Home > Referrals > Asking for referrals

Asking for referrals

What would be a good script to use when asking for a referral?

For instance, "Hey, what's your sign? Do you know anyone who wants to buy a such and such?" :D - by Vince
For instance, "Hey, what's your sign? Do you know anyone who wants to buy a such and such?" :D
So how's that working for you? :p - by Jolly Roger
Example: "Mrs. Customer you look excited about your new tile floors. Congratulation, I think you made a great choice.

We're done here so I'm going to be on my way. I'm off to see if I can find someone else like yourself who is interested in transforming their old rooms into showrooms with new flooring. Say, maybe you could help me out.

First, would you feel confident referring our company to your friends or neighbors who might be interested in updating their floors too?

No? Too bad, give me some names. [Just kidding! :p ]

Yes? Great, over the last couple of months which of your friends or neighbors has expressed an interest in home improvements?

Blah, Blah, Blah... - by Jackie
No? Too bad, give me some names. [Just kidding! :p ].
Dang! You're ruthless. :D Do you want a job? :p - by Jolly Roger
I'm sure this depends on the scenario, environment, etc.

With that said, I'd be interested in reading others thoughts on this topic. - by Gilbert
Example: "Mrs. Customer you look excited about your new tile floors. Congratulation, I think you made a great choice.

We're done here so I'm going to be on my way. I'm off to see if I can find someone else like yourself who is interested in transforming their old rooms into showrooms with new flooring. Say, maybe you could help me out.

First, would you feel confident referring our company to your friends or neighbors who might be interested in updating their floors too?

No? Too bad, give me some names. [Just kidding! :p ]

Yes? Great, over the last couple of months which of your friends or neighbors has expressed an interest in home improvements?

Blah, Blah, Blah...
Jackie, with the exception of your "too bad" jest and the "Blah, Blah, Blah" part, do you use that model yourself? - by Gary Boye
Jackie, with the exception of your "too bad" jest and the "Blah, Blah, Blah" part, do you use that model yourself?
Nope, I made it up as I went along. You can use it if you'd like. :) - by Jackie
Nope, I made it up as I went along. You can use it if you'd like. :)
You're funny. Somehow I knew what your answer would be. But your script is a whole lot better than some of the stuff I've seen.

All this discussion on two threads about asking for referrals, we eagerly await someone among all of us seasoned polished sales pros to tell us how it is done.

I just confused the heck out of someone by giving direct answers to my views on referrals on another thread.

If anybody really has any answers as to how they go about asking for referrals, let me know. I'll be here holding my breath.

Ask for Blue Boy. - by Gary Boye
If anybody really has any answers as to how they go about asking for referrals, let me know.
Every sales call is different but I would guess there are some standard scripts available that could be modified to fit common scenarios. I would also guess that there are a few books or websites available for anyone who was interested in pursuing the subject. - by Jackie
Not to long ago I picked up a copy of a book called "Endless Referrals" by Bob Burg. I haven't read most of it and I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure it covered how to ask for referrals. When I get a chance I'll take a look and see what he says. - by Jackie
Paging Blue Boy aka The Manipulator Kid!

I don't typically ask for referrals.

In the course of a presentation or after a sale I say, "Think about the people you know who may be looking for what we have to offer. We'd love to talk with them if it's something they want to know more about."

When people call me as one did a week ago asking if someone had called me I told him NO and, "If you really want to help your friends ask them if I can call them and let me know if I can." He never called back and I didn't expect him to call back.

A guy selling financial services once put a sheet of paper in front of me asking me to list referrals - it had room for twenty-five. It was an affront and I didn't like it so I said, "Tom, I'll give you twenty-five referrals on the spot if you give me five first, right now."

He wouldn't do it - he had this and that reason of course. - by MitchM
Paging Blue Boy aka The Manipulator Kid!
A guy selling financial services once put a sheet of paper in front of me asking me to list referrals - it had room for twenty-five. It was an affront and I didn't like it.....
Okay--that jars loose something in my noggin. Nobody owes us referrals because we have given them the privilege of buying from us. - by Gary Boye
Okay--that jars loose something in my noggin. Nobody owes us referrals because we have given them the privilege of buying from us.
That was a challenge for me to accept once upon a time, Gary. BUT no, no one owes me a referral. - by MitchM
Okay--that jars loose something in my noggin. Nobody owes us referrals because we have given them the privilege of buying from us.
I would definately agree and say that if this is the impulse behind asking for a referral then the salesperson is way off base. - by Jackie
I would definately agree and say that if this is the impulse behind asking for a referral then the salesperson is way off base.
I've seen it, Jackie. I've seen it. - by Gary Boye
I've seen it, Jackie. I've seen it.
I believe you. Oh well, I guess some people have to learn the hard way. :) - by Jackie
I feel quite awkward when asking for referrals from my friends if they do not appreciate the products I am selling. I know that they would feel uncomfortable and feel that I am forcing them for referrals. So, I prefer that they give me willingly. - by khunvi
I feel quite awkward when asking for referrals from my friends if they do not appreciate the products I am selling. I know that they would feel uncomfortable and feel that I am forcing them for referrals. So, I prefer that they give me willingly.
Friends will refer you to others when the opportunity arises if they are confident that they won't get burned by giving the referral. - by fred
No one owes me a referral - not a satisfied customer or friend. BUT some satisfied customers or friends [not customers] will give me referrals if I'm trusted and they meet someone with a need and want-to.

There's no burden to simply giving the best service you can and then letting life run its course.

Mike - by MitchM
I don't typically ask for referrals.

In the course of a presentation or after a sale I say, "Think about the people you know who may be looking for what we have to offer. We'd love to talk with them if it's something they want to know more about."
That would qualify as asking for a referral in my book. - by saltydog
That would qualify as asking for a referral in my book.
I agree with saltydog. - by Gary Boye
I understand that's also in other people's books but not mine. If I were to say, "Give me some names" as some people have done with me that's a big distinction I make. If you don't we see it differently.

MitchM - by MitchM
I can agree with this. - by Agent Smith
I would have to agree with Salty, this is pretty common language for referral requests. - by Calvin
On sales forums I've seen endless threads [sometimes] actually debate [discuss] the infinitive: To ask or not to ask for referrals, that is the question. I've heard this argument in favor and that not in favor and then the question: is that really asking or not?

My conclusion is: it's the playground of life and we're all experts at play. Do your thing!

MitchM - by MitchM
On sales forums I've seen endless threads [sometimes] actually debate [discuss] the infinitive: To ask or not to ask for referrals, that is the question. I've heard this argument in favor and that not in favor and then the question: is that really asking or not?

My conclusion is: it's the playground of life and we're all experts at play. Do your thing!

MitchM
I suspect that sales scenarios vary and the wise man/woman would learn what works in his/her given scenario instead of applying blanket (playground) theories. ;wi - by Calvin
Would you offer an incentive for a referral? If you do offer an incentive is it still a referral? Just curious to know your thoughts. - by jdlusan
Would you offer an incentive for a referral? If you do offer an incentive is it still a referral? Just curious to know your thoughts.
I wouldn't offer an incentive up front but I might gift something as a way of showing my appreciation. - by Houston
Would you offer an incentive for a referral?
We have a community that is filling with new homes and current residents are being offered a cash bonus for each referral that closes in addition to having their names entered into a raffle contest. - by AZBroker
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.