Home > Approach > Credibility

Credibility

I had worked in retail selling cell phones (entirely new industry to me and I never used one before).

I've never received training so I had to wing it and do things piecemeal. I had a jerk for a boss (another story) who got upset if I referred to literature with specs so that I can give the customer proper information (the list on the specs easily runs over a dozen items).

Do you think that for most prospects, your credibility goes up or down? (some have said you're supposed to be an expert). A related question is how long should it take between training and experience before you can be considered to be an expert? (incidentally I have made sales reading the product literature in front of the customer). - by Wonderboy
I don't equate being an expert as knowing everything so I'd refer to the specs if I needed to. I don't think in the eyes of your customer your credibility would suffer by consulting literature unless the information was something basic and you should have known. - by Calvin
Believability and consistency will do more for gaining credibility than having all the answers on the tip of your tongue. ;) - by Houston
I had a jerk for a boss (another story) who got upset if I referred to literature with specs so that I can give the customer proper information (the list on the specs easily runs over a dozen items).

Do you think that for most prospects, your credibility goes up or down? (some have said you're supposed to be an expert).
Credibility doesn't diminish because you refer to product literature. Credibility diminishes when the customer no longer believes or trusts you. - by AZBroker
Do you think that for most prospects, your credibility goes up or down? (some have said you're supposed to be an expert). A related question is how long should it take between training and experience before you can be considered to be an expert? (incidentally I have made sales reading the product literature in front of the customer).
I would say that it's a direct reflection on how you genuinely treat the person. Intentions and genuineness are sore bedfellows today. - by MaxReferrals
As a cellular sales manager I can say you are concidered an expert ---- well I have been doing this for 10 years and still would not concider myself an expert. Just keep chugging along. I still refer to spec sheets from time to time. However I do not use them unless a customer specifically asks for exacts. My personal integrity with my customers comes being there when they need me finding answers when they have questions. Putting them on the right plan the first time or being able to fix the problem without them having to work for it is a big deal in this in business.

Thanks and good luck - by jd12car
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.