Home > Resistance > How do you handle...

How do you handle...

A prospect that says "I'll keep your information on file and if a project comes up that I think fits you I'll give you a call". I think this is just a nice way of telling me to go pound sand. I sell printing services. - by bask869
A prospect that says "I'll keep your information on file and if a project comes up that I think fits you I'll give you a call". I think this is just a nice way of telling me to go pound sand. I sell printing services.
Your question indicates that you need a different approach. Your prospecting goal should be to find people who want a new printer that does the kind of work they want. That is the only kind of prospect you should visit.

We have trained the sales staffs of several printing companies, large and small. We know that over 20 percent of companies that regularly buy printing are not satisfied with their current print suppliers. Most of them will make a change now.

With that many good prospects out there, you need to learn how to prospect and find them. - by JacquesWerth
A prospect that says "I'll keep your information on file and if a project comes up that I think fits you I'll give you a call". I think this is just a nice way of telling me to go pound sand. I sell printing services.
Yup, that sounds like go pound sand to me too. ;pi

I'm a curious sort so I'd ask questions to get a better handle on what was going on. - by Liberty
I think that you should mark that prospect for follow up.

Business owners are contacted hourly on new business. The ones that don't have the attitude of giving up on the first try usually are the ones who end up getting the business. - by Ed Callais
If this was the conclusion of a sales call with a qualified prospect then odds are good that you've lost out on the opportunity and I think you should ask the prospective buyer what she would criteria you would need to meet to be a fit for this project. - by Bulldog
You seem to be attempting to figure out the best way to deal with this type of situation. Give it up!

You really should be considering how to avoid being in that type of situation in the future.

That means learning how to find and make appointments with prospects who want what you have to offer, and commit to buy from you if you can meet their requirements. - by JacquesWerth
You seem to be attempting to figure out the best way to deal with this type of situation. Give it up!

You really should be considering how to avoid being in that type of situation in the future.

That means learning how to find and make appointments with prospects who want what you have to offer, and commit to buy from you if you can meet their requirements.
Sometimes the best defense is a good offense. thmbp2; - by AZBroker
It sounds to me that you didn't uncover or create a potential pain/need when contacting the decision maker so you got the brush off.

Contacting them again in three to six months won't kill you, but I wouldn't forecast a probable sale even if you get a warmer response next time. - by rogerbauer
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.