Home > Marketing > Overcoming Writer's Block

Overcoming Writer's Block

I've thought about sending out monthly newsletters and articles but I don't get very far. I think I've got writer's block. What do you do to get past writer's block? - by Thomas
I've thought about sending out monthly newsletters and articles but I don't get very far. I think I've got writer's block. What do you do to get past writer's block?

Thomas,

If you're writing an article, pick a subject you know a lot about and are comfortable explaining to others. I think you'll find it much easier to write on topics where you feel you have something important to offer.

Susan - by susana
I think I've got writer's block. What do you do to get past writer's block?
Do a little research on the net for the topic you want to write about. This should get the ideas flowing again. shds; - by fred
When this happens it might be a good idea to step away, give your mind a rest, and hit it again later. ;) - by AZBroker
Read something written by someone else. Then put it away, rest up, go for a walk, sleep, watch tv. After awhile (could take a day or two), your mind will start exploding.

Another idea (which I never explored): self-hypnosis. - by Wonderboy
I haven't got far with the newsletter. Thanks for the ideas. - by Thomas
I've thought about sending out monthly newsletters and articles but I don't get very far. I think I've got writer's block. What do you do to get past writer's block?
Okay, I'm a writer (freelance copywriter), so here's what helps me:

Have a routine

That means have a specific set of things that puts you in the mood to write. It can be anything. For me, I'll drink a cup of tea, burn some incense and listen to music. This puts me in a really relaxed but alert mood. Almost Zen-like. I guess it gets my alpha brainwaves flowing, as weird as that sounds. ;bg

I got this idea a while back from reading about Method actors. A lot of them have a specific set of rituals that they follow when they want to get into character. Some athletes do it too.

Over time, your routine becomes your way of telling your brain it's "writing time", and your brain starts pumping out ideas.

Give it a try and let me know how it works. - by Starlor
Over time, your routine becomes your way of telling your brain it's "writing time", and your brain starts pumping out ideas.
Excellent idea Starlor. thmbp2; - by Jolly Roger
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.