Home > Approach > Weighing the Approach Step

Weighing the Approach Step

I believe that a salesperson cannot consistenly flub the approach step and be successful in selling so I give it a lot of weight. How much weight do you give to the approach step in selling? - by Calvin
90% weight (I've actually tested this and confirmed). - by Wonderboy
90% weight (I've actually tested this and confirmed).
How do you test something like that? - by Thomas
How do you test something like that?
Test what you can measure and factor in the time (scientifically speaking). - by Wonderboy
Test what you can measure and factor in the time (scientifically speaking).
That went right over my head. crp1; - by Thomas
In sales, we deal with many concepts such as an "approach" which isn't specific enough to be measurable, i.e. where any two people can agree on exactly what is meant (even the term "sales" is inexact as I pointed out elsewhere - you may sell 100 cell phones in a month; but if 25% of them are returned, are they true sales?).

People often say a person sells a lot due to voice or personality, yet how do you measure them so that you can tell that they are indeed a factor in the sales? (in fact I read about psychologists failing to determine who among new salespeople would go on to being successful and who wouldn't - they've relied upon their subjective opinions which failed them).

What I'm saying is you have to be objective when you do a study and to do that, you must be able to measure something exactly, either through counting or an agreed upon standard to compare with (this will involve statistics and probabilty to evaluate the results). As part of any study, you must determine what the sample size or sizes should be.

Since we're talking about approach, I can tell you that two salespeople can say the same exact thing (with the prospect also saying the same things during the presentation), yet one will be more successful than the other where voice and personality doesn't make a difference. I can say that because I was those two different people reciting a script verbatim and through a certain mechanism, I saw my sales go up 50%. - by Wonderboy
Since we're talking about approach, I can tell you that two salespeople can say the same exact thing (with the prospect also saying the same things during the presentation), yet one will be more successful than the other where voice and personality doesn't make a difference.
What makes the difference? - by Thomas
Trade secret for now. - by Wonderboy
Trade secret for now.
Ah man. crp1; - by Thomas
Trade secret for now.
What role does "rapport" play in your findings? - by BossMan
What role does "rapport" play in your findings?
Depends on what you mean by rapport (which a cable company I worked for referred to as "making the connection").

Again I go by measurement and I would have to ask how do you measure rapport? Let's say hypothetically we agree that part of what is meant by rapport is that the seller and prospect talk at the same rate of speed (I'm given to understand the average is 140 words per minute). I'm sure you must have heard you should adjust your rate of talking to match the prospect's.

Let's say you're talking with the physicist, Stephen Hawking. He talks slower than average, yet I can guarantee you he has 100 times more brainpower than you and me put together and slowing down wouldn't make sense for someone like him. I doubt that any studies have been done in sales proving that the rate of talking affects sales.

Getting back to rapport, I doubt that rapport itself is a significant factor in selling (never seen evidence for it). Would you say because you sell to more people, that you have an adjustable personality/voice that adapts to more prospects? In the entertainment business, you have thousands of successful performers with varying personalities and voices, both professionally and privately. If the entertainment business has so many successful types of performers, why should there be a special sales personality/voice?

There is a definite mechanism that's measurable and significantly influences sales (besides myself, I've taught my system to a limited few with significant sales increase - I point out that no change occurred in personality nor voice).

I hope this answers your question. - by Wonderboy
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.