Home > Resistance > Feel, Felt, Found

Feel, Felt, Found

Today we learned about responding to objections with a method called; "feel, felt, found".

Does this work because in my mind it sounds kind of corny. - by Jomsom
Today we learned about responding to objections with a method called; "feel, felt, found".

Does this work because in my mind it sounds kind of corny.
It depends on what you mean by "work". I'm told that network marketing training often includes the "feel, felt, found" technique. The litmus test for the effectiveness of almost all verbal tactics is whether your words are true. So--if the message is important, and truthful, and falls into the framework of "feel, felt, found' without sounding rehearsed, I believe that it can open up the conversation to give the seller further opportunity to make his/her case.

For those who are unfamiliar with the tactic, here's a simple example.

"I know how you feel. I felt the same way about learning a new language. What I found, once I got into it, was that it was really fun and much easier to learn than I thought it would be." - by Gary Boye
Thank you Gary. Maybe I'm just resisting too much. I just think that if someone responded to something I said with "feel, felt, found" I would notice it immediately and feel like I just got handed a line. Is it just me or do others feel the same way? - by Jomsom
I just think that if someone responded to something I said with "feel, felt, found" I would notice it immediately and feel like I just got handed a line.
You've got a good point. Hmmm... - by Newbie
But, if you think about it, are you sure you've never used that approach without thinking of it as a tactic? If you're using it to try and get someone to do something they really don't want to do - if you're playing a mind game - then, it will come across as contrived.

But, let's say a friend of yours has a fiance that wants him to take dancing lessons before their wedding. If you'd been through the same experience, but ended up enjoying it, you might say:

"I feel you, dude, and I didn't want to do it any more than you do. But after I learned a few things and felt comfortable doing that first dance with everyone I know watching me, I was really glad I'd taken the lessons!"

That's really no different than Gary's example of learning a new language. I think we all use that "tactic". But, if you feel you are being manipulative, that's when you'll end up sounding ridiculous.

Just my 2 cents.

Kathleen - by KSA-Mktg
Kathleen's post is right on.

Jomsom, if someone in your life is taking the time to teach you the concept behind "feel, felt, found", and you are resisting that training--you are doing yourself a great disservice. - by Gary Boye
Great example Kathleen. :) - by Jolly Roger
Thanks everyone for your comments.

Kathleen, that example made all of the difference. :) - by Jomsom
Jomsom,

Sometimes a word-picture is worth a thousand words, too.

I think that's what I really enjoy about selling. Done properly, you learn a lot about yourself, and how to help people think through a decision-making process. And, you might find that you use those skills in every day life, too.

The difference is that you can use the decision-making tools on purpose. If you have a real personal experience you can share with the feel, felt, found approach, that's a great decision-making tool.

Think how much better the conversation went with the friend and the dance lessons -- as opposed to saying something like "You're acting like an idiot! Take the lessons!" :D

But, I think these skills also come with the responsibility not to use them for evil. You could use them to manipulate a weak person into making a decision that isn't in their best interest. But, you can't make a long-term career doing things like that.

Well, guess that's enough from the soapbox for today... :rolleyes: - by KSA-Mktg
But, I think these skills also come with the responsibility not to use them for evil. You could use them to manipulate a weak person into making a decision that isn't in their best interest.
I agree. Tools don't manipulate people, people manipulate people. ;) - by Jolly Roger
Thank you Gary. Maybe I'm just resisting too much. I just think that if someone responded to something I said with "feel, felt, found" I would notice it immediately and feel like I just got handed a line. Is it just me or do others feel the same way?
I think I would notice it also. - by Kristina
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.