Home > Personal Selling > Mud Slingers

Mud Slingers

What do you do when your competitors talk trash about you and/or your company? How do you get it to stop?

I've always ignored these types of comments in the past. I'm just wondering if there is a way to get this kind of thing to stop.

Any ideas? - by Prospector
Any ideas?
"Keep your friends close but your enemies closer." - by Bulldog
I've always ignored these types of comments in the past. I'm just wondering if there is a way to get this kind of thing to stop.

Any ideas?
I'm not sure there is anything you can do to get this to stop. :( Unfortunately, not every salesperson is going to handle himself/herself in a professional manner.

I would continue to simply ignore the comments and keep on keeping on. ;) - by AZBroker
What do you do when your competitors talk trash about you and/or your company? How do you get it to stop?

Any ideas?
When your competitors are taking the time to rubbish you, this is actually a compliment to you! They see you as a serious threat. I respect you for not lowering your own standards. You will find your prospective clients will be respecting you too. - by tessa
When your competitors are taking the time to rubbish you, this is actually a compliment to you! They see you as a serious threat. I respect you for not lowering your own standards. You will find your prospective clients will be respecting you too.
Bang on. Your clients will respect you more by not coming down to their level.

Is it a company or do you think it might be just one person in that company? If it is just one person then I would suggest that you talk to their CEO, MD. Always a good way to make contact (depending on the circumstances of course), but a competitor can also become a supporter :) .

If it is a company and it gets out of hand I would also try and talk to their CEO, MD --- it doesn't do any harm to find out why. A lot of the time it could be a misunderstanding.

Kevin - by macpro5652
Is it a company or do you think it might be just one person in that company?
Both. It's not like they do it every day but every once in a while I catch wind of it. - by Prospector
Both. It's not like they do it every day but every once in a while I catch wind of it.
I like Kevin's idea. Turn lemons into lemonaide, if you can. ;) - by Jackie
I had something like this happen to me a little while ago, after taking a few accounts away from a competitor. I just let them waste energy talking about me when they should be selling, eventually they'll get distracted by something or someone else.;) - by Doc MC
What do you do when your competitors talk trash about you and/or your company? Any ideas?
It's obvious you're a professional when you don't lower your standards and try to defend the negative remarks. I'm a firm believer in "What goes around, comes around." Hold your ground and keep your chin up. If a client makes mention of something negative that the competition is saying, just smile, wink and go on with your work. That usually speaks volumes.;) - by Irene Morales Ward
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.