Home > Personal Selling > How Do The Top Pros Always Make Those Big Sales?

How Do The Top Pros Always Make Those Big Sales?

Is it voice? Personality? What's their magic? - by Wonderboy
Everybody knows it's the shoes. cl2;

If it's not the shoes then it's the ability to get people to listen, understand, and trust you. - by Calvin
Is it voice? Personality? What's their magic?
Yes Wonderboy it is "Magic", in magics truest form. We've all watched in sheer amazement as a "Magician" does all his tricks, right in front of our eyes. Things disappear ... then reappear ... astonishing! We all ask, "How ... do they do that?"

We all know it's not magic. Reality ... there is no such thing as magic. It's slight of hand! It's optical illusion! And, it's very difficult to perform.

The magic is in the "Magic Formula". Our amazing magician has spent many many years learning. What works and what doesn't. Hours upon hours of practicing the illusion themselves. Hours upon hours of practicing showmanship. Dedication to making it seemless to the audience. The diligence to change and add to the act to benefit those who watch the performance

When their not performing or practicing, you will find them reading and studying famous Magicians past and present to learn something new and valuable. They have an attitude of being better today than yesterday and even better tomorrow.

That's the "Magic" of top magicians and top salespeople.

It's the "Magic Formula"!

Greg - by Gregoire
"How Do The Top Pros Always Make Those Big Sales?"

Simple answer... They ask for it.
- by bluenote
From everything I've learned the most important part is great listening skills. They are able to ask questions and hear the answers. They find the need and fill it. - by Big Rob

if it was only that easy. Reason why are as follows
1. they usually have more experience and therefore overcome the objections that less experinced people would have stumbled
2. Top pros usually work harder and therefore see more accounts, prospects, etc.... and it is a numbers game the more you see the better chance you have of getting the big sale
3. most big sales aren't done in a day, week or even a month. Most big sales may take over a year and take time to devolp. - by benjamin-benjamin
if it was only that easy. Reason why are as follows
1. they usually have more experience and therefore overcome the objections that less experinced people would have stumbled
2. Top pros usually work harder and therefore see more accounts, prospects, etc.... and it is a numbers game the more you see the better chance you have of getting the big sale
3. most big sales aren't done in a day, week or even a month. Most big sales may take over a year and take time to devolp.
I'm not agreeing with you 100% benjamin.

Here's why:

Top pros obviously do have more experience. However, and in many cases, I've witnessed "years of experience" hurt salespeople more than help them. This, by the way, is going "by the numbers".

Many people develop poor habits over time and just because someone is experienced in their field, this doesn't make them a "Top Pro". Have you ever seen an absolute green-pea out write a veteran on pure enthusiasm alone?

Top Pros work smarter not harder and therefore they do effortlessly see and talk with more prospects. Speaking of numbers, less than 3% of all salespeople can be classified as "Top Pros".

There are tens of thousands of different sales industries out there so I'd find it real difficult to say that most big sales are not closed that day or week.

True, large accounts are snowballed and developed over time but many sales are closed that day/week or on a one call type basis.

Without getting industry specific, I will stand by my statement in saying Top Pros get what they want because they look the prospect dead in the eye, with absolute conviction, and they ask for it.

It really is that simple.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in having a solid foundation, believing in your product/service, giving a polished presentation etc... but sometimes over analyzing and thinking too much really can hurt you.

Stick to the basics and ask for the sale. - by bluenote
The top pros get the big sales because they work the right leads. ;tks - by Thomas
i think you are misunderstanding what i am saying

Top pros obviously do have more experience. However, and in many cases, I've witnessed "years of experience" hurt salespeople more than help them. This, by the way, is going "by the numbers".

Many people develop poor habits over time and just because someone is experienced in their field, this doesn't make them a "Top Pro". Have you ever seen an absolute green-pea out write a veteran on pure enthusiasm alone?

I never said that all people with experience are "top pros". It is assumed that since i was only talking about "top pros" that i was not refering to people that sucked at their job.. - by benjamin-benjamin
The top pros get the big sales because they work the right leads. ;tks
Obviously :thup - by bluenote
I think there are several factors:

You don't waste time with people who don't understand your message. If I sell 'quality' and you buy on 'price', there's not going to be much common ground.

You need to talk to the decision maker--even if it's for 10 minutes.

You need to have a concise statement about why they should buy from you. I always had 3 bullet points. When they'd ask, I'd give them the 3 bullet points, nd get their agreement these are important things.

