Home > Cold Calling > Debate about being truly honest in cold calls

Debate about being truly honest in cold calls

I have noticed on this forum an ongoing, and so far inconclusive debate about how honest to be with prospects you are cold calling in your opening statement.

What i am talking about is whether:
a) to ask the prospect if now is a good time to speak
and
b) stating that "this is a sales call"

Now I have been doing some back to back testing of my own this week and I can now conclude that in the conversations with new prospects (cold calls) where I state that "this is a sales call" and ask them if it is a good time to speak I have had more success than in the calls where I just make the assumptions and plough on regardless.

I know that Sharon Drew uses these two items when she calls prospects, but I wondered whether anyone else has experience of this? - by Julian
I haven't seen this being debated. :dun My own opinion is to be totally upfront and honest with prospects. I can't imagine what a salesperson could gain by doing otherwise. - by Houston
What i was getting at was various ideas about openings and in one pod cast the gentlemen concerned actually recommended that you make the assumption that you have permission to speak to them irrespective of what the prospect actually thinks. - by Julian
What i was getting at was various ideas about openings and in one pod cast the gentlemen concerned actually recommended that you make the assumption that you have permission to speak to them irrespective of what the prospect actually thinks.
That doesn't sound like good advice to me. :nea - by Houston
That doesn't sound like good advice to me. :nea
Me neither:cu - by Julian
I have used SDM's techniques for years and always say this at the beginning of a call. I find that I get very little rejection and quite often it makes the prospect laugh.
I think if people wanted to try this, then set a target of say at least 10 calls where you use this opening and then jusdge the results afterwards - by zandrea
Hello Guys!
I was wondering if you would be open to another view on cold calling all together? I have come to understand that many reasons for rejection is sales pressure and total lack of need for the products or services being offered.

I think first thing in a cold call would be to see if your product or service and they prospect are compatible. You certainly wouldn't want to sell them a wheelchair if they have no trouble walking. Not only does this not make sense but it could offend the prospect as well.

So opening two-way conversation to put out your feelers sort of speak maybe warrented. Also understanding that you are interrupting the prospects daily or current activities when you cold call. So being honest with the prospect should be your first priority. I mean how can you expect them to be honest with you if you can not do the same in return?

Just some food for thought.
Smiles,
Lisa - by lrobertson
100% Honesty is essential to a long term successful relationship with a Prospect. Your calls should be so positive and full of enthusiasm that will get them excited to talk to you more and find out what you are selling.

If you have to Lie at any point throughout your call you do not have enough confidence in your product and you better get additional training or find a new product.

The energy and confidence you bring to the phone or that first hand shake determines your closing percentage.

Success,

Rory Wilfong - by rwilfong
I have used SDM's techniques for years and always say this at the beginning of a call.
Are you referring Sharon Drew Morgen's techniques? - by AZBroker
In business Cold calling is part of life. Just as is networking. You don’t announce before a conversation that "this is a networking opportunity for me", why would you do this in a cold call. If your a good sales person, you'll ask for a sale anyway.

If the person is a "business man or woman" they'll know what's up and understand that this is business. If you're proposing a beneficial sale for them they’ll listen, if not they'll end the call.

This is just life.
- by Lance_Best
Lance

Totally agree about cold calling however, you are saying you are selling and/or networking without even saying it by your actions. The more you shy away from the obvious the weaker you look and less confident you are in your product/service. Again, your attitude and optimistic outlook on the phone call or drop by will determine the outcome.

There is nothing wrong with stating right up front (in certain circumstances) "I am calling to sell you something that you need however, my hopes are that by the end of this conversation, I have you interested enough in moving to the next phase of the sales process."

Success,

Rory Wilfong - by rwilfong
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.