Home > Approach > Selling and Mindsets

Selling and Mindsets

When you engage in a selling encounter do you find that you usually already have an idea in your head of how things are going to play out? - by Houston
When you engage in a selling encounter do you find that you usually already have an idea in your head of how things are going to play out?
For sure. I think everybody does it. Some people might not realize they are doing it and some people use it to their advantage by controlling their thoughts. - by Marcus
For sure. I think everybody does it. Some people might not realize they are doing it...
I'm of the opinion that this is a MAJOR cause of success or failure and yet so few know and do something about it. :sa - by Houston
When you engage in a selling encounter do you find that you usually already have an idea in your head of how things are going to play out?
Houston, you are exactly right.

There are many things that go through the minds of salespeople when approaching a sales situation. However, there is an emotional factor, which Dr. Wayne Diamond describes as “Belief in Your Believability,” that may be the main factor determining a salesperson’s level of success.

One symptom that he says is very prominent in a large number of struggling salespeople is their belief that they have to work extra hard to get people to believe them.

Dr. Diamond, is a prominent Philadelphia psychotherapist who has treated a large number of salespeople and entrepreneurs. He is currently conducting a series of interactive teleconferences, for small groups of salespeople, titled Overcoming Skepticism and Distrust.” - by JacquesWerth
Your mindset determines the outcome ahead of time. Be positive, think positively. Your prospect can read your INTENTION like a book. They pick up your vibration of thought and ususally act accordingly.
THINK the sale is done ahead of time. Follow your sales process. Spend commission!

All the best,

Salespro - by salespro
Your mindset determines the outcome ahead of time. Be positive, think positively. Your prospect can read your INTENTION like a book. They pick up your vibration of thought and ususally act accordingly.
I agree Salespro. When I hear "Assume the Sale" that is what comes to mind. - by Houston
I dont htink this is a major revelation to anyone who has done any reading on "success" etc,

I KNOW ahead of time that my negative mindset is predestining me to fail and not make sales and not draw people to myself.

a monkey could tell that much.

the problem is how to fix it, lol. When u have sort of been on the bottom and are accustomed to seeing others prosper while u languish, how do you then find a way to turn that around?

this is the exact situation I see myself in right now. As a trainer id put my knowledge and expertise up against ANYONE in my gym. Yet they have plenty clients and I have 2. Its all mindset..they see themselves as winners and I see myself as soemthing less.

like I said, a monkey could tell me that.....how in the hell does one turn it around?

public perception is always drawn to the flashy types even if there is no substance there....so one is just screwed if they are not a loudmouth flashy type? - by Fitness Trainer
...public perception is always drawn to the flashy types even if there is no substance there....so one is just screwed if they are not a loudmouth flashy type?
How well is that belief serving you? What led you to choose that belief instead of something else? - by Mikey
thats just what I see more of.

Like for whatever reason I was brought up with that low self esteem and either 'taught' or learned to not make a lot of noise...not try to draw attention myself. Ok, fine. Kids should be seen and not heard etc.

But that doesnt seem to work so well in life.

for instance one of the top trainers in our gym....he's mr flash, mr hollering at the pretty girls across the gym so everyone can see it. he has more clients than he can handle even though he doesnt really have much technical knowledge.

Another guy was a trainer there and he now split off and has his own personal training gym and he recently expanded. This guy was out of shape himself and hardly ever worked out. Youd THINK that when he did that 1x per month workout he'd just keep it low key...NOPE!! him and his buddy would count each rep out LOUD on each exercise. it was just a total blatant screaming of 'look at me! look at me". But damnit, it seems to work. dude has his own gym and I have 2 clients, lol

2 be fair I do see examples on the other side of things. the guy makign the most money trains old peeps and he himself is pretty low key. he aint in great shape either although he uses pics from 10 years ago when he was in good shape in his ads, lol. We talked one day and he told me I looked at it all too competitively and that he didnt even try to get clients from inside the gym. He put flyers up in like chiro offices etc then next thing u know the chiropractor himself wanted training etc. he wrote a book. http://www.amazon.com/How-I-Lost-100-Pounds/dp/142411361X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195429009&sr=8-1

he writes articles for mags etc. He advertises heavily in a local classified ad paper. (no way i can afford it....I did one week at $54 and got not even 1 call. I simply cant burn money like that..I dont have it currently)

He has been at it for like 10 years though. He has a big rented space on the gym wall with a big tarp thing with his cheesy website on it. http://www.trainwithdave.com

So he is showing another model with more of a long term approach. I suppose that would be more of a model for me since im NOT a fast/smooth talking salesman type. but DAMN, I need clients now, not in 6 months or a year with tons spent up front, lol

My hat is off to the guy because he is finding a way to make it work. He gets $50/session while basically the rest of us get around $20. Me, I cant even get people to bite on $20 sessions. THATS freaking sad, lol.