Susan - by susana
I heard Bryan Tracy say once that in a horse race, the horse that places first gets 10x the prize money, even though he usually only wins by a nose. It does not mean that the horse is 10x better, but just a nose better. Likewise in sales, the top producers are usually only a nose better. They might say the same things, but their timing is perfect, when they close, and when how they answer objections. I think everyone can become a top producer if they commit to a certain level of professionalism. - by Jon on Maui
I heard Bryan Tracy say once that in a horse race, the horse that places first gets 10x the prize money, even though he usually only wins by a nose. It does not mean that the horse is 10x better, but just a nose better. Likewise in sales, the top producers are usually only a nose better. They might say the same things, but their timing is perfect, when they close, and when how they answer objections. I think everyone can become a top producer if they commit to a certain level of professionalism.
I don't go for that analogy because the race is for an audience purpose (a crowd pleaser).

To complicate the situation further:

1) Doing 25% better than quota wouldn't raise an eyebrow at many places but you will get raves from your carpet cleaning manager.

2) Commission structures can vary tremendously from one place to the next.

3) Saying you've tripled your sales means something different depending on your starting base (you may have been below quota
before you've improved).

We're definitely in agreement with your last statement, but many would ask what you mean by professionalism that separates the top pros from the rest. - by Wonderboy
Having had the opportunity to work with and interview dozens of the top pros (million dollar a year income superstars), I've found that their sales, for the most part, in terms of size, is no different than any other salesperson's.

They do, of course, make some huge sales in that mix. But for the most part, they make those huge sales either because they have carved out a niche that results in lots of huge sales or they simply make many times the number of sales the average salesperson makes--giving them many times the opportunity to make huge sales.

Their other weapon is they've learned how to generate a large number of high quality referrals from their clients. Clients tend to know people like themselves. If a Realtor selling a 3 million dollar home gets quality referrals from the client, many, if not most of those referrals will be to people looking to buy or sell somewhere roughly in the same price range.

They really don't have any great secrets--they just work harder, close more deals, have learned how to implement marketing strategies that generate more and better quality leads, and have implemented systems that generate add-on sales, upgrades and additional purchases.

They don't have anything that isn't available to any other salesperson. It's true, that because of their income, they can afford to use advertising, direct mail and some other costly methods of lead generation--but most of them don't use those, although obviously, some do.

If they do have a secret weapon, it's their image as an expert in their field that they've very carefully cultivated. That image, the perception of being an expert, often eliminates many of the traditional issues such as price. In fact, many of these men and women are no more technically proficient at what they do than most others in their field, but they have developed the image and reputation of being an expert and that makes a tremendous amount of difference in separating them from the crowd. - by pmccord
It may look like they always make the big sales but from my experience they make the big sales and the small ones. They make more of both by being consistent and hungry, but it doesn’t always work out. - by Tony Dunne

I agree with you Bluenote - by Snowboy
because they ask for it......if it was only so simple.... that is a joke, i can train any idiot to walk in and ask someone to buy....
I mean i am sure hard work, qualifilying, training, service, experience have nothing to do with it... i mean who needs that just walk in and ask someone to buy and you too can be a top pro... - by benjamin-benjamin
because they ask for it......if it was only so simple.... that is a joke, i can train any idiot to walk in and ask someone to buy....
I mean i am sure hard work, qualifilying, training, service, experience have nothing to do with it... i mean who needs that just walk in and ask someone to buy and you too can be a top pro...
To some degree he's right, the greatest presentation in the world, the most seamless rebuttals will avail you absolutly nothing if, at the end of the day, you don't ask for the damn sale.

IMHO one of the big things that makes a top pro is understanding that all sales are important and all customers are worth your time.

One of the biggest mistakes I see other tool men make is chasing the $5000 or $6000 scanner or tool box sale and forgetting the $100 socket set or $300 air impact.

The overall profit in absolute dollars on the box or scanner is higher, but the margin is higher on the socket set or impact and I might sell a couple of boxes or scanners a month, (in point of fact I haven't sold either in a year because I don't chase those sales) but I sell many many $100 to $300 a week. The $5 sale is as important as the $5,000 sale.

That being said, those big sales do drop in your lap, but they are the result as much of luck as hard work (hard work is a big factor don't get me wrong) and they cannot be counted on.

The top pros got that way by building up the countless smaller sales and taking the big ones for the gift they are.

Pat - by toolguy_35
Selling is a game of numbers. So although i will agree with you that some sales are "laydowns". It is a numbers game and that has to do with hard work. if every 50 deals = 1 laydown on average then.......
person A sees 100 people then = 2 laydowns
person B sees 500 people then = 10 laydowns

person A will complain to everyone else that person B is just luckier then him........ - by benjamin-benjamin
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.