Home > Presentation > Letting Your Prospect Tailor Your Presentation For More Sales (Maybe Many More)

Letting Your Prospect Tailor Your Presentation For More Sales (Maybe Many More)

Think about it. Niche marketing is all about making certain products and services for certain prospects. How about letting your prospect help your presentation to suit him or her?

A trivial example can be when you're talking so fast that your prospect would ask you to slow down so he can follow you. Another closely related example is testing different ads and commercials to see what works.

A good question would be how much exploring has been done in the area of oral presenting as far as getting the consumer involved in the process of selling? - by Wonderboy
How about letting your prospect help your presentation to suit him or her?

A trivial example can be when you're talking so fast that your prospect would ask you to slow down so he can follow you.
What effect would this have on rapport?

Another closely related example is testing different ads and commercials to see what works.
Testing response rates is a key topic in marketing. Are you writing about something different?

A good question would be how much exploring has been done in the area of oral presenting as far as getting the consumer involved in the process of selling?
Getting the consumer involved is a common tip or topic in sales training. Are you asking about something different? - by Calvin
What effect would this have on rapport?

Testing response rates is a key topic in marketing. Are you writing about something different?

Getting the consumer involved is a common tip or topic in sales training. Are you asking about something different?
1) Rapport would increase.
2 and 3) The answer is yes to both questions. - by Wonderboy
1) Rapport would increase.
Unless the prospect asks you to slow down wouldn't your talking faster have a negative impact on rapport and wouldn't that reduce the chance of the prospect asking you to slow down?

2 and 3) The answer is yes to both questions.
Please explain. - by Calvin
Unless the prospect asks you to slow down wouldn't your talking faster have a negative impact on rapport and wouldn't that reduce the chance of the prospect asking you to slow down?

Please explain.
For the first one normally it would (one of the reasons why my method is so valuable as it automatically builds that rapport).

For the second and third questions, I feel that not enough has been done in the area of researching consumer involvement in a presentation as too much reliance is placed upon opinion and subjectivity (focus groups e.g.) and not enough objectivity where things can be measured precisely and consistently as I've experienced.

I may be one of the few who feel that oral selling can benefit tremendously from science (the only one I'm aware of who has scientific training is John Caples who wrote the book Tested Advertising Methods which I regard as one of the finest to learn selling in general along with mail-order advertising). - by Wonderboy
For the first one normally it would (one of the reasons why my method is so valuable as it automatically builds that rapport).
Doesn't mismatching break down rapport, even rapport that you believe your method automatically builds?

For the second and third questions, I feel that not enough has been done in the area of researching consumer involvement in a presentation as too much reliance is placed upon opinion and subjectivity (focus groups e.g.) and not enough objectivity where things can be measured precisely and consistently as I've experienced.
What research into consumer involvement have you reviewed and why do you feel it is lacking? - by Calvin
Doesn't mismatching break down rapport, even rapport that you believe your method automatically builds?

It could, but remember that opposites can attract too (other factors may be present that can affect rapport).

What research into consumer involvement have you reviewed and why do you feel it is lacking?
I've seen little research on consumer involvement (due to secrecy or companies just plain not doing it). The lack of research is notorious - I frequently bring up the disaster in B2C telemarketing which will be felt for years to come due to increasing phone calls along with the rebuttals and in non-telemarketing environments, the same basic mistakes are being made (reliance upon rebuttals which I pointed out in another thread has been a big turnoff to the public).

As I explained before elsewhere, there are two types of rebuttals:
those that work and those that don't. The ones that do should be built into a presentation and used as part of a consumer's decision-making process and not used to change minds (respect consumer choice - the first no is final). The ones that don't work, just drop them (the argument has been made that using rebuttals in a presentation can make the presentation too long - I say there are ways to keep the consumer interested regardless of the length of the presentation which requires testing).

Good advice is to always check your assumptions. Take nothing for granted (the reason why I feel my system is basic is a brain-related matter). - by Wonderboy
I've seen little research on consumer involvement (due to secrecy or companies just plain not doing it). The lack of research is notorious -
Have you reviewed the research by Huthwaite?

As I explained before elsewhere, there are two types of rebuttals: those that work and those that don't.
How do you account for skill in the handling of rebuttals?

The ones that do should be built into a presentation and used as part of a consumer's decision-making process and not used to change minds (respect consumer choice - the first no is final).
What sales training have you found that doesn't recommend building common questions and concerns into a presentation? - by Calvin
I may be one of the few who feel that oral selling can benefit tremendously from science (the only one I'm aware of who has scientific training is John Caples who wrote the book Tested Advertising Methods which I regard as one of the finest to learn selling in general along with mail-order advertising).
What scientific training have you had?

I've seen little research on consumer involvement (due to secrecy or companies just plain not doing it).
Where have you looked? - by Liberty
What scientific training have you had?

Two-year degree in basic science (chem major).

Where have you looked?
Internet, bookstores, talking with people. Constantly checking.

Not to be irritating, but rebuttals are not the way to go (some repliers seem to misunderstand what I mean by rebutting which is simply anything said by a rep to change a prospect's mind after the offer is declined - some prospects get irritated enough to hang up the phone in your face if you attempt to say anything else under these circumstances).

My system is the most flexible one around letting prospects controll the conversation to help in their decision making (aside from my system it helps to sound sincere - I spoke with a rep today who said "Wow..." when I cancelled a service which I didn't need - she tried everything to retain my account). - by Wonderboy
Internet, bookstores, talking with people. Constantly checking.
You might be looking in all the wrong places. Did you ever read the research by Huthwaite that Calvin brought up?