The "loud" types dont even have biz cards, they dont put up any flyers. Youd never know they existed except for word of mouth and the gym owner pushes them, period. - by Fitness Trainer
It looks like the beliefs you're operating from are not serving you well. What would you need to know to be willing to make a change? - by Mikey
I dont think its knowledge per se. for instance I have listed to the secret and science of getting rich etc. So i FULLY see that it is negative thinking that has held me back and continues to do so. So I have that KNOWLEDGE. Its crystal clear and I am trying to be more positive....but its slow going.

knowing and changing r 2 different things

its weird. Its like on the one hand I feel "better" than some of the other trainers because I have more technical knowledge because I love to study etc. On the other hand I deep down KNOW that they will outsell me everytime because they have more people skills, more confidence and thus they are simply way more popular. They drive cool cars etc..the whole shebang.

Its sort of that deep down belieef that ill not "measure up" even if I am BETTER in some ways...that holds me back.

like, I might truly believe that I am a great guy with good solid values etc...but I dont believe anyone else in these modern times will bother to notice..they are too busy going out with some flashy dude. Its sort of the same with training.

Those feelings been there a LONG Azz time, lol. Like I remember in kindergarten thinking th eother kids were better because they lived in brick houses and I didnt. So...its a long term issue, lol.

a total mindset thing.

I have a great example of how it affects me (paranoia) even if it doesnt reflect reality, if anyone wants to hear it. - by Fitness Trainer
a total mindset thing.
What do you want to do about that? - by Mikey
What do you want to do about that?

lol

obviously I am working to change it...but its not easy. supposedly, according to SOGR etc, one needs to get out of competitive thinking...but THATS a hard habit to break.

for instance the minute I set foot into the gym I see other trainers picking up clients while im not. THAT doesnt really do much for my mindset even if I felt great for the whole first part of the day

for whatever reason..when I see others getting further ahead, it just seems to hold me back that much more. I dont see how anyone can be happy and positive when it is obvious to the whole world that they are losing, lol

feels totally like life is passing me by - by Fitness Trainer
...feels totally like life is passing me by
I understand the feeling. You're not alone. What are you willing to do about it? - by Mikey
I understand the feeling. You're not alone. What are you willing to do about it?
lol...dude...u keep asking me questions. If I had the answers id have succeeded by now.

uhmm, any suggestions? what SHOULD I do about it?

this is the scary thought..a quote from SOGR.

"Remember, if you are to become rich in a scientific and certain way, you must rise entirely out of the competitive thought. You must never think for a moment that the supply is limited. Just as soon as you begin to think that all the money is being "cornered" and controlled by bankers and others, and that you must exert yourself to get laws passed to stop this process, and so on; in that moment you drop into the competitive mind, and your power to cause creation is gone for the time being; and what is worse, you will probably arrest the creative movements you have already instituted. "

thats me all day, lol. totally competitive. Pisses me off to see others get what I cant seem to get. ZTo see others with seemingly LESS talent do more with that lesser talent.But I dont have a clue how to change something that deeply ingrained into me - by Fitness Trainer
lol...dude...u keep asking me questions. If I had the answers id have succeeded by now.

Yes, I suggest you answer for yourself the questions of what it is that you want specifically and what you're willing to do to achieve that outcome. This is important. - by Mikey
Yes, I suggest you answer for yourself the questions of what it is that you want specifically and what you're willing to do to achieve that outcome. This is important.
Well obviously I want to be a friendly outgoing person with a lot of self confidence and I would also like to reach beyond what the average person settles for in life. (being a clock punching slave) We ALL settle for so much less than our potential.

And I would like the benefits that should acrue to a person who is an expert in their field.

Willing to do? that ssort of hard to say since one doesnt even KNOW what it takes. If I knew, id be doing it.

Instead it all seems like 15 catch 22's tied into a gordian knot.

like, I need to get my PT certfication. But that costs money, maybe $500 counting study materials. But I dont have $500, lol. I dont even feel lik eprintign biz cards or promoting a website or contacting the newspaper offering articles etc since im not certified. So that is really holding me back right now. Also I need that confidence builder of saying im certified while most of the other trainers arent.

I got behind on bills last year while trying in vain to make a go of full time training. So I have taken basically a dead end job just to stay afloat.

The job is from 530am to about 230pm with a 30minute drive each way. Boom, there goes 90% of my energy and most of my time. So i can only basically be in the gym from like 5-9pm.

