Home > Prospecting > prospecting for the new guys!

prospecting for the new guys!

Hello all,
I have read and read and I still don't have a good idea how to sale. Everyone tells me that I have the perfect personality and I can talk to anyone. My problem is I don't know if I should just walk into the clients office unannounced or should I try and "cold call" and see if that gets me anywhere. I own a service company. This is my biggest obstacle because I don't know how to sale a service and not an item that they can see and put in their hand. I think I could be a good salesman but I just need some direction. How do I get the prospects to sale to?
Any help would be great. - by civey
Prospecting and Selling aren't the same. Prospecting is finding the few within a target group who are prime candidates for your service. I don't think everyone will agree on what "prime" means but I'd say if the prospects actively want what you're offering and have the ability to pay for what you're offering then they qualify as "prime". - by Liberty
How do I get the prospects to sale to?
Either you call on them or you find a way to get them to call on you. Which do you prefer? - by BossMan
I would love for them to call on me. - by civey
I would love for them to call on me.
Okay, and if a prospect was to call on you what would they specifically be calling for? - by BossMan
We are a service company
we provide support for voice, data, and fiber optic networks.
basically if it communicates we will install the cabling for it.
What is hard in my mind is that we sale a service not an item.
The customer cannot see it they can only use it when they communicate on the phone or computer. Any info is appreciated.
Thanks - by civey
We are a service company
we provide support for voice, data, and fiber optic networks.
basically if it communicates we will install the cabling for it.
What is hard in my mind is that we sale a service not an item.
The customer cannot see it they can only use it when they communicate on the phone or computer. Any info is appreciated.
Thanks
Who would be a good prospect for you? Who fits your ideal prospect profile? - by BossMan
any medium to large company.
any company that has a phone switch and computers that tie back to a server.
This is most medium to large companies. We have some large clients but I would like to have more but as I said before I need to find a way to get some face to face time with them to show them some pictures of work that we have done and to share with them some companies that we do work for.
The companies that trust us now should help us win some of the smaller business's trust.
Thanks - by civey
The ideal prospect profile is a good idea. With a clear understanding of who your ideal prospect is and why you'll be in a better position to create a targeted marketing plan. Your thoughts? - by SpeedRacer
What are some good ways to get some face time with a client or just find the client that needs your service? - by civey
What are some good ways to get some face time with a client or just find the client that needs your service?
For face time contact the prospects who most likely will want your service, tell them what you're offering in no unclear terms, and then ask them if they want to get together.

To find the prospects who need your service you can call from a targeted list or find a way to get your message in front of them.

Piece of cake right? msnwnk; - by BossMan
Does anyone have a good idea on a call script that would work in the service industry. My problem is getting in front of them.
If I can just bid on one project I will win it hands down.
And then after we install and complete the project we will keep them as a client based on the quality of work.
I truly feel this way I just have to get in front of them.
I have read things talking about networking with other business owners and things like that I have to find that avenue to.
I also would like to get in with some Electrical contractors and commercial builders this way they can call on me for bids as well.
Any info would be great....
Thanks - by civey
Does anyone have a good idea on a call script that would work in the service industry.
Check out High Probability Prospecting. Jacques is a member here. His program could be exactly what you're looking for

If I can just bid on one project I will win it hands down.
How would a prospect know that your bid should be the winner? - by Marcus
Thanks for the reply.
I know that my prices are great.
I just want the opportunity to bid on the jobs to win the work. - by civey
If the prospect perceived your prices and service as being relatively equal to the competition what would compel the prospect to choose your offer over the others? - by AZBroker
Thanks for the reply.
I just want the opportunity to bid on the jobs to win the work.
Is price the determining factor usually? - by Marcus
Civey,

As a Network Engineer in my past life I understand what you are trying to sell. I also know the company that we went with the most was the company we liked (on a personal level) the most. I remember Dave from Richarson Communications. He started out by coming by once a week to just say hi and see how things where going. He asked if we need any patch cables or cubes setup. He started with the small stuff. Then before long we where paying his company to wire an entire building and a lot of the other odds and ends things that needed to be done. I know we where paying them over a million dollars a project back in 2000.
1. So first create a system to identify your clients.
2. Then find someway to develop rapport with them. (a free lunch, or maybe some free marketing stuff with your name on it like a wireless mouse or retractable phone cord. (Dave knew I liked Raiders football and took me to a game.)
3. Then ask for some small work. (law of reciprocity)
4. Make sure to send out your best techs and make sure they also have some sales skills, especially followup. I loved how we would get an email saying what was completed that day it also included the measurements to show he actually test his work. Sometimes your biggest sales point is your employees especially in a service based business.

Hope that helps, good luck - by Jorel
Hello all,
I have read and read and I still don't have a good idea how to sale. Everyone tells me that I have the perfect personality and I can talk to anyone. My problem is I don't know if I should just walk into the clients office unannounced or should I try and "cold call" and see if that gets me anywhere. I own a service company. This is my biggest obstacle because I don't know how to sale a service and not an item that they can see and put in their hand. I think I could be a good salesman but I just need some direction. How do I get the prospects to sale to?
Any help would be great.
Great day civey,

A unique marketing tool that might be known but not used often enough is the video tape/disk. You may want to put something together that communicates you, the company, the service provided and testimonials. You can than drop it off to a potential client and offer to pick it up at a convenient time. Of course, that would be a great opportunity to review the tape and answer any and all questions. Just one marketing thought…thmbp2; - by job ready strategist
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.