Home > Education > Why Should There Be A "One-Size-Fits-All" Approach To Successful Selling?

Why Should There Be A "One-Size-Fits-All" Approach To Successful Selling?

Many have been looking for that magic approach to selling with no success throwing their hands up in despair, shaking their heads and saying it must take that personality, that voice to sell. Some of these people have been looking for the proverbial one-size-fits-all selling formula which, on the face of it, can't exist in a sales environment.

Selling is a complicated field and getting more complicated all the time (e.g. you have niche marketing and now the internet). Therefore you need a system that combines a rigid approach with a flexible one to service your customer.

It's like taking clay and fashioning it to people's liking. You need the clay to make the statue, but you can make the statue in many different ways to suit people's tastes. Therefore, like clay, you need selling basics to start with (e.g. the words you use), BUT how you use those basic tools with your prospect can make a big difference in your immediate and future sales.

My system does combine a rigid with a flexible approach to fit the customer so while it may seem like a one-size-fits-all approach, it isn't because it lets the customer adjust your presentation to suit him or her. So, in effect, you can describe my system as the ultimate in niche marketing presenting to the consumer as the system can't be improved upon.

It's worthwhile to compare my system with another contributor to this website, Jacques Werth, with his High Probability Selling system. Here are the similarities with the differences.

1) JW: Seeks candidates for high-ticket items.
Mine: Seeks candidates for all products, services and offers.

2) JW: Seeks to catch prospects at the right time to avoid
wasting time with those not ready to buy.
Mine: Puts many people in the mood to buy that otherwise
wouldn't so the time is NOW (similar to direct response).

3) JW: As I understand it, successfully trained many people to sell
(I don't have figures for this).
Mine: Currently, 100% success with those who applied my
system (limited it to those who requested my help).

4) JW: Each step of his program builds upon the previous one.
Mine: A simple 3-step process which would take me less than
10 minutes to teach, the second step builds on the first
while the third step builds on the second.

5) JW: Doesn't specify whether all salespeople can benefit from his
program (outside of the restriction that his program is good
for high-ticket items).
Mine: Doesn't recognize a sales personality nor voice.

(if I'm off in any area with my comparison, I apologize beforehand).

In the entertainment business, you have thousands of successful performers. No one has ever been able to come up with a magic formula that says this person will become successful while the next one doesn't. So why should there be a sales personality while a performing personality doesn't exist?

Any questions? - by Wonderboy
Therefore, like clay, you need selling basics to start with (e.g. the words you use), BUT how you use those basic tools with your prospect can make a big difference in your immediate and future sales.
Your system provides the language to be used? - by Houston
Your system provides the language to be used?
In a word, no. That's one of the reasons why it's so flexible (but it is very specific). - by Wonderboy
In a word, no. That's one of the reasons why it's so flexible (but it is very specific).
What is the core concept behind your system? - by Houston
What is the core concept behind your system?
Getting the prospect involved instead of being an outsider. - by Wonderboy
Getting the prospect involved instead of being an outsider.
New ideas are hard to come by. Good luck with your system. sn; - by Houston
New ideas are hard to come by. Good luck with your system. sn;
Much testing and research with analysis and study went into it. As you sensed, the idea is really new (wish I could patent it as it's worth a fortune).

While I got your ear, I have a bit of mail order knowledge so I'll share a story to show that problems that look impossible to solve have solutions if you're willing to think outside of the box.

Joe Cossman is a mail order entrepreneur. He bought these earrings with little bells attached to them from someone who was unsuccessful selling them. All Joe did was to call them "Mother-In-Law" earrings and successfully sold them off to newlyweds to alert someone when the mother-in-law was around (you can look it up on the internet - it's a classic). - by Wonderboy
Much testing and research with analysis and study went into it. As you sensed, the idea is really new (wish I could patent it as it's worth a fortune)
There has been a lot of research on sales carried out over the years. How do you think your idea went unnoticed until now? - by Houston
There has been a lot of research on sales carried out over the years. How do you think your idea went unnoticed until now?
A number of myths have been floating around for years or preconceived notions which has held things up. One of the things that has helped me out is I'm bisociative (meaning I can put two and two...and two together to come up with new ideas) which you can check up on when you Google Arthur Koestler. - by Wonderboy
One of the things that has helped me out is I'm bisociative (meaning I can put two and two...and two together to come up with new ideas) which you can check up on when you Google Arthur Koestler.
I have looked that up before but couldn't make heads or tails of it. Can you sum up bisociative? - by Houston
I have looked that up before but couldn't make heads or tails of it. Can you sum up bisociative?
It would be taking two different things (items, concepts, ideas) and combining or linking them in some manner to come up with something new. The Mother-In-Law Earrings is a good example of this as you're taking the bells on the earrings and pretending to use them as an early warning detection system to alert you to the presence of your mother-in-law (one of the great product twists). - by Wonderboy
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.