Yet I need the job to stay afloat.

So in a way im "stuck" and am only making tiny creeping steps forward.

Meanwhile for instance I have to watch others like this guy who got out of jail in February after serving 10 years. Dude comes to our area, marries the gym owners daughter, lol. Now he is a trainer with a bookfull of clients and the full backing of the gym.

I mean, seeing THAT doesnt really help me mental state. Why have I paid my dues for the past year in this gym if this guy can come in and get more or less promoted ahead of me inspite of his dubious background.

I am willing to do what is in MY power to do....but I am not sure what good that will do since it seems in this life we are always at someone elses mercy. (gym owner) Like I am strugglign to stay afloat while this other guy gets a life handed to him straight out of jail? wtf? lol

I realize that if I had my stuff really together that it wouldnt really matter what others did or didnt do. but the fact is obviously I dont have it all together. therefore I let stuff others do really bother me.

But my understanding of 'self IMPROVEMENT' is that there must be room TO improve. I seem to have that in spades so it would seem I should be able to make some large growth spurts - by Fitness Trainer
It looks like you understand that going into a situation with a predetermined idea of how things are go to play out can be a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ taking you closer or farther from your desired outcome.

One more thing, obstacles are what you see when you lose sight of your goal {desired outcome}.
I hope you can find something of value from my posts. sn; - by Mikey
Well its earrrly monday morning and I am starting out the week in a good mood. My thought for the week is "there is plenty to go around" lol - by Fitness Trainer
When you don't have confidence in the sales process you are using or your skill level in its application, that can look like an attitude problem. - by JacquesWerth
please explain more fully - by Fitness Trainer
How about focusing on what you need to be doing instead of focusing on what others are doing? - by Bulldog
I want to offer my sincerest apologies to the forum and to people that I have offended and made remarks about. I am a very passionate and intense person and I have let my frustrations get the best of me.

The remarks I have made about others were not even really meant in a personal way...its just internal frustrations coming to the surface. I am working hard to overcome petty jealousies and insecurites but its very hard to change long established habits.

I have apologized personally to people I commented about and I hope in the future I will be a better person and not let my thoughts and mouth run away with me. I hope I have not caused hurt to anyone and I hope my spiteful comments will not cause grudges to be held. The problem isnt any of YOU...the problem is all ME and I realize that.

I wish everyone much success and happiness in their lives. There is plenty to go around.

Sincerely, Randy Williams - by Fitness Trainer
Best of luck with everything Randy. Your recent post reflects an attitude of prosperity {vs. an attitude of scarcity} and that is HUGE. thmbp2; - by Calvin
I'm not sure if this thread isn't entirely 'off-the-rails' but I've something to add. There are two perspectives to mindsets:
1. having a "pre-conceived notion" about what's going to transpire during the call; and/or,
2. being sufficiently confident in yourself to keep an open mind throughout;

When I work with a SR who goes into the call with a "pre-conceived notion", I'm generally not wrong on how the call is going to proceed. For example, SRs can get headstrong on a certain offering/promotional pricing (whatever) and, as a consequence, nothing which the prospect says is absorbed ... unless it relates to this offering! Put differently: everything the prospect says gets twisted into the offering! In this environment, success can ONLY happen if you've fluked into a call on the day a decsion was being made ...

The human brain has only so much RAM (random access memory) and, if the SR goes into the call with a mind clouded by a specific outcome, the ears tend NOT to work so well.

It's my sense that, where sales people are held in poor esteem, this might well be at the root of the problem. When we don't listen or "can't hear", we're missing the opportunity to have our prospects tell us what they truly need ...

Good luck & Good selling!
Pat - by OUTSource Sales
"When I work with a SR who goes into the call with a "pre-conceived notion", I'm generally not wrong on how the call is going to proceed. For example, SRs can get headstrong on a certain offering/promotional pricing (whatever) and, as a consequence, nothing which the prospect says is absorbed ... unless it relates to this offering! Put differently: everything the prospect says gets twisted into the offering! In this environment, success can ONLY happen if you've fluked into a call on the day a decsion was being made ...

The human brain has only so much RAM (random access memory) and, if the SR goes into the call with a mind clouded by a specific outcome, the ears tend NOT to work so well." - Pat

I like that RAM analogy - that's a good one, Pat. Training - teaching people to listen with clarity void of an underlying RAM agenda is ultimately one of the most important skills to lead companies and individuals and teams to greater confidence and success.

MitchM - by MitchM
In an effort to help me deal with a serious brush with cancer, in the fall of 1990, I had a pyschiatrist tell me that "...you only have so much RAM to deal with all this stuff ...". (So it's not my line.)

