Home > Personal Development > Getting the big picture to be successful

Getting the big picture to be successful

I look upon getting the big picture as the most important factor in successful selling. It follows that being able to analyze is an indispensable ingredient to doing this.

What are your thoughts on this? - by Wonderboy
I look upon getting the big picture as the most important factor in successful selling. It follows that being able to analyze is an indispensable ingredient to doing this.

What are your thoughts on this?
Which big picure? The big picture about selling, the customer's big picture, both? - by Jolly Roger
Which big picure? The big picture about selling, the customer's big picture, both?
In terms of a presentation, e.g., one part of a presentation does affect another part (tested and proven). I can state that something that seems trivial takes on added meaning in the big picture. - by Wonderboy
In terms of a presentation, e.g., one part of a presentation does affect another part (tested and proven). I can state that something that seems trivial takes on added meaning in the big picture.
What would be an example? - by AZBroker
What would be an example?
When I worked in carpet cleaning booking orders, I presented the three services of steam cleaning, scotchgarding and deodorizing on their own merits. I was struggling with deodorizing as were my coworkers at the branch I worked out of.

I got the brilliant idea of telling prospects that deodorizing was activated by steam cleaning. That stopped all putoff excuses on deodorizing and quadrupled my sales on the deodorizer (also adding a room price for all three services helped, but I do stress that I let the prospects know that they didn't have to get all three services). - by Wonderboy
I got the brilliant idea of telling prospects that deodorizing was activated by steam cleaning. That stopped all putoff excuses on deodorizing and quadrupled my sales on the deodorizer (also adding a room price for all three services helped, but I do stress that I let the prospects know that they didn't have to get all three services).
That's it? All you had to was tell them that deodorizing was activated by steam cleaning and they bought? - by Thomas
That's it? All you had to was tell them that deodorizing was activated by steam cleaning and they bought?
Thomas, where I worked at I took phone calls from prospects responding to ads offering specials on steam cleaning.

The prospects' main interest was on the steam cleaning. So by linking up the deodorizing with the steam cleaning, the prospects bought (keep in mind that some people were already considering deodorizing - often they had a spouse or someone else present at their house so they didn't want to miss out on getting the deodorizer - my link gave them the urge to decide to go for it). - by Wonderboy

What are your thoughts on this?
I disagree completely... as far as selling goes out top salesperson in the nation (out of 864 people) is the last person that understands the big picture. he is selfish, lies to people, and makes people mad and yells at prospects. With all that he is still in the top 5% 4 years running... - by benjamin-benjamin
I disagree completely... as far as selling goes out top salesperson in the nation (out of 864 people) is the last person that understands the big picture. he is selfish, lies to people, and makes people mad and yells at prospects. With all that he is still in the top 5% 4 years running...
Would you say he has a winning personality? What attracts people to him? Would you want to do business with him? Besides his high sales rate, does he have a high return rate as well? (part of the big picture).

Selling is a big idea meaning many components goes into it to be successful. I would like to say that a personality is part of it, but how do you measure it? Where's the evidence to support it? (BB seems to suggest that the stereotypical pleasant, professional personality doesn't apply towards being successful in selling). - by Wonderboy
Would you say he has a winning personality? What attracts people to him? Would you want to do business with him? Besides his high sales rate, does he have a high return rate as well? (part of the big picture).

Selling is a big idea meaning many components goes into it to be successful. I would like to say that a personality is part of it, but how do you measure it? Where's the evidence to support it? (BB seems to suggest that the stereotypical pleasant, professional personality doesn't apply towards being successful in selling).
wow don't take my words out of context i never said that the stereotypical pleasant, professional personality doesn't apply towards being successful in selling. All i am saying is that regrading selling there are people that are successful that don't get the big picture. Is it normal? No....but if people are successful without getting the big picture it is tough for me to say that it is necessary to be successful... - by benjamin-benjamin
Thomas, where I worked at I took phone calls from prospects responding to ads offering specials on steam cleaning.

The prospects' main interest was on the steam cleaning. So by linking up the deodorizing with the steam cleaning, the prospects bought (keep in mind that some people were already considering deodorizing - often they had a spouse or someone else present at their house so they didn't want to miss out on getting the deodorizer - my link gave them the urge to decide to go for it).
What was the big picture? - by Thomas
What was the big picture?
Selling deodorizer on its own merits was fruitless (people were mainly interested in the way carpets looked, not in the way they smelled). By linking up with another service that people were interested in and using room pricing (instead of individual service pricing) helped to unify the services making the picture bigger facilitating the sales. - by Wonderboy
Selling deodorizer on its own merits was fruitless (people were mainly interested in the way carpets looked, not in the way they smelled). By linking up with another service that people were interested in and using room pricing (instead of individual service pricing) helped to unify the services making the picture bigger facilitating the sales.
Is there a big picture in all selling? - by Thomas
Yes there is Thomas (and I don't only mean oral selling). - by Wonderboy
Yes there is Thomas (and I don't only mean oral selling).
What is the big picture for selling homes? - by Thomas
What is the big picture for selling homes?
I've never sold houses. It's evident that one of the important factors is the interest rate. It's been suggested with a big ticket item that you should start off with price followed by features and benefits.

Part of the big picture would be to listen closely to what your prospects are saying. Pick up on the literal meaning of whatever they say, but dig further to see what else may be going on (a tip for everyone: if your prospect says he has to think about it or talk it over with somebody, then not enough urge is being created and you may need to adjust your presentation as I've successfully done with mine).

There's always a big picture with any product or service. And there's many ways to succeed (I've had about a dozen myself including a very special one that's so big, it boggles the imagination). - by Wonderboy
There's always a big picture with any product or service.
I'll keep working on this and try to come up with a big picture. ;sm - by Thomas
I look upon getting the big picture as the most important factor in successful selling.
I have read your posts in this thread yet I still don't see where you're going with this? :dun - by Jolly Roger
I have read your posts in this thread yet I still don't see where you're going with this? :dun
agreed......... - by benjamin-benjamin
I have read your posts in this thread yet I still don't see where you're going with this? :dun
Sometimes things aren't as simple as they seem to be (I'm putting up a new post titled Comparing Apples With Oranges which you should read). - by Wonderboy
Sometimes things aren't as simple as they seem to be (I'm putting up a new post titled Comparing Apples With Oranges which you should read).
I'll check it out. thmbp2; - by Jolly Roger
Congruent goals « Prev | Next » To-Do Lists
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.