Home > Closing > "You Gotta Open 'Em Up Before You Can Close 'Em."

"You Gotta Open 'Em Up Before You Can Close 'Em."

So much focus on the closing (check the books at the bookstore that have close or closing as part of their titles). Yet I've found after much study, that what you do near the start of a presentation will dramatically alter your closing rate, in general (I may be a bit boring at this point - I have developed to the point of exceeding quota at a cable company by over ten times). This is similar to print advertising where a headline that starts off an ad can have tremendous impact upon sales (so time is a factor for both presentations and advertising).

It's also worth noting I learned to let all my customers close themselves out (sometimes you can hear them debate with themselves on the merits of buying). - by Wonderboy
It's also worth noting I learned to let all my customers close themselves out (sometimes you can hear them debate with themselves on the merits of buying).
I can't say I'm sure I know what you mean. Can you give an example? - by SpeedRacer
I can't say I'm sure I know what you mean. Can you give an example?
You can actually hear customers deciding. E.g. "I wonder if I should get that. Hmmm...I think I'll give it a try." Does this answer your question? - by Wonderboy
You can actually hear customers deciding. E.g. "I wonder if I should get that. Hmmm...I think I'll give it a try." Does this answer your question?
Capturing attention up front is key. Allowing customers to think through their decision, out loud or in their head, is key too. msnwnk; - by SpeedRacer
So much focus on the closing (check the books at the bookstore that have close or closing as part of their titles). Yet I've found after much study, that what you do near the start of a presentation will dramatically alter your closing rate, in general (I may be a bit boring at this point - I have developed to the point of exceeding quota at a cable company by over ten times). This is similar to print advertising where a headline that starts off an ad can have tremendous impact upon sales (so time is a factor for both presentations and advertising).

It's also worth noting I learned to let all my customers close themselves out (sometimes you can hear them debate with themselves on the merits of buying).
Brilliant Concept Wonderboy. YOu can't say you have read the book if the first page hasn't been opened obviously. - by Snowboy
Capturing attention up front is key. Allowing customers to think through their decision, out loud or in their head, is key too. msnwnk;
A good landing is preceded by a good approach. ;co - by Houston
Kinda like golf, You direct the ball in which way you want it to go, the more practice you have then the better you will be at making it land where you want it to. - by Snowboy
Kinda like golf, You direct the ball in which way you want it to go, the more practice you have then the better you will be at making it land where you want it to.
Same with flying airplanes. You set up the landing with your approach. Screw up the approach and things can get sideways in a hurry. msnwnk; - by Houston
I completely Agree - by EmmaC
Capturing attention up front is key. Allowing customers to think through their decision, out loud or in their head, is key too. msnwnk;
Well written Speed Racer - by EmmaC

Wonderboy, can you give an example of how you get them to "open up"? I assume you're selling in folk's homes, it being cable? - by klozer
Wonderboy, can you give an example of how you get them to "open up"? I assume you're selling in folk's homes, it being cable?
Sorry I can't say as it's a system I've developed on my own for which I want to credit, but I can't even post it on here to claim credit because my post can always be deleted or the website go out of business.

(incidentally I was selling in "folk's home" through the telephone as I was a customer service representative). - by Wonderboy
Wonderboy,

I've been reading your posts, on your system, here on this forum and another for quite a while... 1 yr? 2 yrs??

What's shakin' man? when does this system of yours hit the airwaves? - by bluenote
Wonderboy, I've been in sales for over 30 years and through that period I've heard of techniques, tricks, approaches but never a "system".

At Xerox, when the "mojo wasn't working", we used to do informal role-plays to uncover the missing piece (of the technique which had been working). Frequently, we'd do 2-man calls to keep the momentum high. We used to share what made us winners by standing in front of the team presenting our evolving technique(s).

"System" implies that this technique works on virtually every call. In every industry? It also assumes that the decision-maker plays a insignificant role. There was a character at Xerox who used to sell grave sites. The key to his phenomenal success (his "system") was to sell the sites to families who could NOT afford the purchase: he could re-sell the same sites over and over ... quite the "system"!