But it is a superb analogy which, in this instance, relates to "the amount of room upstairs" to deal with all of the topics under consideration. The better salespeople learn to approach the call with no pre-conceived notions (ie. a clear head) in order to listen to what transpires during the call.

Pat - by OUTSource Sales
"Overload" is something we have to deal with - another RAM situation, Pat. Your analogy from your brush with cancer is so personalized but I can see it personalized that way for people in many ways.

For us - my wife and I - it's a good analogy because our business is one easily over loaded on: it's health related and often health issue related which can have many dynamics to it - AND it's also business related as you know: recruiting, training, prospecting, marketing, retailing, sometimes advertising - cold calling, follow-up -- all of that -- distributors can overload.

Our personal challenge has been learning how these things can over load someone's RAM - we've been able to compartmentalize these things and order and control them for them most part even during the "learning curve" time BUT realizing not everyone can do that as we could took time for us to understand THEN learning how to pace people and help people acquire these skills took time for us to learn.

That's really why people are successful in the business we're in - it's much more than a sale - it's learning how to teach.

SOOOOOOOO I'm using your RAM analogy too, Pat. It fits.

MitchM - by MitchM
I'm not sure if this thread isn't entirely 'off-the-rails' but I've something to add. There are two perspectives to mindsets:
1. having a "pre-conceived notion" about what's going to transpire during the call; and/or,
2. being sufficiently confident in yourself to keep an open mind throughout;

When I work with a SR who goes into the call with a "pre-conceived notion", I'm generally not wrong on how the call is going to proceed. For example, SRs can get headstrong on a certain offering/promotional pricing (whatever) and, as a consequence, nothing which the prospect says is absorbed ... unless it relates to this offering! Put differently: everything the prospect says gets twisted into the offering! In this environment, success can ONLY happen if you've fluked into a call on the day a decsion was being made ...

The human brain has only so much RAM (random access memory) and, if the SR goes into the call with a mind clouded by a specific outcome, the ears tend NOT to work so well.

It's my sense that, where sales people are held in poor esteem, this might well be at the root of the problem. When we don't listen or "can't hear", we're missing the opportunity to have our prospects tell us what they truly need ...

Pat
Here! Here! Awesome post.

Also, to Fitness Trainer, what kinda shape you in anyway?

I figure in your business, YOU'RE the billboard, right?

And $57 for one weeks worth of local exposure sounds pretty reasonable, btw.

But my real question is, what are you doing to differentiate yourself from those guys? You need an angle! You know, go after the other side of the market. Not everyone likes a loudmouth Type A to train them. Heck, where a TankTop that says something like, "No Small Talk, Just Big Results!" haha whatever- you get my point!

Oh, and eeeeeeasy on the "LOL's", please. ;wi - by klozer
Fitness Trainer,

I think one of yoru problems is that perhaps you are focusing too much on global problems. You are trying to solve ALL your problems at once.

I'm going through a rough time in my business right now. I'm coming out of my slow time of the year and while business is picking up, making orders is difficult right now, yet if I don't make orders, let alone buy inventory, I'm out of business. If I focused on all of the problems I'd freak, shut down, do nothing and be out of business in a week.

So, I focus on small things and solve the small problems one at a time. Make TODAY'S order. Then worry about tomorrow's. If there's a little extra money, order inventory.

If you solve the small problems, the big ones will take care of themselves.

You need $500? Open a checking account with $100. Then put $20 or $30 a day in that account. In a couple of weeks you will have the $500 to get certified.

After that, continue to put $20 or $30 a day in that account. Use that money for advertising or business cards.

Solve the little problems and before you know it the big ones will solve themselves.

Pat - by toolguy_35
A favorite Henry Ford quote comes to mind as I leave the door each morning and every time I walk up to a new business.

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are RIGHT."
--Henry Ford - by jamieimus
Positive Mindset....Assume The Sale!!

Success,

Rory Wilfong - by rwilfong
i think its more impt to live in the moment otherwise you can be fake to a customer. not that believing you will sell isnt impt cause it is but i cant spend too much thought on that or i loose my customer. - by BobSales
I have a good idea of how I'm going to play out; I have a good idea how the presentation/conversation is going to be entered. I don't have a good idea of how the outcome will play out if it's an initial contact with no commitments. If it's a meeting with commitments I have a good idea of how it's going to play out.

Having said all that, I do my best to be alert and attentive to context of what's happening so I can respond well not knowing ahead of time what I'll encounter for certain.

MitchM - by MitchM
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.