Home > Social Influence > The Science of Influence

The Science of Influence

Has anyone read the book, "The Science of Influence" by Kevin Hogan? If so, what is your opinion of the material? - by Bandit
Has anyone read the book, "The Science of Influence" by Kevin Hogan? If so, what is your opinion of the material?
A while back I read a couple of "articles" by Hogan. One was on the subject of body langauge, which, by coincidence, has been covered in more in-depth fashion--pro and con--by members here on a recent thread.

The other article was on "oscillation" which is a term I haven't used. It also touched lightly on some stuff that was in a recent thread here devoted to "striplining" in sales. I'm referring to his analogy of a pendulum.

Both articles were teasers on his web site to encourage people to get the lowdown on the subjects by buying his stuff.

Perhaps it's not coincidence. Did recent postings prompt you to mention Hogan? - by Gary Boye
Did recent postings prompt you to mention Hogan?
No, but now I need to find and read the postings your talking about. :D

I was recently loaned a copy of this book by a co-worker. It looks pretty interesting really. I was hoping others here might have read the book and could provide their insight or opinion on the material.

It almost seems like "influence" or "persuasion" are bad words to many salespeople. Am I reading that wrong? - by Bandit
It almost seems like "influence" or "persuasion" are bad words to many salespeople. Am I reading that wrong?
I don't believe you're "reading that wrong."

For whatever the reason, I think a lot of people associate "persuasion" and/or "influence" as some sort of "devious" activity.

Whatever. :rolleyes: - by Jackie
For whatever the reason, I think a lot of people associate "persuasion" and/or "influence" as some sort of "devious" activity.
IMO, these are simply tools. If there is any "devious" activity it's by the hand of the "user" and should be recognized as such. ;) - by WobblyBox

Whatever. :rolleyes:
There is nothing wrong with using "persuasion" and "influence" when selling. Unfortunately, for some their technique borders on or outright crosses the line of misrepresentation. That is where the "devious" perception comes in. - by Doc MC
I was unable to read it. The style overwhelms my brain. I prefer pages that are broken up and segmented. This book just seem to cram a bunch of stuff together... page after page....AHHHHH.

From a quick skim of the book, I can imagine it contains good stuff. I prefer NLP books though. They just seem better at providing insight into how we code experiences into our mind and how best to evoke the emotions associated with those experiences out of people to better influence their behavior.

Hope that helps. - by jdedwa11
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.