I seem to recall this "system" of yours in another post. It struck me at the time that you're missing something when you say, "Sorry I can't say as it's a system I've developed on my own for which I want to credit, but I can't even post it on here to claim credit because my post can always be deleted or the website go out of business."

IF you truly have a "system", quit whatever you're doing and launch a consulting/training business. Go away and make your fortune, then, come back on the forum and enlighten us. BUT, please, no more titillating us with the magic of "what could be (with your system) ...".

Here's some advice from the grey hair: when you refuse to share, you'll lose touch with yourself.

Good luck & Good selling!
Pat - by OUTSource Sales
OUTSource and bluenote:

Since I can't patent the system, the next best thing is to copyright it so I can get some credit.

"It also assumes that the decision-maker plays a insignificant role."
Au contraire, it assumes that the decisionmaker ALWAYS has a major role which I've seen violated by others on this website (in fact it works by helping the decision-making process).

Here's what I'll say for now about it:

(1) Easier than arithmetic
(2) Three-step process
(3) Recognizes no special product nor service - they all can be sold effectively
(4) Accommodates any selling style
(5) It always works (but its effects can be sabotaged or masked,
i.e. mismanagement).

As a test as to how easy it can be, a seller just needs to recognize what he or she is actually selling. For example:

(1) Say you're working as an appointment setter. What are you selling?

(2) Say you're working in a restaurant waiting tables and making a
living off of tips. What are you selling?

Once you determine what you're selling, you just apply my three-step system.

So is it the "one-size-fits-all" approach? Depends on your viewpoint (seller or consumer?). - by Wonderboy
Wonderboy, I'm not sure why you post this sort of stuff as it has no apparent relevance. You're studiously avoiding providing any insight so that we cannot assist you with the "system".

Why bother ...

On the topic of copyrighting, good luck. If you're going to quit what you're doing, launch a training or consulting initiative (based on the "system"), that's a different story.

Good luck & Good selling!
Pat - by OUTSource Sales
OUTSource and bluenote:

Since I can't patent the system, the next best thing is to copyright it so I can get some credit.

"It also assumes that the decision-maker plays a insignificant role."
Au contraire, it assumes that the decisionmaker ALWAYS has a major role which I've seen violated by others on this website (in fact it works by helping the decision-making process).

Here's what I'll say for now about it:

(1) Easier than arithmetic
(2) Three-step process
(3) Recognizes no special product nor service - they all can be sold effectively
(4) Accommodates any selling style
(5) It always works (but its effects can be sabotaged or masked,
i.e. mismanagement).

As a test as to how easy it can be, a seller just needs to recognize what he or she is actually selling. For example:

(1) Say you're working as an appointment setter. What are you selling?

(2) Say you're working in a restaurant waiting tables and making a
living off of tips. What are you selling?

Once you determine what you're selling, you just apply my three-step system.

So is it the "one-size-fits-all" approach? Depends on your viewpoint (seller or consumer?).
I have to say, Wonderboy, that these veiled descriptions of your "system" aren't terribly helpful to the community IMO. I would suggest that if you have something to share, you share it so we can all learn from it and discuss it. If you're not ready to share it, then the rest of the community doesn't need to hear how great your system is, or that there are three steps in your system, or that it's easier than arithmetic.

Assuming that you've written your system down, it's already copyrighted. That's all that's required to be copywritten. - by Skip Anderson
Wonderboy,

I've been reading your posts, on your system, here on this forum and another for quite a while... 1 yr? 2 yrs??

What's shakin' man? when does this system of yours hit the airwaves?
Bluenote,

I'm doing testing in a field I haven't touched before, the restaurant business through a person who's doing waitressing. I'm awaiting results (i.e. numbers) before I do anything else.

Based on past history over the course of about eight years, I can say this system has performed wonders for me personally and for others who I taught.

Stay tuned. - by Wonderboy
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.