Home > Personal Selling > How Long Does It Take To Make A Sale?

How Long Does It Take To Make A Sale?

I may have asked this one before, but I don't recall seeing any responses. What would it take to get that sale? - by Wonderboy
How long is the prospect's buying cycle? - by Calvin
What would it take to get that sale?
I don't get the question. :cu - by Houston
I don't get the question.
I'm trying to figure this one out too. :cu - by Thomas
Depends upon what you're selling and how much it costs. Frequently, larger companies have a set budget limit at certain levels where one person cannot make the ultimate decision about buying so a committee needs to be formed which draws out the cycle. In smaller companies, the owner or CEO makes the decision and doesn't need anyone else's approval so the cycle is much shorter.

If you're selling a complicated technical item (such as a large phone system/PBX), the cycle will be long due to the impact on the organization. There are too many areas of the business being impacted which will require training and implementation coordination so the decision cannot be made quickly. A new computer system and/or network would be similar. If you're selling something like paper products, it might not take very long to reach a decision because the organization isn't impacted that greatly.

So the shorter answer is it depends on:
1) Item/solution being sold
2) Cost of the item/solution
3) Impact on the organization (complexity)
4) Number of decision makers required
5) Time to implement & train staff
6) Ongoing support

Once you have uncovered the answers to each of these items, you should have a good idea how long it might take. Additionally, it may take some time to acquire all of this information to share with your organization in order to customize the proposal.

That's a loaded question, but I hope I answered it somewhat. - by rogerbauer
5 mins to 5 years - by benjamin-benjamin
One of our client companies, a Baby Bell, provides customized telecommunications and networked computer systems to medium and large companies. Their average sale is $1.6 million. Their avearage sales cycle is 18 weeks.

One of our graduates sells Long Term Care Insurance and Annuities to seniors. His average sales commission, is $3,200. His average sales cycle is 8 working days.

What does that tell you? - by JacquesWerth
I guess the longer the sale process the more money you make? - by Snowboy
I may have asked this one before, but I don't recall seeing any responses. What would it take to get that sale?
There are to many options that could be placed into this question - The industry - the product etc. - by Snowboy
There are to many options that could be placed into this question - The industry - the product etc.
I think that most of us can agree on that.

The salespeople working for the Baby Bell (mentioned above) earn between $80k and $200k per year.

The Long Term Care and Annuities agent earns about $300k per year, only working about 30 hours a week. But he pays his own expenses of about $40K. - by JacquesWerth
I may have asked this one before, but I don't recall seeing any responses. What would it take to get that sale?
Through proper perspective and analysis, the actual answer is a split-second!

I'm not talking about the quickest sale. I'm talking about all sales on average. It would take a new understanding of prospects along with my principles to see what I mean. - by Wonderboy
Through proper perspective and analysis, the actual answer is a split-second!

I'm not talking about the quickest sale. I'm talking about all sales on average. It would take a new understanding of prospects along with my principles to see what I mean.
So, Benjamin-Benjamin was only 5 minutes off. Way to go Benny!

In the mean time, is it "Wonderboy's" intention to ask Rhetorical questions? Or is he merely posing riddles that can not be answered by anyone but him - and he's not telling? - by JacquesWerth
So, Benjamin-Benjamin was only 5 minutes off. Way to go Benny!

In the mean time, is it "Wonderboy's" intention to ask Rhetorical questions? Or is he merely posing riddles that can not be answered by anyone but him - and he's not telling?
"In the mean time, is it "Wonderboy's" intention to ask Rhetorical questions? Or is he merely posing riddles that can not be answered by anyone but him - and he's not telling?"

A good teacher doesn't volunteer answers, but gets a class discussion going.

Here's a real riddle for you which I can guarantee no one can answer:

"All men are liars." So am I a liar or am I telling the truth? (given by Epimenides - btw I'm male)
male) - by Wonderboy
"In the mean time, is it "Wonderboy's" intention to ask Rhetorical questions? Or is he merely posing riddles that can not be answered by anyone but him - and he's not telling?"
A good teacher doesn't volunteer answers, but gets a class discussion going.

Here's a real riddle for you which I can guarantee no one can answer:

"All men are liars." So am I a liar or am I telling the truth? (given by Epimenides - btw I'm male)
male)
Well, the question about unsolvable riddles seems to be answered.

How about these questions?

Who is the good teacher?

When and how is he/she going to get a class discussion going? - by JacquesWerth
I don't get the question. :cu
I don't either. What exactly are you asking Wonderboy? - by AZBroker
I don't either. What exactly are you asking Wonderboy?
Houston was responding to this question:

"What would it take to get that sale?"

That sale means all sales made in the shortest time possible, not just the quickest ones. I recently answered a split-second, not 5 minutes to 5 years as was proposed by someone else.

This would involve a new concept as to what a sale really is. Would anybody care to offer his or her ideas and thoughts on this? - by Wonderboy
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.