Home > Approach > desperately need new approach

desperately need new approach

Hello to All,

After 25+ years of fairly successful direct selling to manufacturers, I am becomeing increasingly frustrated with my inability to get a response from new prospective customers. What used to work in the past, cold calling and following up with phone calls to try to schedule an appointment yeilds very little results. It seems that as companies are running leaner staffs and that the decisionmakers are more and more difficult to reach. Furthermore, when I can actually get through to someone I often get the same response, something to the effect that they have bigger fish to fry than to try to fix something that is not broken or to spend precious time to potentially save a few hundred or even a few thousand dollars a year.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreiciated. - by mswood
Would cold calling a more targeted list of prospects be any help? What other angles of approach are you considering? - by SpeedRacer
Thanks for the repley,

In most cases I know that they are a qualified prospect, after 14+ years in the same sales territory I know who most of the potential customers are, I just can't seem to get to first base.

Mark - by mswood
Can you get introductions or referrals from people your prospects know and respect? Would a direct mail campaign be of any use? - by SpeedRacer
Referals are always worth their weight in gold but are few and far between, direct mail has not proven effective.

I wonder if I should post this in the general listings as opposed to the new introductions section seeing as this is my first ime on this site. - by mswood
I wonder if I should post this in the general listings as opposed to the new introductions section seeing as this is my first ime on this site.
That is probably a good idea. - by SpeedRacer
I wonder if I should post this in the general listings as opposed to the new introductions section seeing as this is my first ime on this site.
I have moved this thread to the "Sales Approach" section. - by Admin-Asst
After 25+ years of fairly successful direct selling to manufacturers, I am becomeing increasingly frustrated with my inability to get a response from new prospective customers. What used to work in the past, cold calling and following up with phone calls to try to schedule an appointment yeilds very little results. It seems that as companies are running leaner staffs and that the decisionmakers are more and more difficult to reach.
Is the challenge gaining access to the decision maker or getting a response?

Furthermore, when I can actually get through to someone I often get the same response, something to the effect that they have bigger fish to fry than to try to fix something that is not broken or to spend precious time to potentially save a few hundred or even a few thousand dollars a year.
Is there a flame to fan here? Is this a "want" or a "priority" issue in your opinion? - by AZBroker
With cold calling, remember that business people are also consumers. Consumers have been getting fed up with getting more and more telemarketing calls at home which helped lead to the federal do-not-call list. This is part of the reason you're encountering resistance.

For myself I solved the problem of resistance in doing cold calling (executing my system is child's play, understanding it isn't). I would try role playing, recording yourself (off the phone) and have someone critique you. Also consider your competition. And look hard to get your answer. - by Wonderboy
probably both, in cases where I know who the decissionmaker is, it would be more accurate to say getting a response. - by mswood
Good thought, I would not have put the 2 together. I like your thinking, I may be presenting my product in such a way as to be comparing apples to oranges.

Thanks - by mswood
Good thought, I would not have put the 2 together. I like your thinking, I may be presenting my product in such a way as to be comparing apples to oranges.

Thanks
Not to be bragging, but I personally handled about a dozen problems that I solved (including a few classic ones) and I can add dozens more.

I'm now convinced there's always a solution in sales although it can take time to solve.

"...comparing apples to oranges." Couldn't put it better myself. - by Wonderboy
For myself I solved the problem of resistance in doing cold calling (executing my system is child's play, understanding it isn't).
What was the solution? - by realtor
What was the solution?
It's forthcoming in my book. - by Wonderboy
It's forthcoming in my book.
I remember you wrote that in another thread. Do you have any articles for people to read about your system? - by realtor
I remember you wrote that in another thread. Do you have any articles for people to read about your system?
Not yet. Part of the reason is that I've only became aware of this website about two months ago. For now I respond to individual posts on this website whereever I can and I do some posting of my own for discussion.

Does Sales Practice have a section devoted to articles? - by Wonderboy
Question for the administrative assistant: do you review submissions before being posted onto the forums?
All resource submissions received are held in a moderation queue until they can be reviewed. Once reviewed the accepted submissions are released for general viewing. - by Admin-Asst
All resource submissions received are held in a moderation queue until they can be reviewed. Once reviewed the accepted submissions are released for general viewing.
Then the poster can see his submission up on the website before it goes into general viewing, is that right? (not talking about the preview) - by Wonderboy
Then the poster can see his submission up on the website before it goes into general viewing, is that right? (not talking about the preview)
No. The poster will not be able to view his submission again until it has been approved by a moderator. - by Admin-Asst
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.