Not to be irritating, but rebuttals are not the way to go (some repliers seem to misunderstand what I mean by rebutting which is simply anything said by a rep to change a prospect's mind after the offer is declined - some prospects get irritated enough to hang up the phone in your face if you attempt to say anything else under these circumstances).
That isn't irritating to me. That's just common sense.

My system is the most flexible one around letting prospects controll the conversation to help in their decision making...
Compared to what other systems? - by Liberty
You might be looking in all the wrong places. Did you ever read the research by Huthwaite that Calvin brought up?

That isn't irritating to me. That's just common sense.

Compared to what other systems?
Compared with any you can imagine or know about (it's so basic that it covers all of oral selling). I have a logical reason for saying so (the only thing I will say is it works with the brain on a deeper level). Still, as powerful as it is, other ways of improving exist, but it makes a great starting point for selling (I've already compared with Jacque Werth's system which is more limited than mine as far as applications go - just Google to see). - by Wonderboy
(I've already compared with Jacque Werth's system which is more limited than mine as far as applications go - just Google to see).
Without giving away the farm Jacques has done a decent job of explaining, providing research data, and giving examples of how his system (High Probability Selling) works. The same can be said of Sharon Drew Morgen (Buying Facilitation) and Neil Rackham (SPIN Selling).

So far you haven't explained your system, provided research data, or given examples of how your system works. However, you have mentioned on numerous occassions how great your system is compared to other systems you've seen.

Will you step up like Jacques, Sharon Drew, and Neil have and provide this information or will you continue to be vague? - by Liberty
Without giving away the farm Jacques has done a decent job of explaining, providing research data, and giving examples of how his system (High Probability Selling) works. The same can be said of Sharon Drew Morgen (Buying Facilitation) and Neil Rackham (SPIN Selling).

So far you haven't explained your system, provided research data, or given examples of how your system works. However, you have mentioned on numerous occassions how great your system is compared to other systems you've seen.

Will you step up like Jacques, Sharon Drew, and Neil have and provide this information or will you continue to be vague?
If I were able to patent it (even then, Coca Cola TM has kept their formula a trade secret last time I checked). I plan on doing it, but this may open a Pandora's box - plenty of good mixed with undesirable effects such as loss of jobs and monopolies may result
(this is worth a separate discussion). - by Wonderboy
If I were able to patent it (even then, Coca Cola TM has kept their formula a trade secret last time I checked). I plan on doing it, but this may open a Pandora's box - plenty of good mixed with undesirable effects such as loss of jobs and monopolies may result (this is worth a separate discussion).
Are you familiar with the term "Vaporware"? - by Liberty
Wonderboy,

You might want to do a little research in the areas of neuro-linguistics, psycholinguistics, or just basic linguistics. The area of communication, verbal interaction and reception/cognition have been extensively researched--and are being researched--by scientists from many disciplines from both hard and soft sciences. Their findings are being applied throughout business, including sales.

Google "neuro-linguistics and sales" and you get about 55,000 hits. Ignore the NLP stuff which is quasi-linguistics based and you still have tens of thousands of hits. Google "linguistics and sales" and you'll find more places with information.

A good basic place to start might be Steve Martin's (not that Steve Martin), Heavy Hitter Selling (John Wiley and Sons, 2006). - by pmccord
Are you familiar with the term "Vaporware"?
I've devoted years to my research and study. You may be interested in knowing that the education field already employs the concept to a very limited extent (the entertainment industry also uses it successfully to what extent I don't know, sorry). I've tested it out successfully through others (to preserve the secret, I've mixed in other things to confuse my test group - only one failure due to sabotage on the part of the testee who didn't present at all as she thought it was very funny).

"Vaporware." I have overwhelming evidence, direct and indirect, to back me up (I've estimated about 95% of the reps can benefit).

I've said that jobs can be lost due to this system (process is a better description). In customer service, staffing often depends on call volume. What happens when the call volume goes down which can result from satisfying the customers? I already know that my process works very well in this area as well. I've already cost people jobs (how many I don't know) when my sales manager said,
"...you sell so well, I don't need to hire anyone else."

"Vaporware." I haven't made any explicit promises on this website to anyone. Plus I haven't sold my knowledge to anyone yet.

To mention, many ramifications exist with this process and I'm sure there are others that haven't come to mind yet. - by Wonderboy
Wonderboy,

You might want to do a little research in the areas of neuro-linguistics, psycholinguistics, or just basic linguistics. The area of communication, verbal interaction and reception/cognition have been extensively researched--and are being researched--by scientists from many disciplines from both hard and soft sciences. Their findings are being applied throughout business, including sales.

Google "neuro-linguistics and sales" and you get about 55,000 hits. Ignore the NLP stuff which is quasi-linguistics based and you still have tens of thousands of hits. Google "linguistics and sales" and you'll find more places with information.

A good basic place to start might be Steve Martin's (not that Steve Martin), Heavy Hitter Selling (John Wiley and Sons, 2006).
I'll check it out. - by Wonderboy
In my humble opinion, every interaction must have personal value to your prospect, client, etc.

There's no such thing as a canned demo, an email template or sales pitch. If a client or prospect spends enough time with me to understand thier needs, I would be embarassed to give them the same experience as everyone else.

I also have found it useful to ask the primary contact how they would like me to format the meeting/presentation so that each of the stakeholders they have invited to attend (and put thier own reputation on the line in the process) will get value out of having attended.

Just my two cents.

Justyn - by Justyn
I agree with you Calvin
I second that - by Ray47
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.