Home > Marketing > New Sales Job

New Sales Job

I just accepted a new sales position with a very new company. They make Spanish language yellow pages in secondary market cities. I am in KC and think this is a great idea. My job will be to get local business that feel the spanish speaking community would benifit them to advertise in the pages. I think this is a untapped market and my question is:

What would be a first step in finding the right clients for this product. I know cold calling will be a major part but is there a secret to yellow pages demographics. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks - by salesmonster
What would be a first step in finding the right clients for this product. I know cold calling will be a major part but is there a secret to yellow pages demographics. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks
First of all, I think it's a great concept. In the United States, there are more than 27 million Spanish-speaking people.

Initially I see a difference in the usage of the product as compared with a mainstream yellow page directory. In its early stages it could have a novelty value. In other words, there will be an inclination to use it. Most directories merely sit on shelves until you need them. A directory like you are offering will have an advantage of allowing Spanish speaking families to connect with others who share the language. I can see a certain loyalty developing towards the companies that advertise, providing that they have people fielding the phone calls who also speak Spanish.

With that said, I think one of your first steps is to network with various organizations that represent the different cultures that share that common language. Among them will be Hispanic business people. Also among them will be Spanish-speaking employees of companies who could give you ideas on how to approach their company.

I don't know where you are located, but, obviously, some areas in the U.S. have have extremely large percentages of population who speak Spanish as their primary, or only, language.

Do speak Spanish? - by Gary Boye
My job will be to get local business that feel the spanish speaking community would benifit them to advertise in the pages.
So really, your first priority would be to identify these businesses, yes?

Has the company you work for already done this or does it rest on your shoulders? - by Jackie
First off Gary, thanks for the good words about my new position. I looked at your web site and I think we might have to talk further. Am very interested in your ideas. I am located in Kansas city and there is a large hispanic communitiy here. The idea of going to spanish speaking business owners is great and when i truely ask for their help, I am sure they would. No I do not speak Spanish. That is the funny thing about this company, only about 7% are bilingual because we speak to mostly english speaking business owners that want to reach the spanish demographic.

Jakie, other than ads from other city phone books, it rests on my shoulders. I wanted to have a plan before I went out and just went door to door. I feel if there are certain business's that would benifit from this, hitting those would put my success ratio very hight, instead of the usual 9 no and 1 yes out of 10. - by salesmonster
I wanted to have a plan before I went out and just went door to door. I feel if there are certain business's that would benifit from this, hitting those would put my success ratio very hight, instead of the usual 9 no and 1 yes out of 10.
Here are a few suggestions:
  • Identify - Discover who you will be selling to. Develop a "Profile" of your potential customer.
  • Prioritize - Work from the top down. Find Spanish speaking business owners who have influence in the community and search them out first.
  • Leverage - Get the Spanish speaking business owners who are "sold" on the idea to help you. I imagine they know other spanish speaking business owners and can give you referrals and introductions. Get the snowball rollin' ;)
- by Gilbert
I will do all three Gilbert, thanks for the help! - by salesmonster
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.