyer defined. - Thank you Sharon Drew Morgen. - by Sensei
Its helping people to buy. No one ever bought something that they didnt want to buy. - by Julian
There are many aspects to selling in terms of measuring it.

For example let's say you sold 10 cell phones during the week. Sounds good until you consider returns. So from an accountant's perspective, you may have to set up a reserve of 10% to allow for returns to get a true picture as to how you're doing.

Then there's vertical selling (how much does each customer buy) and horizontal selling (how many customers are buying). Two-step selling (leads and sales) and so forth.

These are just few of the many considerations. Good luck to you if you can actually define it. - by Wonderboy
Ideally, Selling is one-to-one communications resulting in booking the maximum possible sales volume in a given time period.

If you stay focused on that definition, you might come close to achieving those results. - by JacquesWerth
Those are fine answers everyone. Thank you for passing those along. thmbp2; - by Slick
Its helping people to buy. No one ever bought something that they didnt want to buy.
yes people have. I meet people everyday that bought something they didn't want and got bullied into it.. - by benjamin-benjamin
yes people have. I meet people everyday that bought something they didn't want and got bullied into it..
Bullying is not selling. If I hold a gun to your head and tell you to buy my product will that be sales? Perhaps where you come from but not from my perspective. I can safely say that everyone who has bought from me wanted to and was pleased. Sales has no place for bullies. - by Julian
"Bullying is not selling. If I hold a gun to your head and tell you to buy my product will that be sales? Perhaps where you come from but not from my perspective. I can safely say that everyone who has bought from me wanted to and was pleased. Sales has no place for bullies."

Whoaaaa chill out. 1st of all i never said that is the way i sell. 2nd I never said anything about people not being pleased with what they bought.
3rd your exact words are (cut and paste)
"No one ever bought something that they didnt want to buy."

I just said I disagree with that statement. People all the time buy something they didn't want to. Sorry i didn't realize you are so sensitive.. - by benjamin-benjamin
I too have seen people buy things they didn't really want. Time shares would be an example. The sales pressure with time shares is recognized by many States who have established a three-day right of rescission as a safeguard. - by Mustang
Not sensitive at all! Just clarifying. If someone bought something they didn't want because they were bullied then that isnt sales. Is it? - by Julian
Its helping people to buy. No one ever bought something that they didnt want to buy.
Yes i do think that there are lots of people that consider that sales. Using the example above if someone bullied people into timeshares and then went to interview for another job, they are going to look at his "sales". Which all would qualify.

As far as debating what sales is or not, i was not debating that. Your quote (as seen above) says No one ever bought something that they didnt want to buy. that is simply not true... - by benjamin-benjamin
Whatever. Its up to you. - by Julian
I see both sides. Generally speaking most people don't go around buying things they don't want unless of course they are somehow coerced into it which is the exception not the rule. - by Houston
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.