Home > Customer Service > Customers Do Not Listen!

Customers Do Not Listen!

You hear all the time about salespeople who don't listen to their customers but I've been paying attention and I'm here to tell you that customers don't listen either!
;tmt - by Thomas
Just because the window is open doesn't mean the screen is up. - by Wonderboy
Just because the window is open doesn't mean the screen is up.
That means they aren't listening right? - by Thomas
That means they aren't listening right?
What I mean in this case is that the customer may be listening, but the message may not be getting through. - by Wonderboy
What I mean in this case is that the customer may be listening, but the message may not be getting through.
Right. That's what I'm saying. They're not listening. - by Thomas
Can you give a couple of examples? - by Wonderboy
Can you give a couple of examples?
Yeah. A lady called in yesterday and asked me if we sold mobile homes in parks with ammenities where you don't own the land. I said yes we do. She then said, "You do sell mobile homes in parks where you don't own the land?" I said yes maam we do that's our business selling mobile homes in parks where you don't own the land. She then asked again, "Do you have to rent the land when you buy the home?" After one or two more questions like this I told her that I couldn't work with her because she wasn't listening to what I was saying. She said, "you don't want to put up with me?" I said, maam I can't help you. You're asking questions but you're not listening to the answers. You've asked me the same question at least three times. We are not communicating. If we can't communicate I can't help. - by Thomas
People like that usually have a lot on their mind (sounded like she was unsure of herself). Usually a question like "Do you want to own or rent the land?" would snap them out of it to get a real dialogue going.

I had a person who I was talking with by phone. Every other sentence, she kept saying "Hello!" When I finally asked her why she kept doing that, she replied she wanted to be sure I was there. - by Wonderboy
I had a person who I was talking with by phone. Every other sentence, she kept saying "Hello!" When I finally asked her why she kept doing that, she replied she wanted to be sure I was there.
Yes! I have had this same thing happen to me. I don't get it. ;pi - by Thomas
Here's another example of customers not listening. A couple of hours ago I talked with a guy who wanted to buy his friends mobile home that our office has listed. When he called all we talked about was financing. I told him we had access to financing and would check into rates and call him tomorrow before noon. I called the seller a few minutes ago to update him and he said he had also talked with the buyer after my conversation with him and gave him his lenders information because the buyer said I didn't have any financing. WTF? Our entire conversation was about financing and how I was going to check rates and get back with him tomorrow. annyd; - by Thomas
Another reason why prospects don't seem to be paying attention is that in your line of business, you have many details to go over (the average person can handle up to three pieces of information at a time which is why a phone number, xxxxxxxxxx, is broken up into xxx-xxx-xxxx).

I would look into ways of simplifying your presentation, if you can.
Try some practice sessions with friends and relatives and do a study on simplifying a presentation for your prospect (the internet and this website can be helpful). - by Wonderboy
Another reason why prospects don't seem to be paying attention is that in your line of business, you have many details to go over (the average person can handle up to three pieces of information at a time which is why a phone number, xxxxxxxxxx, is broken up into xxx-xxx-xxxx).

I would look into ways of simplifying your presentation, if you can.
Try some practice sessions with friends and relatives and do a study on simplifying a presentation for your prospect (the internet and this website can be helpful).
Thanks WB! I think it's Miller time. hpy3; - by Thomas
People seem to listen better when the WIIFM syndrome occurs.thmbp2; - by job ready strategist
The responsibility is on the Sender, not the Receiver, to get his/her message across successfully. - by BossMan
Customer's do listen. Prospects, on the other hand, well we have to be patient. I find whenever I talk to a prospect, and I bring something new in, I plant a seed, and then go back several times. Do this:

Go anywhere that sells something you want, but know you cannot afford. I'll use my profession in particular. Go into an art gallery. Look around and look at a piece you like for more than 7 seconds. The consultant will approach you, and if he or she is smart, will take the art off the wall, and take you into the back room. He or she will dim the lights, and mesmorize you. Pay attention to how much he or she says, and how much you retain.

When you are looking at something you like, you are not paying attention to what the guy is saying, you are thinking of what you want. You are thinking of how you can afford it, or, you are thinking how you can get out of there.

You as a salesperson need to be asking questions, more than you are giving information. If they aren't listening, they are thinking. Ask what they are thinking about. Ask open ended questions. Ask your tie down's.

Aren't you?
Isn't it?
Don't you?

It's bettter to be interested than interesting. When you ask questions, it forces them to think, and to respond. Try these things, and then you might see some results.

-Jon - by Jon on Maui
Customer's do listen. Prospects, on the other hand, well we have to be patient. I find whenever I talk to a prospect, and I bring something new in, I plant a seed, and then go back several times. Do this:

Go anywhere that sells something you want, but know you cannot afford. I'll use my profession in particular. Go into an art gallery. Look around and look at a piece you like for more than 7 seconds. The consultant will approach you, and if he or she is smart, will take the art off the wall, and take you into the back room. He or she will dim the lights, and mesmorize you. Pay attention to how much he or she says, and how much you retain.

When you are looking at something you like, you are not paying attention to what the guy is saying, you are thinking of what you want. You are thinking of how you can afford it, or, you are thinking how you can get out of there.

You as a salesperson need to be asking questions, more than you are giving information. If they aren't listening, they are thinking. Ask what they are thinking about. Ask open ended questions. Ask your tie down's.

Aren't you?
Isn't it?
Don't you?

It's bettter to be interested than interesting. When you ask questions, it forces them to think, and to respond. Try these things, and then you might see some results.

-Jon - by Jon on Maui
Customers hear what they want to hear, most anyway.

If a sales person tells me they’ll try and deliver the item by say the 21st of the month but they are not sure if they can, I being the customer doesn’t hear TRY or NOT SURE, I only hear the 21st. - by Tony Dunne
You can also try presenting in bullet points. Write down your information and then make concise bullet points. So, when a prospect has a question, you can answer in short, concise bullet points.

Susan - by susana
You can also try presenting in bullet points. Write down your information and then make concise bullet points. So, when a prospect has a question, you can answer in short, concise bullet points.

Susan
I would suggest to all to read books on writing (including advertising writing, business writing and marketing/sales writing as well) plus mine the internet for writing tips. - by Wonderboy
You hear all the time about salespeople who don't listen to their customers but I've been paying attention and I'm here to tell you that customers don't listen either!
;tmt
Thomas - I understand your point and the angle you are coming from but don't you think that the Sales Person plays a big part in the penetration to the customer? - by Snowboy
Very helpful tip. Thanks - by alexhar

Aren't you?
Isn't it?
Don't you?

-Jon
Hello Jon,
I think you are spot on here - Customer Do LIsten - Propect need work. - by Snowboy
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.