Home > Management > Question about hiring sales team.

Question about hiring sales team.

I'm about to hire a sales team. How would I make it fair to each person to make their territory "unlimited", without them tripping over themselves to get the same client?

If I tell them you take north and you take south, is that fair, if north has more higher income clientele than south? How the heck do you work that out?

David DeCantillon - by ddpromo1
I'm about to hire a sales team. How would I make it fair to each person to make their territory "unlimited", without them tripping over themselves to get the same client?

If I tell them you take north and you take south, is that fair, if north has more higher income clientele than south? How the heck do you work that out?
Here's an idea:
  1. Identify - all potential prospects within the territory.
  2. Sort - potential prospects into categories. (ie; product lines, customer segments, etc.)
  3. Assign - based on categories while keeping workloads balanced and travel time and costs minimized.
- by Gilbert
I was once told by a sales manager, "If you're looking for "fair" I think it's held sometime during the fall. :rolleyes:

IMO, territory management has more to do with profitablility than being perceived as "fair."

I like Gilbert's idea about breaking up the territory assignments by category. One advantage I can see to this is employee motivation. Who wouldn't want to work their way up to the top tier? - by Jackie
I was once told by a sales manager, "If you're looking for "fair" I think it's held sometime during the fall. :rolleyes:
Jackie, I've noticed you always tell it like it is! :cool: - by RainMaker
Jackie, I've noticed you always tell it like it is! :cool:
She's the "Big Fish" in the pond. She can do that! :p - by Jolly Roger
Yes, I can SEE that! It's fun to watch the avatars emerge. - by RainMaker
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.